MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Sci student blocked out of Life Sci 2A03??? jubilantx Academics 4 06-14-2010 08:56 PM

Night life?

Old 08-09-2008 at 08:44 PM   #1
Ms.Williams

Liked: 0 Times

Night life?
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the night life in Hamilton is like?
(The clubs, lounges, and so forth). I've been looking for threads about this topic but have come up short. Thanks
Old 08-09-2008 at 08:52 PM   #2
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Hess Village is pretty nice, more so if you're of legal drinking age but it's still nice to walk around there and eat food and whatever. Club 77 always has events going on for students, with alot fo students from Western, Waterloo, UTM, Laurier, etc coming down for that. There's also always Quarters, in the basement of the student centre. Thursday nights are a popular day for there -- All Ages! (18+)

Last edited by samantha__ : 08-09-2008 at 08:59 PM.

Ms.Williams says thanks to samantha__ for this post.
Old 08-10-2008 at 09:54 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Hamilton also has a pretty big indie music scene. A bunch of bands will play at Quarters throughout the year, but there are also a bunch of venues downtown that have shows.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Ms.Williams says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 08-10-2008 at 11:28 AM   #4
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

This Saturday's issue of the Hamilton Spectator actually had a series of articles on Hess Village and how it's transforming from a "pub scene" to more of a trendy "club scene", and how it's basically died as a live music venue. You can read them online here:

http://www.thespec.com/News/Discover/article/415516
http://www.thespec.com/News/Discover/article/415571
http://www.thespec.com/News/Discover/article/415520
http://www.thespec.com/News/Discover/article/415518

Ms.Williams says thanks to Cippi for this post.
Old 08-10-2008 at 11:50 AM   #5
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Gown & Gavel recently had their re-opening. I liked it
I like Hess because it has so much to choose from. I'm not the type of person who goes often but on big nights Hess is packed. Also, if you're not 19 don't try using fake IDs because it won't work. I've had my real ID rejected because he thought it was fake so always make sure you have at least 2 pieces of real ID with you.

I prefer indie bands so Quarters is good because (with the exception of Thursday nights) it is generally rather low key.

Ms.Williams says thanks to ferreinm for this post.
Old 08-11-2008 at 05:03 PM   #6
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Maybe I should try to post this anonymously.... oh well...

Okay, so here's the scoop on Hamilton nightlife. I'll break it up into appropriate parts. I like to think I'm a pretty good authority on bars in the McMaster area... if you disagree... ..actually I don't see anyone disagreeing...

1) Underagers (Aka ~95% of the incoming first year class)

Hamilton night life sucks for you guys. There used to be all ages nights all the time at Hess Village, 77, Fever etc. All of these have since become close to extinct. With liability issues, underage liquor busts and what not, things have gone downhill.

HOWEVER! Quarter's, our campus pub/restaraunt/bar does allow in people over 18 years of age. In previous years this has been limited to the first 80 people who are under 19, but this year things should be expanded a bit. Thursday nights at Quarters are pretty much the most popular bar venue at McMaster and Hamilton area. Getting in to Quarters is a nightmare however. Tips include: get there early. Get on guest list (aka go stand in line between 6-7AM depending on the night) or make friends with someone who works for the MSU.

2) 19+
So, for the new to drinking (aka just turned 19 etc), there are many different types of drinking establishments. There are bars: you go to drink, dancing isn't the biggest thing, and the music is usually low enough that you can talk to people. There are pubs: english style where you go, sit around in booths or at tables, get some food, drink some beers. There are clubs: music, darkness, flashy lights, and everyone on the face of the planet either trying to pick up (..I'm being facetious). There are lounges, where you sit around and drink a lot, but no food. And there is BP which truly does not fit into any category..

a) Pubs.
My favourite part about Mac is that there are great pubs everywhere. In Westdale, there is my all time favourite place: Snooty Fox. Mondays have cheap half pints and beers, Tuesdays.. nothing.., Wednesdays: cheap domestic pitchers, and random stuff rest of the time (Sundays being Karaoke). Other good pubs: West End down on Emerson, Slainte's downtown, Celiah House in Hess, Ram's Head, across from the hospital on Main.

b) Bars
We don't have many truly dive bars around here. Which is an absolute shame. The best one is definitely Side Bar in Hess, with Dirty Dogs (Coyote Ugly style, found a bit past Hess), Smooth Herman's (Hess), Lazy Flamingo (Hess) and Charlie West (found at West Village condos) rounding out the top 5 (in no particular order). Charlie West is pretty unique because it's a tiny thing which is done up very nicely and has decent drink prices.

c) Clubs
I personally hate clubs, but do understand the allure. The music is loud and dance floors are active. Drinks are never cheap, and there's usually cover. Popular clubs are found in Hess, and I'm sure you've heard of them from time to time on the radio: Elixer, Funky Munky, 77, Diavolo, and Sizzle (which is for 21+ except on Wednesdays). Clubs are good for extravagant birthdays when you have a lot of money as you can get bottle service and a booth. Funky is the most casual, and funnest one for sure, but definitely finds its share of sketchbags. Huge bonus tip: girls, don't go upstairs by yourselves.

Sizzle definitely has the best dance floor, and is usually filled with well dressed people who are throwing money around. It is expensive in a relative sense (nothing on Toronto clubs though) but there is the potential to have a good time.

d) Lounges
Lounges are a big city thing, but Hess' recent changes have put two on the map (owned by the same dude). Koi is easily the classiest place in Hess, and definitely one of the nicer venues in student-area Hamilton. Like Sizzle (which it is connected to), Koi is 21+ and for the more upscale people with a no jeans, no hats, nice shoes policy. Across from Koi is Gown and Gavel, which used to be the best bar in Hess but has now been turned into a lounge and patio with leather couches and junk.

e) Boston Pizza
The restaurant which, for some reason, is very popular for drinks. Since it is a restaurant it does allow underage people, with no bottom restriction (aka if you are 17, this is just about the only place which will let you in at nights). To be honest, I've found myself here more and more as of late. Highlights include Tuesday patio nights with cheap schooners of domestic beer, and Fishbowl fridays. There is no dance floor, and the kitchen is open all night.

f) Combinations.
Quarters is the most popular student bar in Canada, bar none. The lines at Quarters are always long, and on popular nights (aka last nights before exams, holidays, Halloween etc.) it is not uncommon for the line to stretch from the eating area of MUSC all the way past Compass. As I've said earlier, getting in is a ***** if you don't know what you're doing. Thursday Quarters is legendary within the student community, and the homeowners...

There is a new place open called London Tap house. It's 3 stories and each level has a different environment. There is a rooftop patio, a restaurant, a lounge and a dance floor. This is also all just hearsay as I have not managed to pull my act together to get here yet. Which is odd, especially if you have an iota of knowledge about my hobbies. I've heard great things about the venue. I've heard decent things about the bar lines, and the atmosphere. Tips: don't walk in wearing shorts, tshirt and flip flops as you will seem out of place.

g) Other stuff.
For the GLBT community, there is Embassy Nightclub. It's behind Jackson Square.
There are tons of other small places in Hess, I just have not had a chance to test each one out. There is the Casbah which has great music from time to time, and other places around. There truly is no shortage of places to go (the problem is more: which place is going to be good on a particular night)
For late night eating, there is Montfort open on King Street next to Snooty Fox. It is generally open till 4am and a great place to grab a post-bar bite.
Pizza Pizza delivery is open till 2am on regular weekdays and 4am Thursday - Saturday. The best part of Pizza Pizza is that they take McMaster meal card.

h) Final tips
1) Plan nights to popular places a bit early (aka don't be like my friends and I and decide to go to Hess at 1am..)
2) If you are hungry, and over 19, and its close to midnight, head to Snooty Fox for half price appetizers. There is not a single person in the world who can refute that Snooty has the best appetizer deals in town (if you disagree, go get yourself some combo bread with cheese and calamari)
3) If you are dirt poor, Quarters is the safest bet.
4) If you go anywhere on a Karaoke night, do the rest of us a favour and pick a song that you sort of know the words, or the tune to.
5) Don't get caught drinking underage. The fine is huge, and if it's on campus you will get a nice amount of time wasting trouble.
6) If you're throwing a kegger, don't post it on Facebook in an open event...
7) Don't go into bars thinking you are of the hottest shit on the planet and act like a dick
8) If you spill my drink, replace it.

That is all, if Danielle or Chad or whoever else wants to make this an article, do so.

Edit: oh shit, I totally forgot Phoenix. The McMaster Graduate student bar, found in Wentworth house. Open every weekday, great to chill out and drink some beers and eat some good food. Does NOT take mealcard however.

Edit 2: Oh yeah, and Honest Lawyer which is found in Jackson Square. It's like Chuckie Cheese but with alcohol.

Last edited by deadpool : 08-11-2008 at 05:07 PM.

Alvand, Chris, Cristina_n13, KaesoPublius, Ms.Williams, pinkshuniza, shleyaa all say thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 08-11-2008 at 07:22 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I wrote two similar articles last year: one on clubs and one on pubs.

And I thought you were never writing an article again Rohan?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-11-2008 at 09:12 PM   #8
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Wow that was fab Rohan lol. I'm def going to save this somewhere..

Old 08-11-2008 at 11:47 PM   #9
Ms.Williams

O good there are alot of places to go ... thanks alot
Old 08-12-2008 at 12:15 AM   #10
Chris

I drove by perry's last week and its gone! does anyone know whats going on with this? did they just change the name or is it actually gone?
Old 08-12-2008 at 01:23 AM   #11
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I drove by perry's last week and its gone! does anyone know whats going on with this? did they just change the name or is it actually gone?
It's an overpriced gastropub now.
Old 08-12-2008 at 10:11 AM   #12
twindy

wow so u have to be 19 to get into clubs!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(
Old 08-12-2008 at 11:07 AM   #13
Cippi

19's the legal drinking age for the province, so typically yes. Legally there are ways for club owners to admit a certain (small) number of underage patrons, but it comes with so much hassle and responsibility that most don't bother since it's ultimately not worth it to them (and they have no problem filling the clubs with people who are 19 or over). Quarters, on campus, is one of the few that will admit some people who are under 19, but you have to get there really early since that list fills up fast.

Unless things have changed, that they'll do is make you wear bright orange wristbands and draw an X on the back of each hand with marker so that you can't buy alcohol inside. They'll also hold onto your ID until the end of the night, and you don't get it back unless you return with the wristbands and X's intact. Essentially, they have to do that to shield themselves from liability from the province's liquor licensing branch, so it's a tradeoff - you may look a little dorky, but at least you're getting in. They don't even have to allow that if they don't want to, so consider yourself lucky in a way :p
Old 08-12-2008 at 03:57 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

its the kookaberra now.

Old 08-12-2008 at 04:42 PM   #15
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Most engineers (ok, us 'dirty old men') will go to Westend, and occasionally the Hub. You dont need anywhere else

pub > club

means socialization/getting drunk with with friends/randoms, not grinding suggestively on sketchy randoms, IMO
XD