MacInsiders Logo

Need something to do!

Old 04-20-2010 at 06:44 PM   #1
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Need something to do!
Title is self-explanatory. I'm looking for something to do on these beautiful summer/spring days. XD I'm looking for things to do in the out of doors. I'm not interested in suggestions that involve being inside on these beautiful days. Of course, the freeer (cheaper) the better. I'm looking for ANYTHING so I won't limit your suggestions. My only requirements is that it be outside. So, throw me ALL your ideas. Even things as simple as visiting a nice little scenic park to do some reading.

Thanks in advance.

List:
1) Webster Falls in Dundas
2) Princess Point
3) Hike at Cootes

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 04-20-2010 at 07:04 PM.

kldv says thanks to lawleypop for this post.
Old 04-20-2010 at 06:53 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Go up to Websters Falls in Dundas (Take the 52/5B).

It's free and you get to go outside.

Or you could always walk over to Princess Point (Near King & Longwood) or Hike in Cootes if you don't want to travel too far.

lawleypop says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 04-20-2010 at 06:58 PM   #3
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Watch Dragon Ball on a laptop under a cozy tree?
Old 04-20-2010 at 07:00 PM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerDan View Post
Watch Dragon Ball on a laptop under a cozy tree?
I know you're probably just mocking me, but believe me when I say the ONLY thing stopping me is the fact that I need to use my TV as a monitor..

;D

Because trust me, otherwise I would have been outside under a tree today with my laptop. ;P

Last edited by lawleypop : 04-20-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-20-2010 at 07:03 PM   #5
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Study in the Sun (I call it having an SS day)

lawleypop likes this.
Old 04-20-2010 at 07:04 PM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
Study in the Sun (I call it having an SS day)
I don't plan on studying in the summer.

Old 04-20-2010 at 07:43 PM   #7
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Well... when it comes to waterfalls, there is far more then just Webster's Falls. It is certainly the nicest place to picnic, study, or play sports. But if you are interested in any other trips I have a ton completely timed out.
I've actually lead 4 hikes just this exam period (I am loving having my exams spaced out)

Tiffany Falls/Filman Falls/Washboard Falls/Sherman Falls would actually be the nearest available hike.

Sports on campus, there's always something going on. Ultimate Frisbee, Soccer, Football... hint, most of the groups playing sports on campus have NO problem with people randomly joining in regardless of skill level.
Also, a bunch of us have gathered in the oval field off campus near IWC to play frisbee a few times.

The hikes you mentioned are always nice.

Tour hamilton, just hop on a bus and go at it, you'd be surprised how much there is to see. I actually haven't done this because I bike a lot...

Go for a bike ride, Main is not the safest place to be (I've only been hit by a car once though). But there are a TON of safer routes, once downtown there are a lot of little nooks in the city.

Check out Chedoke Trail. If you follow rail trail towards the train yard (last road intersecting is Stroud) then hold right (you will end up going to a golf club building, there is a trail (you can also get to it from the North end of Dundurn) called Chedoke Trail, it goes up the escarpment, I've used it to get to a friends house up in Ancaster (he lives across from Peter George).

Have a fire (be super careful with this one, fires are illegal in this area as we are still zoned as urban). On a number of hikes there are a bunch of firepits though, you could always use those. Please be responsible on this, I've seen the damage stuff like root fires can do. (hint: it's not pretty)

Go tree climbing, just because you can. A lot of trees at Mac are actually really awesome climbing trees.

Once summer is here: attend one of the weekly festivals held somewhere in Hamilton. There is ALWAYS something happening.

Study? Plenty of wireless outside, I can even print stuff at home from campus now =D

Just run around screaming something incredibly random convincing people to look out their doors to figure out what is going on.

Organize a rally. Pick a topic and run with it

Last edited by kldv : 04-20-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: is = are

lawleypop says thanks to kldv for this post.

Michitsch likes this.
Old 04-20-2010 at 07:47 PM   #8
kldv
Just Some Guy

Also available: find friends living in Ancaster. Some may have parents with sailboats.

Sailing in Hamilton is actually super nice.

Also, pretty sure the outdoors club does some stuff through the summer.
Keep tabs on stuff they may be offering. Can definitely be worth your time.

If you have an actual back yard, get a hammock and laze in it. If you do not. Get one of the portable hammocks and set it up out in the cootes forest area.

Go lawn bowling
They have the club over in westdale. I know nothing about it, but if you wanted I'm sure you could get involved somehow.

Play in the kiddy play structures. Go with fun friends, it will be the most exciting time of your life.

Find friends with musical talent, go play music somewhere random (if you do this after 8pm the police will be called for noise disturbance though even on a Friday summer night)

Actually. Thanks for asking the question Cheri. I'm getting super pumped for my 3rd summer in Hamilton now.

There are a ton of MUCH better resources out there, but here is a general idea of where some of the best waterfalls in Hamilton are: http://map.hamilton.ca/Static/PDFs/A...terfallMap.pdf

And this is my favourite resource is a map of the bike routes in hamilton, it also marks the difficulty and danger levels of the roads, I use this thing all the time: http://map.hamilton.ca/Static/PDFs/P...urban_2005.pdf

I'm beginning to disdain you for your post now. I have an exam at 9am and I am beyond distracted now.

Last edited by kldv : 04-20-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Old 04-20-2010 at 09:36 PM   #9
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

Go to the waterfront. There's a bus that goes there from downtown, it's called the No. 4- Bayfront bus. There's a Williams Coffee Pub there with an outdoor patio(you can look it up on Google Maps to find out how to get there). I love to go there in the summer, have a latte, sit outside near the water. They also have a couple other places, like an ice cream shop, I don't know if it's open yet though.

If you're in Hamilton still next month, you could go to the James North Art Crawl. It happens every second Friday of each month so this month's has already passed but the next one will be Friday May 14th. It starts at 7pm, it's free, on James North downtown. All the galleries are open until 10 or 11, it varies. This obviously partially involves being inside, but it's great to go in the summer because you spend a lot of time walking outside, plus there's usually crafter's markets, performers, music, etc. outside.

My favorite waterfall is Chedoke Falls. It's off Bruce Trail in the west end, kinda near Locke St. area, but it's a little hard to get to so it helps if you go with someone who knows where it is. But it is so worth it, it's so beautiful.

Oh and I second the hammock idea. That's all I've been doing lately in between studying. It's so hard to study in a hammock :(

lawleypop says thanks to EmilySusie for this post.
Old 04-20-2010 at 09:46 PM   #10
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Um go outside and collect moss and then make yourself a moss terrarium. That is probably what I'll be doing.

Kelsey18, Michitsch like this.
Old 04-20-2010 at 09:49 PM   #11
kldv
Just Some Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilySusie View Post
Go to the waterfront. There's a bus that goes there from downtown, it's called the No. 4- Bayfront bus. There's a Williams Coffee Pub there with an outdoor patio(you can look it up on Google Maps to find out how to get there). I love to go there in the summer, have a latte, sit outside near the water. They also have a couple other places, like an ice cream shop, I don't know if it's open yet though.

If you're in Hamilton still next month, you could go to the James North Art Crawl. It happens every second Friday of each month so this month's has already passed but the next one will be Friday May 14th. It starts at 7pm, it's free, on James North downtown. All the galleries are open until 10 or 11, it varies. This obviously partially involves being inside, but it's great to go in the summer because you spend a lot of time walking outside, plus there's usually crafter's markets, performers, music, etc. outside.

My favorite waterfall is Chedoke Falls. It's off Bruce Trail in the west end, kinda near Locke St. area, but it's a little hard to get to so it helps if you go with someone who knows where it is. But it is so worth it, it's so beautiful.

Oh and I second the hammock idea. That's all I've been doing lately in between studying. It's so hard to study in a hammock :(
The Art Crawl is new to me, but I go to that Williams once every few Mondays year round, definitely a nice place to be.

My favourite waterfall is either Tew's Falls or Albion Falls though. Still haven't fully decided.

I fall asleep in the Hammock every time, studying just does NOT work.

Also nice in the summer is heading to the Farmer's market in Jackson square. The food is excellent, fresh, and cheaper than our local supermarkets (my weekly expenditures drop to around $20 a week)

Also, go for a stroll down Locke st (excellent stores to shop in, or window shop in)

Old 04-20-2010 at 10:22 PM   #12
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

I second the Harbourfront and...Dundurn Castle, well the surrounding area...didn't have time to explore the back...there's supposedly a good view of Burlington Bay from the back..

lawleypop says thanks to marieeeeeee for this post.
Old 04-20-2010 at 10:44 PM   #13
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

I know I'm being painfully stereotypical (of my usual Hammer promoting self), but I would most certainly recommend a walk down Locke Street on a Friday afternoon followed by a casual stroll through the surrounding neighbourhood. It really is an amazing little enclave in downtown, and if you find yourself needing to spend money, they have a quaint little organic supermarket, a fair trade shop, the Locke Street Bakery and a brand new cheese shop.

Yes. A Cheese Shop.

"I was sitting in the public library in Sermon Street just now, skimming through 'Rouge Harry's' by Horace Walpole, when I suddenly came over a little peckish."
"Peckish, sir?"
"Assuriant."
"Eh?"
"Eee, aower all 'ungry like!"
"Ah, hungry."
"In a nutshell. So I thought to myself, a little fermented curd will do the trick. So I curtailed my Walpolling activities, sallied forth and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some cheesy comestibles."
"Come again?"
"I want to buy some cheese!"

lawleypop says thanks to c.erl for this post.
Old 04-20-2010 at 11:35 PM   #14
killza

Liked: 105 Times

exericse

EmilySusie, kldv, temptingf8 like this.
Old 04-20-2010 at 11:46 PM   #15
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Get an outdoor job
Explore the city completely
Swim in the harbour and grow an extra limb
Wander around and play endless amounts of pranks on pedestrians and people (troll irl)
Learn a martial art
Volunteer
Try to live in the wild with absolutely no electronics, clothes or items or anything; find your own food etc
Bike
Train till you can run over 9000m
Make random art and put it up in random places
Try to catch a squirrel
Go about your business with as little clothes on as possible and try make people very uncomfortable in places like malls and street corners
Become a bounty hunter and rid the city of the undesirables

kldv likes this.