MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Sci student blocked out of Life Sci 2A03??? jubilantx Academics 4 06-14-2010 08:56 PM

Night life?

Old 08-12-2008 at 05:22 PM   #16
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

or being grinded on by sketchy ugly old men.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-13-2008 at 02:51 PM   #17
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
or being grinded on by sketchy ugly old men.
I tend to enjoy that
Old 08-14-2008 at 05:05 PM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I thought you would.

You've got the sketchy part...and the ugly part down...only a few more years til you have all three.

OoOOooh dis.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-16-2008 at 06:22 PM   #19
furrys

Liked: 0 Times

Ayai!
I can't believe no one mentioned absinthe. They throw two of the most fun nights in the city. Wednesdays they have motown, which is by far my favorite club night in any city. I've been there more times than I can remember and have never been disappointed. It's a really fun, unpretentious atmosphere. And if you want to escape the typical club crowd it's a great place to go. It's also really the only fun thing to do on a Wednesday night.

Saturdays is 'Disco/Punk' and it's one of the only venues in Hamilton to throw that kind of party (Che's kinda does a similar thing on Saturday). It's most comparable to parties thrown in Parkdale area in Toronto (i.e. a lot of electro, indie dance music, etc), except way, way less of a hipster crowd. It's not big in the summer, but during the school year it gets ridiculous.

Taphouse was mentioned as well I believe. It's great. Cover is kinda pricey for a Hamilton club ($10), but it's a really nice place. I don't usually like the typical club style nights, but both times I went I had a lot of fun. Dance floor isn't huge, but that only makes things more fun ahah. Last time I went people were dancing on anything and everything.

Che's (in Hess) is a lot of fun too. Tuesdays they have a night that's really laid back and fun. If you're really into music the DJ that does that night has a ridiculous taste/knowledge of music. Really eclectic with anything from doo-wop, to disco, to punk, to soul, etc etc.

Friday they have a night called 'No Standards,' which is more of a dance night. It's a lot of fun, they kinda try to throw a themed night every week, most of the time it's a lot of fun.

Saturday they have a party similar to absinthe. If you're into lesser known/indie club music it's a lot of fun. Unlike absinthe though, they actually book acts sometimes, they've had Jokers of the Scene, Dave Nada, and a bunch of other DJs that have played pretty big parties all over.

There's also a really nice bar, I can't remember where, I think on King or John, called Chester's Beers of the World. It looks super sketch from outside, but it's worth a visit. They have hundred of beers from.. well around the world. Good to go for a visit, try some weird/interesting beers.

That's all I can really think of at the moment that hasn't already been mentioned...

Last edited by furrys : 08-17-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-16-2008 at 11:11 PM   #20
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Oh yes - if you're a true beer fan, Chester's is awesome. If any of you are familiar with the Toronto beer scene, it's got a menu somewhat like Beerbistro's - that is, lots of beers that you normally can't get in Ontario that they import specially for the bar. There's literally a book of beers that you can choose from, along with descriptions. It does look a little run-down from the outside, and its decor is certainly dated inside, but you won't care one bit once you're drinking a sweet sweet glass of Delerium Tremens...mmmmm.