MacInsiders Logo

What NOT to Buy

Old 08-08-2009 at 12:49 PM   #16
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Ohh, so they're 2 different line-ups, I get it . Thanks!
Old 08-08-2009 at 01:15 PM   #17
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

You can blame the MUSC administration for the lack of hand sanitizer next year.

Campus health kept on getting in trouble for giving away free things at tables (such as hand sanitizer and condoms).

I didn't like the MSU almanac because it was stuffed with ads.

Last edited by Lij : 08-08-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2009 at 01:20 PM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
You can blame the MSU administration for the lack of hand sanitizer next year.

Campus health kept on getting in trouble for giving away free things at tables (such as hand sanitizer and condoms).

I didn't like the MSU almanac because it was stuffed with ads.
That would be MUSC admin, not MSU Admin. There is quite a big difference between the two.

I would know! I got a service in trouble last year from MUSC Admin! :S

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 08-08-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2009 at 01:21 PM   #19
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
You can blame the MSU administration for the lack of hand sanitizer next year.

I think that's the MUSC who does that (not the MSU). The Student Centre is run indepentantly from the MSU, although we do have members on the MUSC board of management. I can see about what went on there if you want me to.

If it's a big problem, free condoms are available at SHEC, and hand sanitizer is unnecessary. I remember the days when people lived without a bottle of sanitizer in their pocket/purse. Our society is getting more and more sad every day :(
Old 08-08-2009 at 01:25 PM   #20
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

About the almanac (agenda) and wall calender. They're certainly useful but I found them to be a little obnoxious b/c of all the ads. The wall calendar has all these ads all around it so it looks a little tacky. If you buy a McMaster wall calender from Titles they are really nice, no ads and the squares are a lot bigger so you can write more stuff in each one. I think I'll definitely be purchasing one for my room this year rather than using the free one. Same goes for the almanac, it's useful in a pinch or if you don't want to spend those extra dollars but it's filled with pages and pages of ugly advertisements. You can also purchase a nicer one at Titles I'm sure.

Everything else though definitely is great. You get tons and tons of free pens and hi-lighters and the like. I have pens from like all kinds of different clubs and services at Mac.
Old 08-08-2009 at 01:28 PM   #21
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
A The wall calendar has all these ads all around it so it looks a little tacky.
I know a few people who just cut the ads off. The MSU wall calendar does just fine.

I can't comment on the agenda though, I don't use a paper agenda...
Old 08-08-2009 at 01:28 PM   #22
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
About the almanac (agenda) and wall calender. They're certainly useful but I found them to be a little obnoxious b/c of all the ads. The wall calendar has all these ads all around it so it looks a little tacky. If you buy a McMaster wall calender from Titles they are really nice, no ads and the squares are a lot bigger so you can write more stuff in each one. I think I'll definitely be purchasing one for my room this year rather than using the free one. Same goes for the almanac, it's useful in a pinch or if you don't want to spend those extra dollars but it's filled with pages and pages of ugly advertisements. You can also purchase a nicer one at Titles I'm sure.

Everything else though definitely is great. You get tons and tons of free pens and hi-lighters and the like. I have pens from like all kinds of different clubs and services at Mac.
I just trimmed my wall calender down so it was add-free. Still worked the same. As for the almanac/agenda I took out any pages with ads that didn't have a calender on the reverse side.

They're free for students because of the advertising. If that ads weren't there we wouldn't have the option to get them for free. The point being the MSU is offering students a cost-free alternative to spending quite a bit (for what they're worth) at Titles/elsewhere.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Taunton, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 08-08-2009 at 01:29 PM   #23
Taunton
Elite Member

Haha commented at the same time!
Old 08-08-2009 at 01:36 PM   #24
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I just trimmed my wall calender down so it was add-free. Still worked the same. As for the almanac/agenda I took out any pages with ads that didn't have a calender on the reverse side.

They're free for students because of the advertising. If that ads weren't there we wouldn't have the option to get them for free. The point being the MSU is offering students a cost-free alternative to spending quite a bit (for what they're worth) at Titles/elsewhere.
I'm aware of what advertising is for and why free stuff is offered to students.

I was just commenting on those particular items and letting people know. Some people may want to purchase alternatives for whatever reason. ie as I mentioned the calendars you get at Titles and elsewhere have bigger squares. My main problem with the free calender is a small squares, I like a little more room to write and organize my assignments and stuff on the wall.

daisy says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 08-08-2009 at 01:57 PM   #25
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Oh I don't think I got a clipboard from SOCS last year, but I did get an awesome one from SocSci in my MacPass Kit. Alternatively even if you DON'T have a MacPass you can always drop by your faculty offices during office hours over the year and pick up swag. Like SocSci for example gave out Tshirts, Clipboards, Back Sack thingie at their General meeting!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

daisy says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 08-08-2009 at 02:00 PM   #26
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Thanks for the correction Ben & Danielle :p. If you could ask them why free material isn't allowed it would be great. I can understand pamphleting because it creates a huge mess and because it can be obstructive, but if people are looking for free stuff, I don't see in issue. There was a group giving away free energy efficient light bulbs. I ended up taking 20 of them because they couldn't give them out and didn't have a place to put them.

I remember we kept on getting in trouble even though we weren't harassing students. LOL, I had to give out condom roses outside the student centre (which imo is more disruptive than a table).

Yeah, you can always pick up free condoms and lube in MUSC B106. We have giant boxes of them.

Ben, I mostly used the hand sanitizer when I was on my trip to India because there wasn't soap and water readily available. Washing your hands properly = key.

Last edited by Lij : 08-08-2009 at 02:02 PM.

daisy says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 08-08-2009 at 02:26 PM   #27
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I know a few people who just cut the ads off. The MSU wall calendar does just fine.
*sigh*... too bad the Firefox adBlock extension doesn't extend into RL.

Old 08-08-2009 at 02:35 PM   #28
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

SOCS kids get the laundry bags too.. you should switch it to say "Mac Pass only"
Old 08-08-2009 at 02:43 PM   #29
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
SOCS kids get the laundry bags too.. you should switch it to say "Mac Pass only"
Yeah, it comes with the MacPass... All your swag comes in it ^-^
Old 08-08-2009 at 04:54 PM   #30
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
Compass (Everyone)- UTS? I think but don't quote me on that.
Are we talking math compass or "find your way" compass?