MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac alumnus Stephen Elop is now CEO of Nokia aaront MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-10-2010 09:13 AM
Afzal's Nokia N97 Unboxing Afzal Computers & Tech 22 01-25-2010 11:41 AM

Nokia N8

Old 02-10-2011 at 07:26 PM   #1
santiagoeb

Liked: 4 Times

Nokia N8
switching to rogers, its my best option so far, any feedback about the phone? ive heard its pretty solid, camera kicks a$$, and touch screen is great as well.
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:26 PM   #2
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagoeb View Post
switching to rogers, its my best option so far, any feedback about the phone? ive heard its pretty solid, camera kicks a$$, and touch screen is great as well.
Like everything made by Nokia, the hardware is great. It's the prefect size, it's has just the right amount of heft, and it feels like it could handle a few falls without shattering unlike some other phones (*looks at iPhones*). The camera is amazing as well. The main issue with the N8 is the software. It's based on the newest version of symbian which makes it feel like something from 2005 (Symbian is what basically every phone was based on back then, think of the Razr UI for an example of a Symbian based OS). On top of the fact that the OS feels ancient, there are very few apps for it and since Nokia has recently abandoned Symbian there wont be any future updates to it.

I'd personally invest in something else until Nokia figures out WTF it wants to do with smartphones. With the amount you're spending on an N8, you be better off with a Samsung Focus, BB Bold, Nexus S, Galaxy S, or even an iPhone 3GS.
Old 02-18-2011 at 07:43 AM   #3
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

I dont know the N8 looks pretty good i got a friend with one and its pretty nice

looks more professional then the i phone

just my thought
Old 02-18-2011 at 01:49 PM   #4
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Like everything made by Nokia, the hardware is great. It's the prefect size, it's has just the right amount of heft, and it feels like it could handle a few falls without shattering unlike some other phones (*looks at iPhones*). The camera is amazing as well. The main issue with the N8 is the software. It's based on the newest version of symbian which makes it feel like something from 2005 (Symbian is what basically every phone was based on back then, think of the Razr UI for an example of a Symbian based OS). On top of the fact that the OS feels ancient, there are very few apps for it and since Nokia has recently abandoned Symbian there wont be any future updates to it.

I'd personally invest in something else until Nokia figures out WTF it wants to do with smartphones. With the amount you're spending on an N8, you be better off with a Samsung Focus, BB Bold, Nexus S, Galaxy S, or even an iPhone 3GS.
Nokia actually just partner up with Microsoft and will be using Windows Mobile 7 for its smart phones.

So if you wait a bit, new WM7 handset by Nokia will be coming out.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/n...ndows-phone-b/
Old 02-18-2011 at 03:55 PM   #5
recyclebin12

Liked: 0 Times

If your still interested in the N8, I can offer you a blue one, not available at rogers, for a lower price than what there selling for. Its LNIB, opened not used. pm me if interested.
Old 02-18-2011 at 04:16 PM   #6
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by recyclebin12 View Post
If your still interested in the N8, I can offer you a blue one, not available at rogers, for a lower price than what there selling for. Its LNIB, opened not used. pm me if interested.
is it original?

and how much are u selling for? pm price if u want
Old 02-18-2011 at 04:45 PM   #7
santiagoeb

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by recyclebin12 View Post
Thanks recyclebin but i am getting mine with a contract as it's my only option to leave my crappy fido plan. i am pretty much decided to get the phone except for the fact that rogers doesn't seem to be interested in giving it's n8 clients the updates (critical considering the only flaw of the phone is the software). but again, theres always debranding and product code changing
Old 02-19-2011 at 01:18 AM   #8
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

I got an N8 last December and I find it to be fantastic. No beef with the quality of the OS or the speed of the phone. Nor do I feel that its ancient. I'm not an app guy - I want a good browser (people seem to not like the N8's but I love it personally), slick interface, and would rather not have anything RIM or Apple. Symbian^3 has so far handled everything I've thrown at it, 3G (3.5G) browsing on WIND Mobile is snappy fast. And unlike Apple, Flash is supported!

I should also mention that an unlocked N8 will work on BOTH Rogers/Fido/chatr GSM, as well as AWS for WIND/Mobilicity/Public. Very easy to swap around.

If you are a Nokia person and are familiar with their phones and interfaces over the years, it's a no-brainer. Otherwise it takes some getting used to, but is by no means a bad choice. One of the most shining points on this phone has to be the camera - it's ****ing awesome, here are some shots of my car that I took with it, and HD video:

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAYjZZHq2SA&h d=1

Last edited by temptingf8 : 02-19-2011 at 01:20 AM.