Buying a Netbook Tailsnake Computers & Tech 13 08-22-2010 11:56 PM
So I need a netbook.... Ownaginatios Computers & Tech 19 01-29-2010 11:03 AM
Netbook vs Notebook Sultan General Discussion 11 08-16-2009 11:32 AM

Netbook

Old 07-16-2011 at 06:31 PM   #1
aa84

Liked: 0 Times

Netbook
Soo... I need a new laptop but can't really afford one so I'm looking at netbooks.
What I need:
word processing - microsoft office,
good battery,
processor - at least 1.6Hz.. is this okay?
Any good deals out there?
Old 07-16-2011 at 08:43 PM   #2
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Before buying a netbook, it might be a good idea to find one and use it for a bit first. They have horrible performance and you should be prepared for that before putting any money down.
Old 07-16-2011 at 08:46 PM   #3
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa84 View Post
Soo... I need a new laptop but can't really afford one so I'm looking at netbooks.
What I need:
word processing - microsoft office,
good battery,
processor - at least 1.6Hz.. is this okay?
Any good deals out there?
I wouldn't be using this as your main computer unless you're also planning to get a monitor. I think the screen will be way too small which might get in the way of your work.

You're better off getting a much older laptop for the same price. Like buying used from a friend or even this: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio..._17_A50-156301

The above laptop is not much more than a netbook and so much more worth it.

Edit: I forgot to type a word.
Old 07-16-2011 at 08:53 PM   #4
enon

Liked: 10 Times

what's your budget?

you should bear in mind that some netbooks have fairly cramped keyboards and trackpads, and aren't great if you plan on taking extensive notes or writing papers. I'm talking about the 10.1 inch screen netbooks. There are 11.6 inch ones which are a bit more expensive, but have practically full size keyboards.

The best brand for bang for your buck (price, durability and battery life) in this category is Asus.
Old 07-16-2011 at 09:21 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I would suggest looking into some of those computers in between netbooks and laptops. I've currently got the Lenovo x120e, and I'm pleased with its performance and battery life. Some of the higher end eeePC line computers are good too.

Don't go with the really cheap ones... the performance is generally horrible, even for general user stuff.
Old 07-17-2011 at 05:11 PM   #6
aa84

Liked: 0 Times

I just need it for taking class notes and taking on campus for light computing. The only programs I`m really keen on is Microsoft Office and will need to browse the net. I have a desktop at home, so that`s what i`ll use most of the time.
buget wise.. I`m broke :( probably can`t go much higher than 200

Last edited by aa84 : 07-17-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: ...
Old 07-17-2011 at 05:42 PM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Since you cannot spend more than $200 I suggest finding a used laptop but if you can't I guess a netbook would do. As for deals check out tigerdirect?
Old 07-17-2011 at 06:03 PM   #8
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa84 View Post
I just need it for taking class notes and taking on campus for light computing. The only programs I`m really keen on is Microsoft Office and will need to browse the net. I have a desktop at home, so that`s what i`ll use most of the time.
buget wise.. I`m broke :( probably can`t go much higher than 200
You'll be pretty hard pressed to find a new netbook for $200 or less (Though you can find them for this price at times during sales). If you only have $200, you're better off looking for something used:
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/f-buy-and-...minP riceZ100
Old 07-17-2011 at 06:08 PM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Ive been looking for a netbook under $200 for programming linux but I cant find one.. cheapest ive seen is like $230+tax

Sorry, but your out of luck if you can't go over 200, only option is a used netbook/laptop.

On the plus side, you wanted only 1.6Hz processor, and seeing how processors now on netbooks are usually >1GHz, your fine :p
Old 07-17-2011 at 09:32 PM   #10
Silent Hero
Account Disabled by User

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I build computers as a hobby and I've been deemed from friends and family as a technology wiz. I just want to emphasize that the processor speed 1.6Ghz, is NOT A GOOD indication of how FAST your computer is. Repeat, Processor speed is a BAD IDEA to estimate how fast it is. If you do research on the topic, yes the faster the clockspeed is the faster the computer, but CPUs use vast architectures and an AMD cpu at 2.0Ghz is NOT necessarily, and mostly isn't the same as an INTEL CPU clocked at 2.0Ghz. There's loads of more features such as Turbo Boost, HyperThreading that will contribute to your computers performance. Now the problem in this scenario is cost. And you listed you needed Word and a Good Battery Life. Netbooks in this case obviously fit the bill, if all you do is Word Processing then getting a netbook or a cheap ultraportable laptop is what you need. Netbooks generally have Intel Atom processors read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_atom

They are quite slow but they'll do the job. IF you're looking for a specific retailer I recommend Canada Computers. http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=710_2 8_377
They generally have cheap and good quality stuff, if you can go for an Asus Netbook they are the flagship company in netbooks, they started it.
That's just a list of available 10 inch netbooks. Just browse around the site, hopefully you can find what you're looking for. I recommend you do some more research on shopping for a computer. There's nothing worst than buying a computer that ends up being really terrible and paying a fortune for it. If you can pitch in a couple more 100 dollars you might be able to get a larger ultraportable notebook such as this:
http://canadacomputers.com/product_i...em_id =038860

I strongly recommend any laptop with that processor the AMD E-350 Fusion Dual Core processor. It is aimed at low budget computers, but offers INCREDIBLE price/performance ratio. Meaning you get more kick or speed out of your processor for dollar you pay. Brand is really not an issue, just try to shop for processors and not all the unimportant features such as RAM/Hard Drive Space that can easily be remedied by purchasing an external hard drive or adding more ram. the Processor is the HEART + soul of your computer.

Just do some research on the web, there's nothing I can tell you that google can't explain better. Good luck. Contact me if you have any questions.

aa84 says thanks to Silent Hero for this post.
Old 07-17-2011 at 10:33 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Hero View Post
AMD E-350 Fusion Dual Core processor
Wth is that? And how does it compare to i3, i5, etc on pretty much every single ad I see?
Old 07-17-2011 at 10:55 PM   #12
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,2790-3.html

It's not meant to compete with the portable i3/i5 CPUs, but it compares favourably to the Dual-Core Atom/Ion Combo (Which is pretty damn good considering that's the Combo that powers the Asus 1215N which runs as well as any normal laptop) and completely blows away the normal ~1.6GHz single core Atom in most Netbooks.