MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Physics Tutor Needed Asap! jass Academics 10 11-03-2010 08:55 AM
Need Econ 2x03/2g03 Tutor Asap Sam321 Academics 0 09-24-2010 03:28 PM
Need a math tutor? Need help with Math 1M03 or 1K03? Im your guy :D ShahrukhKhan Academics 4 08-19-2010 08:31 AM
I Need A Tutor ASAP - Physics 1E03 Bobert Academics 6 03-09-2009 05:25 PM

Need a tutor for math 1k03 ASAP

Old 05-09-2010 at 09:16 PM   #1
jordko

Liked: 13 Times

Need a tutor for math 1k03 ASAP
Hey I'm looking for a tutor that could help me with intro calc 1k03
The lower you charge the better
Can be in the Hamilton/ Burlington area

Msg me with your contact info.
Old 05-11-2010 at 10:03 AM   #2
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I wanted to let you know that I was hired by the department of math and stats to hold regular office hours throughout the summer. While this may not be as good as a private tutor, it has the benefit of being free, haha.

I haven't set these hours yet, but presumably I'll be around twice a week in the mid-afternoon to answer any and all math course related questions...if you're struggling with the course material, in any way, I encourage you to come.

I'm not entirely sure I can tutor you since it may constitute a "conflict of interest," but here's a link to my tutoring page regardless:

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/~parchimp/tutoring.html

Good luck!

jordko says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 05-11-2010 at 10:35 AM   #3
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Mowicz! Are you Mike, the TA for 1XX3 last term!? Wow I sooo didnt know that You were really great! Ill probably be by your office hours this summer for 2R03, Im expecting it to be tough
Old 05-11-2010 at 12:18 PM   #4
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Mowicz! Are you Mike, the TA for 1XX3 last term!? Wow I sooo didnt know that You were really great! Ill probably be by your office hours this summer for 2R03, Im expecting it to be tough
Math 2R03 with Jonathan Yazinski? I'm envious, that man is a god.
Old 05-11-2010 at 01:23 PM   #5
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Math 2R03 with Jonathan Yazinski? I'm envious, that man is a god.
Yes with him! Is he good? Is the course hard :S I got a B+ in Algebra I and I found it really hard
Old 05-11-2010 at 01:53 PM   #6
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

I actually don't know anything about the course. It looks pretty different from what we're doing in Engineering math, though we did cover a bit of vector spaces last year.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...881.html#50713

I do, however, know about Jon Yazinski. I did my fair share of research of the guy during the fall term as he was supposed to teach the math we just finished this term, but there was sort of a mess and he didn't end up teaching.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....574 927&saved

That was his last day teaching Stats 1L03 in the fall term. I didn't take the course (I actually don't have permission to) but I attended regularly near the end just because he was such a fun prof to listen to.

If we have at least one mutual friend, you should be able to see that. He's just so great.

goodnews.inc says thanks to Entropy for this post.
Old 05-11-2010 at 02:07 PM   #7
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

says video unavailable :( and i think the course is gonna be brutal, thats why im taking it in the summer, so i can better focus on it and only it, cause im gonna bomb. if hes and interesting or fun prof that will help alot though, since its a 7-10 night class. but yea, Alg 1 was all vector spaces, eigenvalues, eigenvectors, determinants, a bunch of stuff i just could not wrap my head around.. to me calc is a breeze, but algebra is bad
Old 05-11-2010 at 03:58 PM   #8
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

Melanie: I'm taking 2RO3 this summer too (and coincidentally, my name is also Melanie )

I hope it's not too hard, but maybe we can form a study group to help each other through it?

And I"m glad that Yasinski is a decent professor, that's good to hear!

I'm kinda nervous about 2R03, because I didn't take 1B03, I took an equivalent correspondence course through Laurentian University last summer, so I don't now if I am fully prepared for it :S
Old 05-11-2010 at 04:15 PM   #9
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Well I hated 1B03 and 2R03 is the only course scaring me this year, im actually excited for Differential Equations and Calculus lol
are you in the math program?
(study group is a good idea, cause im only taking that one course im gonna have so much time on my hands)
Old 05-11-2010 at 04:36 PM   #10
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

I'm going into third year kin, but doing a minor in math.

I liked Differential equations for the most part, and I only took 2X03, not 2XX3, and it was fairly interesting...the prof, Min-Oo, is kinda crazy, but it's generally a good time

Melanieee says thanks to jade177 for this post.
Old 05-11-2010 at 05:44 PM   #11
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade177 View Post
I'm kinda nervous about 2R03, because I didn't take 1B03, I took an equivalent correspondence course through Laurentian University last summer, so I don't now if I am fully prepared for it :S
I tutored a student in your exact situation in October for the rest of the semester...their "1B03" equivalent actually went more into the 2R03 material.

You should be more than prepared for the course.

Linear Algebra II is essentially an abstraction of Linear Algebra I: instead of dealing with specific examples, like "the space of n x n matrices" or
|R^n, or |P^n (polynomials of degree less than or equal to n) you "abstract" the concept of a vector space and define some axioms.

Axioms are things which are accepted as truth without being proven. Things like "There is a zero vector." Elementary building blocks that can be used to prove other theorems!

What kind of theorems? Well this is really an elementary course in proof so you won't prove anything mind blowing...but you should be able to show things like, if a + b = a + c, then b must equal c.

(Note that this isn't true in general...but over a Vector Space (like the real numbers we know and love), it is true)

Please let me know if you have any questions. (:
---------

And yes, I'm Mike the TA from 1AA3/1XX3 last semester. (:

Last edited by Mowicz : 05-11-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-11-2010 at 05:48 PM   #12
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post

And yes, I'm Mike the TA from 1AA3/1XX3 last semester. (:
yay mike!
Old 05-11-2010 at 07:36 PM   #13
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I actually don't know anything about the course. It looks pretty different from what we're doing in Engineering math, though we did cover a bit of vector spaces last year.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...881.html#50713

I do, however, know about Jon Yazinski. I did my fair share of research of the guy during the fall term as he was supposed to teach the math we just finished this term, but there was sort of a mess and he didn't end up teaching.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....574 927&saved

That was his last day teaching Stats 1L03 in the fall term. I didn't take the course (I actually don't have permission to) but I attended regularly near the end just because he was such a fun prof to listen to.

If we have at least one mutual friend, you should be able to see that. He's just so great.
I love you.
That was one of the happiest moments of my life.
I was so ...so happy.
He's an amazing guy but that course was .......challenging.
...I feel so good reliving that.
Thank you.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 05-11-2010 at 10:56 PM   #14
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I love you.
That was one of the happiest moments of my life.
I was so ...so happy.
He's an amazing guy but that course was .......challenging.
...I feel so good reliving that.
Thank you.
Heh, not a problem. I'm glad I'm not the only one here who knows who he is.

Did he ever get around to telling you guys what his favourite movie was? I occasionally kept in touch with him, but he never answered me. =\