Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New planet content! andrew22 General Discussion 10 12-18-2009 11:52 AM

New Enriched Content in MORRIS!

Old 01-02-2007 at 10:41 AM   #1
KristaG
Mills - Reference Librarian

Liked: 37 Times

New Enriched Content in MORRIS!
The library is pleased to announce that enriched content is now available in MORRIS, the library catalogue! What is enriched content? It includes book summaries, reviews, jacket covers and table of contents. These features are now displayed in the MORRIS record for the book. While enriched content may not be available for all MORRIS items, many are now displaying this new information. Want more information? Check out the following link:

http://library.mcmaster.ca/php/blog....displ ay=full

Looking for an example of enriched cotent? Do a title search in MORRIS (http://library.mcmaster.ca) for ICon: Steve Jobs, the greatest second act in the history of business.

Don't know how to search MORRIS? Feel free to visit the research help desk on the second floor of Mills Library.

Old 01-02-2007 at 02:21 PM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Excellent! This is great because now you're bringing features into MORRIS that are standard on most large book sites on the internet. People are used to seeing these features on Amazon and Indigo, it brings MORRIS to a whole new level!

Keep the enhancements coming!
Old 01-02-2007 at 02:29 PM   #3
KristaG

If you like the Amazon features, keep your eyes open for more! You may have noticed the piece in the Daily News which mentioned that we purchased Endeca, which I believe is the same software that Amazon uses. It will make MORRIS more user freindly. I'll be posting more on this when it is released. Until then, take a look at the Daily News feature:

http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /story.cfm?id=4274
Old 01-02-2007 at 03:49 PM   #4
williamhend

Liked: 0 Times

THIS IS PERFECT. You don't know how much the ability to SEE the book cover will help me find the book!
Old 01-02-2007 at 03:50 PM   #5
JenniferW

I think this is a great addition to the library. I like how our libraries are becoming more modern and upgrading to keep up with the times... we have LCD screens, a lot more computers, more outlets for laptops, librarians on msn, its very nice
Old 01-02-2007 at 03:56 PM   #6
sarahsweet

Liked: 13 Times

nice
I agree with william... being able to see the cover will help out a lot

Amazon is where I buy used books... they have really good deals, now that morris is looking more like amazon I think students will be able to navigate the site faster

Quote:
They can now search results ranked by relevance, and refine navigation by topic, author, genre, language, material type, format, and availability.
more search functions? who wouldn't want that! love it
Old 01-02-2007 at 04:05 PM   #7
Bones89

I was just looking at a new book at morris and saw all these changes its wonderful

what I like the most is being able to see reviews, theres reviews from 'booklist' now (whatever that is) but they seem helpful, tells you all about how good the author is and what to expect in the book
Old 01-02-2007 at 04:20 PM   #8
williamhend

hey Krista, does the new Endeca software have the thing that amazon has where you can actually read like the first few pages of the book to see what its like? I always found that to be neat, I know you meantioned it has the table of contents on there now, which is great
Old 01-03-2007 at 08:16 AM   #9
KristaG

I'll see if I can find out and get back to you on the peek inside feature. Glad to hear that everyone is excited about our new features!
Old 01-03-2007 at 09:14 AM   #10
KristaG

Unfortunately, at this point, there is no feature similar to Amazon's look inside.
Old 01-05-2007 at 10:47 AM   #11
williamhend

Oh well.. it would be cool if it had it. I think the cover and table of contents is a good start!
Old 01-05-2007 at 10:50 AM   #12
JenniferW

I really like RefWorks cause it makes my bibliography for me and all the citations

anyone else use it?
Old 01-05-2007 at 11:45 AM   #13
KristaG

I know I use it!

If you're not sure what RefWorks is, it's a citaiton management software that you can use freely as a Mac student. You can use it from home and on campus. You can create folders (ie. papers for Psych 1a03) and keep your things together. It will also help you create a bibliography for your final work.

Not sure how to use it and want to learn more? You can stop in at a drop-in session in the Wong Room in Mills Library (L107) on Jan 19 at 1:30-2:20 or Feb 14 11:30-12:20.
Old 01-07-2007 at 10:10 PM   #14
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Ya, Refworks has definately been a great help to me for making my bibliographies, and one of the reasons I like picking books to cite from the mac library