MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are my credits still transferable even if I only pass 24 credits? Unhandylemons Academics 1 03-07-2014 11:39 PM
Need help with transfer credits sodiekooner Academics 2 08-10-2013 04:06 PM
Solar block because of credits- Commerce student 4thYear Academics 0 06-05-2013 05:30 PM
How many credits is each course? Alexmahone Academics 11 06-17-2012 03:09 PM

New student: use or not to use IB credits

Old 06-11-2016 at 12:00 AM   #1
Five9

Liked: 0 Times

New student: use or not to use IB credits
Although I haven't found out my final scores, I'm trying to decide whether or not I'd use IB Chemistry HL and IB Biology HL credits (I'm in Life Sciences I, looking at Biochemistry co-op stream).

I sort of "pre-read" IB biology and I found that I hated re-learning things I read on my own, even though it was much easier and I got higher marks. It just really bored me. Therefore I'm scared that if IB does overlap with first year courses a lot, I don't want to bore myself out first term and make an unnecessary program change or something.

So: is it possible to take a peek at some coursework from BIOL 1A03/1M03 and CHEM 1A03/1AA3? Or, for past IB students: was IB very similar to these first year courses?

For now, I'm thinking of at least skipping BIOL 1M03 (I hated evolution) and CHEM 1A03 and just taking BIOL 1A03 and CHEM 1AA3 since it does give a good review/easier marks.

Note: This is important to me because I wanted to use that free space to take more physics courses than usual in case i want to switch to physical science.
Old 06-11-2016 at 12:22 AM   #2
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

All of my friends who did IB are in health sci and they said that they learned everything in Chem 1A+1AA already so it was just revision for them. Can't comment on biology though. I'm not sure if they were all taking 1A+1AA just for high marks or because McMaster gave them a grade 12 equivalent credit. I know McMaster does some weird shit in terms of exchanging AP credits where they give you a university credit that's equivalent to a high school course (usually a course taken by those missing the prereq cuz they didnt do it in high school) so you may want to see what credit they'll be willing to give you for your HL courses.
Old 06-12-2016 at 05:28 PM   #3
Five9

Liked: 0 Times

For Chemistry HL I'll be getting Chem 1A03 and 1AA3
For Biology HL I'll be getting BIOL 1A03 and 1M03.

If anyone else can comment on the difficulty of bio that'd be great
Old 06-23-2016 at 02:06 PM   #4
Starships2

Liked: 3 Times

The bios are relatively easy. That being said you can do second year bio without needing bio 1a03 and 1m03. So your call once again
Old 06-23-2016 at 09:58 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starships2 View Post
The bios are relatively easy. That being said you can do second year bio without needing bio 1a03 and 1m03. So your call once again
Since when?! Every second-year bio course requires 1M03 and/or 1A03 or an equivalent (depending on the course).
Old 06-23-2016 at 11:00 PM   #6
Starships2

Liked: 3 Times

I meant by using their IB credits and receiving credits for both bios, they wouldnt be at a disadvantage.
Old 06-23-2016 at 11:34 PM   #7
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

Oh yeah, completely forgot to mention that Bio 1A03 recently incorporated the blended learning model so you're gonna have an online component for the majority of your lectures and since you said you don't enjoy relearning stuff, i get the feeling you're probably gonna hate your life so that's something to consider.
Online modules make me cry cuz they eat up a significant chunk of your weekend.

But even if you do end up redeeming your credits, you're probably going to end up doing Bio 2B03 sometime in the future which is a continuation of Bio 1A03 and it has the exact same format of blended learning. So you'll have to think about whether you would rather do blended learning bio twice or do it once with no prior experience with blended learning bio. You'll do blended learning in Chem 1A03 and Psych 1X03, but theyre kinda different from the way bio works in my opinion.

Blended learning is some serious bullshit; it's a sugar-coated name for "90% online self learning". And it's so funny because when you go on tours and stuff, no one mentions anything about blended learning (and if someone does, it's usually a small one-liner that you'll probably miss cuz you didn't think it was important).

Last edited by Imperious : 06-23-2016 at 11:44 PM.