MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Reminders for Back To School Chad Academics 32 07-04-2009 07:30 PM
Reminders Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-20-2008 07:37 AM
SOLAR reminders Chad ARCHIVES 0 07-19-2007 07:51 AM

New Years Reminders

With all the hubbub of the holidays and New Years Eve a lot of people forget that there are a ton of things you need to think about before you go back for Term II. Here is a list of reminders for you to help get the term off to a good start!

Residence Move In
  • Students are allowed to move back into their residence as of 7AM on Sunday January 3rd
Term II Begins
  • School starts Monday January 4th at 8:30AM. All buildings and services on campus resume normal working hours on this day. This also means that grades will begin to appear on your grade reports.
Emergency Notifications via Text Message (UPDATED)
  • If you want to get notified by the school when there are emergencies (immanent threats), you can opt-in this the service at no cost (except standard text message rates). Check out this announcement which explains the process. This service does not notify of snow day closures.
Textbooks
  • If you are wondering which books you need for your courses, go to the Titles Course Listing website. The list has been updated since it was initially posted in early December. Start scouring the MacInsiders Marketplace, Facebook and Titles for deals! You can also do some price comparisons at other major book retailers (Amazon and Chapters), and order your books online!
  • Additionally, be sure to check out MSU Undercovers, some sweet deals can be found there as well. You can now search them online!
OSAP PickupDrop and Add
  • The last day to drop and add courses for Term II is Wednesday January 13th. The last day to drop Term II or III courses without academic penalty is Friday March 5th.
Bursary Deadlines
  • If you are applying for a bursaries from McMaster the deadline is January 15th. There is more info in this announcement.
Reading Week
  • This year reading week is from Monday February 15th until Friday February 19th.
April Exams
  • The tentative April exam timetable should be released in late February or early March
Summer School
  • The list of summer school courses is set to be released in mid-March.

Afzal, Equinox, feonateresa, jhan523, John H, Kevin S, manu, salimak, scott000, xhorizon, xo.monica all say thanks to lorend for this post.

manu likes this.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 01-01-2010 at 10:17 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
I think in March sometime students get to choose majors in SOLAR as well.

Old 01-01-2010 at 10:49 PM   #3
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
Are campus services and buildings not open during the holiday? Like, if I wanted to use the library tomorrow, would it be open?

Old 01-01-2010 at 11:02 PM   #4
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Are campus services and buildings not open during the holiday? Like, if I wanted to use the library tomorrow, would it be open?
You want to spend your Saturday at the library?
O_O

The term hasn't even started! What are you going to do?! lol

Old 01-01-2010 at 11:02 PM   #5
conster

Liked: 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
The university buildings are closed until Monday, so, no, you would not find the library open tomorrow or Sunday. http://library.mcmaster.ca

Old 01-02-2010 at 12:09 PM   #6
jade177

Liked: 8 Times
Just a slight correction I noticed in the dates for reading week: reading week is from Monday, February 15th, to Friday, February 19th, not from the 15th to the 20th.

lorend says thanks to jade177 for this post.

Old 01-02-2010 at 02:53 PM   #7
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times
Thanks for posting this Danielle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
You want to spend your Saturday at the library?
O_O

The term hasn't even started! What are you going to do?! lol

Hey hey, what's wrong with that? You could always get a head start on some of those readings (if the libraries were open that is).

:p

Last edited by Kevin S : 01-02-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Old 01-02-2010 at 06:33 PM   #8
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
Thanks for posting this Danielle!

Hey hey, what's wrong with that? You could always get a head start on some of those readings (if the libraries were open that is).

:p
Lmao. :p
I'm not feelin' it.
I'd rather stay home.

Kevin S, manu like this.

Old 01-03-2010 at 03:31 PM   #9
Lizliz

Liked: 15 Times
does the bookstore take visa?

Old 01-03-2010 at 03:39 PM   #10
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times
Yep! You can also use debit, or use your student card to put purchases on your student account

Old 01-05-2010 at 09:53 AM   #11
arbeaug

Liked: 7 Times
Hello, this is Gord Arbeau Associate Director of Public Relations here at McMaster.

Thanks for posting these handy reminders for start of term.

To clarify the text messaging notification system. Students should be encouraged to subscribe (you can do so by visiting MUGSI). Students can subscribe to the text message system that delivers emergency messages to cell phones and handheld devices. The messages will be sent only in case of an imminent, ongoing campus-wide threat or danger to the safety of the McMaster community.

The text messaging system will not be used to notify the community about snow closures. In the event of a storm or snow closure, the Daily News, McMaster switchboard and local media are the channels used to communicate information.

More info on the text messaging is here:
http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /story.cfm?id=6499

More info on storm closure policy is here:
http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /worth....cfm?i d=5445

Hope this is helpful.

Chad, jhan523, lorend all say thanks to arbeaug for this post.

Old 01-05-2010 at 05:34 PM   #12
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times
Hi Gord! Thanks for posting on MacInsiders and better explaining the service to us. I have changed the article to better reflect the changes about the snow day notifications. Sorry for the confusion!

Regards,
Chad

lorend says thanks to Chad for this post.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search