STOLEN Bike JBeans General Discussion 7 01-18-2010 09:16 PM
Don't ride your bike in NYC DannyV General Discussion 3 08-05-2008 11:41 AM

Not enough bike racks!!

Old 09-14-2009 at 11:51 AM   #1
creen

Liked: 29 Times

Not enough bike racks!!
Rant begins:

If you ride your bike you may have noticed that there are far to few bike racks. For a university that is pushing the no plastic bags, and no plastic bottles you could really not discourage people more from riding their environmentally freindly bikes then not having anyplace to lock them up to.

What gives? Sure we all ride crappy bikes to campus but come on lets get some more bike racks.

Just tell me who to complain to at the university and I will

:End Rant

Last edited by creen : 09-14-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2009 at 01:24 PM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

[ suggestion ] Express your concerns to the MSU and The office of sustainability/ the ACT office

[ /suggestion ]
Old 09-14-2009 at 02:43 PM   #3
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Yeah Totally! I have to squish my Bike Into a Stand infront of Mills...people even had to tie them up to random signposts. Squishing bikes actually damages them when other people take their bikes out!

Even though they have this year put additional bike racks near the centre of campus(near willy Dog/University Hall) that still isn't enough! We should probably have a parking lot area sectioned off for bikes!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-14-2009 at 03:34 PM   #4
Serps

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
We should probably have a parking lot area sectioned off for bikes!
That is what they do in France, but I don't think Mac has the space.
Old 09-14-2009 at 04:22 PM   #5
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

it's not that there aren't enough bike racks, it's that there aren't enough in the high traffic areas (MUSC/MILLS).

I vote bikes start being locked up in MAC4U's personal parking spot until PG gets the hint.

ghjkghkghkgh likes this.
Old 09-14-2009 at 04:32 PM   #6
creen

I sent an email to the Sustainability department see what happens. Those that are interested can read this page it has the outline for the bike rack plan

http://www.mcmaster.ca/sustainabilit... ansportation

Im giving them an F
Old 09-14-2009 at 05:00 PM   #7
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

In Amsterdam, they have entire multilevel bike parking lots. They're quite impressive. Plus, space isn't (or is less of) an issue because you just build up!

Like so:

Mac can TOTALLY build a bunch of these, right? :P

jachill likes this.
Old 09-14-2009 at 05:19 PM   #8
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

^ That's pretty sweet.

Try parking your bike in a low-traffic area and walking to most of your classes. I get tired of people on bikes nearly running me over between classes when I'm on the sidewalk.
Old 09-14-2009 at 05:26 PM   #9
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by creen View Post
I sent an email to the Sustainability department see what happens. Those that are interested can read this page it has the outline for the bike rack plan

http://www.mcmaster.ca/sustainabilit... ansportation

Im giving them an F
Yeah, I'd say they failed pretty spectacularly at basically everything on that page.

Bike racks still suck, Commons still uses Styrofoam containers for people in residence to take food back to...... their residence..... etc.

This idea of having a car sharing service at 3-5 cars... sounds like they're going to be going with ZipCar. Great plan, except for the following: 30,000 people will want to use more than that number. ZipCar can also not be used by anyone under 21... so most people under third/fourth year wouldn't be able to use it. The remaining 15,000 people will STILL want to use more than 3-5 cars.

The Secure Bike Storage thing seems silly - bikes wouldn't get trashed if there were enough places to lock them up! I can only see the secure bike storage things being useful for people with really expensive bikes (high end mountain/road bikes) - put that in a room somewhere and charge them more for it. Your bike is also less likely to get trashed if you don't leave it on campus at night... just saying...

And.... instead of fixing all these, how about buying about, say, 10 more servers for SOLAR and ELM? Great idea.

I want to punch Mac in the face.

/rant

mtam likes this.
Old 09-14-2009 at 05:27 PM   #10
creen

throw and elbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
^ That's pretty sweet.

Try parking your bike in a low-traffic area and walking to most of your classes. I get tired of people on bikes nearly running me over between classes when I'm on the sidewalk.

If someones on the sidewalk they shouldnt be! Throw an elbow! Kidding.. Seriously bikes go on the road especially on campus there is very little traffic

Lois, Taunton, tungo89 like this.
Old 09-14-2009 at 05:28 PM   #11
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
^ That's pretty sweet.

I get tired of people on bikes nearly running me over between classes when I'm on the sidewalk.
And this is why you carry a crow bar around and stick it in their wheel spokes if they're on the sidewalk

Win.

Taunton likes this.
Old 09-14-2009 at 06:46 PM   #12
MDCL

There's plenty of bike racks..your just used to parking your bike 10' from your lecture...drivers have to look for parking spaces, why shouldn't you have to?
Old 09-14-2009 at 07:22 PM   #13
creen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCL View Post
There's plenty of bike racks..your just used to parking your bike 10' from your lecture...drivers have to look for parking spaces, why shouldn't you have to?
Because I'm not pulluting hows that for a reason? My bike takes up about 1 foot of room width wise, you can put about 25 bikes in the spot a car would take up, hows that for another, and If everyone that biked decided to drive and park you would be effed.... This really isnt car vs. bike I have a car but I choose to ride my bike.

Hey if there are enough racks lets move them to were they would be more useful then
Old 09-14-2009 at 08:14 PM   #14
MDCL

Quote:
Because I'm not pulluting hows that for a reason? My bike takes up about 1 foot of room width wise, you can put about 25 bikes in the spot a car would take up, hows that for another... This really isnt car vs. bike I have a car but I choose to ride my bike.
Sounds like a car v. bike rant to me...my car stays parked at home as well. Don't give me that 'I'm not polluting' crap...your prolly one of those sanctomonious greenies who rave about how little they pollute while the companies in their RRSPs are using child labour to operate factories that are destroying the ecosystem.

You can't be selective in how you measure your footprint; it all counts baby!
Old 09-14-2009 at 08:32 PM   #15
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
If someones on the sidewalk they shouldnt be! Throw an elbow! Kidding.. Seriously bikes go on the road especially on campus there is very little traffic

At least four of my friends as well as myself have been hit by cars on campus while biking. There is only a short part of road where there is a sectioned off bike lane. I refuse to ride on the road elsewhere.

Every bike is supposed to have a bell, and i always ding mine when im coming, even if i have enough room. Usually it works, but at least 3 groups of people today didnt even care!! :O