MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
The New MSU Board Of Directors Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 05-10-2012 07:52 AM
MSU Board Of Directors starting May 1st Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-24-2012 07:12 AM
The New 2012/2013 MSU Board Of Directors Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-07-2012 06:51 PM
MacInsiders TV: We speak with your incoming Board Of Directors Chad MacInsiders Announcements 17 07-24-2008 01:36 PM
New MSU Board Of Directors Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-16-2007 10:40 AM

New Video Featuring the MSU Board Of Directors

TAC Fall 2012 Nominations
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 10-12-2012 at 11:10 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 2,314 Times
Out of ~40 courses I've taken, only 8% of those professors are above average in teaching ability, and that's given that I think I've been luck with who I've ended up. It's not even like that many people are recognized, isn't only one prof from each faculty chosen? There's like what... 100s of profs per faculty, no? When I saw this video the only thought that came to mind was "jerking off the 1%".

Use money and resources to attract good profs to Mac, implement a program for evaluating and advocating the removal of professors during the semester, an upper-year run MSU-supported peer tutoring for specific courses, or events that showcase good professors throughout the year. I see a lot of very 'safe' things being tackled usually seeming not to step on people's toes; no actual solving of issues...?
(I know MSU teaching awards has existed for some time. I've never actually heard of the ceremony taking place, or a prof I know being awarded while I've went here; Zurob and Capson pre-2008)
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 10-12-2012 at 02:03 PM   #3
AngryBean
Account Locked
Year: Other

Liked: 129 Times
@RyanC

Okay, as far as I know, professors are not teachers. When they decide to work in McMaster, they decide based work environment and career expansion possibilities alongside the location/salary. They are obligated to teach by contract, they do not always know how to bring the material to students.... or speak English well enough.

I know it sucks, but its the reality. One thing where university education is behind colleges.
Old 10-14-2012 at 12:43 AM   #4
spenceman91
Program: Biology
Year: Fourth
Residence: Brandon 09-10

Liked: 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Use money and resources to attract good profs to Mac, implement a program for evaluating and advocating the removal of professors during the semester, an upper-year run MSU-supported peer tutoring for specific courses, or events that showcase good professors throughout the year. I see a lot of very 'safe' things being tackled usually seeming not to step on people's toes; no actual solving of issues...?
Hey Ryan,
Good ideas. I agree that there need to be some major changes made to the quality and format of our education here at Mac. The MSU obviously holds a considerable amount of sway, but some ideas are easier said than done. I understand your concern over 'safe' issues as opposed to change. We have complete control over how the MSU operates, but when it comes to making changes to the university institution, all we can do is advocate; we can't force them to do anything. So yes, we do offer/promote things like social campaigns, clubs, teaching awards, businesses and services (I assume that's what you mean by safe things) because we can do these effectively within our organization (and do a damn good job with them). Making headway into educational issues is slightly more difficult, but definitely still doable. When communicating with the university, we just need to be clear with what the problem is, what we are proposing, and how to go about changing it (i.e. less complaining, more addressing, suggesting, and solving). For example:

- Using money and resources to attract good profs isn't specific enough as a solution. It seems to me that once a professor begins teaching at a university, they typically stay there for the remainder of their teaching career (not likely to switch schools). Mac, like other schools, does have its fair share of less than stellar professors... but how do they get their positions? From what I know, it's a weird cycle. A lot of profs begin as fellows, like apprentices to the current professor at the school. Then they work their way up to teaching more through the prof in place. So that's probably the problem; maybe this is a system that's in need of change. That's a tough one though, since it's such an engrained way of doing things (grad school --> PhD --> teaching fellowship --> tenured prof).

- I like your ideas of implementing an advocating system to notify the university of subpar professors. It sounds similar to the Ombuds office that we currently have, yet the ombuds generally deal with specific issues that a student may have against a prof (among many other things). But yeah, what about profs that simply just aren't very good at teaching? Now that kind of issue is something the MSU could look into; but getting a prof fired is not something that the university will take lightly, or even want to do. Again, maybe fixing those types of situations from the beginning (as mentioned above) would be more effective.

I'm on the SRA this year (Science caucus), as well as the Teaching Awards committee. I'll be sure to pass on your ideas about prof quality, teaching advocacy programs and peer-tutoring programs to the VP Ed (Huzaifa Saeed) and your idea about prof showcasing events to the TAC Co-ordinator (Rebecca McDougall).

RyanC likes this.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search