MacInsiders Logo

What NOT to Buy

Old 08-10-2009 at 08:36 PM   #76
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Wow, sounds like someone just threw them away (like a custodian or something)... I don't see the value of messy incomplete notes.

But, it makes me think about stories I've heard from schools like MIT where competition is HUGE to stay in the program and graduate. Stories like, books placed on reserve, where students race to the library and tear the best pages out so other students can't see them :S.
It was in a binder :(.

Bio 3uu3 didn't have notes, at all. So I guess some people were desperate?
Old 08-11-2009 at 10:54 AM   #77
Starkad

Liked: 21 Times

Thank you everyone :D
Thank you for all the replies! XD
I guess I'll see what suits me best come first week, but I do have a feeling (gah, catchy song) that I'll be using my laptop a lot. My hands cramp up on me because of the strange way I write, when they're not trying to doodle without my consent.
As for electronic distractions... I only check facebook and my emails at most once in two days. I don't see this being an issue for my likes.
We'll see-- it may turn out that I prefer handwriting!
Old 08-11-2009 at 10:56 AM   #78
Starkad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
It was in a binder :(.

Bio 3uu3 didn't have notes, at all. So I guess some people were desperate?
Stealing notes from jesus? Someone isn't going to heaven.

Keenu, reeves like this.
Old 08-11-2009 at 12:00 PM   #79
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkad View Post
Thank you for all the replies! XD
I guess I'll see what suits me best come first week, but I do have a feeling (gah, catchy song) that I'll be using my laptop a lot. My hands cramp up on me because of the strange way I write, when they're not trying to doodle without my consent.
As for electronic distractions... I only check facebook and my emails at most once in two days. I don't see this being an issue for my likes.
We'll see-- it may turn out that I prefer handwriting!

In first year a lot of my classes had powerpoint files to print off to accompany notes you take in class, and at the time it seemed to work to just write my notes alongside the relevant slide. Profs were nice and gave us time. But I am cheap and this took up a lot of paper (even though I would print out 6 powerpoint slides on each side of the page, and print on both sides of the page so I had 12 slides a page), so in second year I ended up typing up all of my notes. In second year it seemed like my profs didn't really care if we had time to write things down and just barrelled along as fast as they could, so I definitely needed to type up my notes. I am also unbelievably disorganized and would lose my notes (somehow). In first year, a drunken friend peed on a pile of them. So I reallllly liked having my laptop since then I could keep it all in one place and back it up if needed.

I actually enjoyed the distractions that my laptop gave me (my laptop can't access the wireless internet at Mac because itj ust doesn't work for me) because they kept me awake. Trying to take notes, pay attention, and play Hearts at the same time just kept me alert and awake. When I had no laptop and only papers to write on, I would ALWAYS fall asleep .. always .. I credit my vastly improved marks on bringing my laptop to class. But yeah again it really depends on the person =P.

Starkad says thanks to ladyh for this post.
Old 08-11-2009 at 12:06 PM   #80
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

I wouldn't really say all this stuff is free. Nothing is free in university. The MacPass baisically pays for all this stuff... and all those other hidden fee's in our tuition.
Old 08-11-2009 at 02:42 PM   #81
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
I wouldn't really say all this stuff is free. Nothing is free in university. The MacPass baisically pays for all this stuff... and all those other hidden fee's in our tuition.
True, but it's nice to get "rewarded" (one way or another) for the huge amounts we spend on university
Old 08-11-2009 at 03:15 PM   #82
Starkad

LOL ladyh! I'm so hiding my notes every time there's drinking going on, now!
You've hit upon my weakness-- sleeping in class. Anyone who's been in a class with me in high school knows about this unfortunate habit.
You can play your Hearts, but minesweeper is all mines.

*Anyone who's been in a class with me probably knows about my bad taste in puns, too.