Don't ride your bike in NYC DannyV General Discussion 3 08-05-2008 11:41 AM

Not enough bike racks!!

Old 09-14-2009 at 08:36 PM   #16
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
At least four of my friends as well as myself have been hit by cars on campus while biking. There is only a short part of road where there is a sectioned off bike lane. I refuse to ride on the road elsewhere.
Then you should be ticketed. Plain and simple.

It's illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk, and I don't move for cyclist on the sidewalk... it's my right of way.
Old 09-14-2009 at 08:48 PM   #17
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

People have died because of an adult size bike on the sidewalk. People are usually courteous to bikers in Hamilton.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/678179
Old 09-14-2009 at 08:50 PM   #18
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Then you should be ticketed. Plain and simple.

It's illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk, and I don't move for cyclist on the sidewalk... it's my right of way.
The cars that are allegedly hitting them should also be ticketed.
Old 09-14-2009 at 08:58 PM   #19
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I completely agree, not enough bike racks.

It drives me INSANE when people get "tickets" for chaining their bikes to lamp posts. Does the person giving the ticket not see that the bike racks 5 feet away are COMPLETELY full?? What else are people supposed to do? Leave their bike on the sidewalk unattended?

And no, there aren't always enough bike racks. There are a lot of days in the fall when all the bike racks on campus are overflowing with bikes.
Old 09-14-2009 at 08:59 PM   #20
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
The cars that are allegedly hitting them should also be ticketed.
Sure, and they should have dealt with that when it happened. It's an easy lawsuit either way, especially if the cyclists are following the rules of the road.

The point is that it's illegal to cycle on the sidewalk, and pedestrians shouldn't move for them. If a cyclist wants to use the sidewalk, then they can dismount and walk.
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:16 PM   #21
Lois
Elite Member

I can understand how it may be "scary" to ride on the road, but if you exercise common sense and caution you should be fine. I don't ride my bike at home or in Toronto due to the drivers, but Hamilton drivers are much better.

http://bicyclesafe.com/

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub...de/index.shtml

Taunton says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:20 PM   #22
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Sure, and they should have dealt with that when it happened. It's an easy lawsuit either way, especially if the cyclists are following the rules of the road.
1. All the cases I have heard of, including mine, were hit and runs

2. Campus security sucks. All their cameras pan and rarely catch any incidents. Even the one at the front of campus which should really ONLY be pointed at that entrance way to campus where I was hit.
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:23 PM   #23
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
1. All the cases I have heard of, including mine, were hit and runs

2. Campus security sucks. All their cameras pan and rarely catch any incidents. Even the one at the front of campus which should really ONLY be pointed at that entrance way to campus where I was hit.
I'm sorry to hear it (I really am), but in a situation like that all I can say is try to look at the plate number and remember it long enough to write it down. The police will investigate if you give them that and contact info for witnesses. People who hit and run are bastards and cowards.

And I agree, campus security does blow... they worry too much about first years smoking pot, and not enough about real problems on campus.
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:25 PM   #24
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
try to look at the plate number and remember it long enough to write it down.
Good advice, but only if your face isn't in the pavement when they drive away :(
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:33 PM   #25
creen

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I completely agree, not enough bike racks.

It drives me INSANE when people get "tickets" for chaining their bikes to lamp posts. Does the person giving the ticket not see that the bike racks 5 feet away are COMPLETELY full??

You can get a ticket for that? How much?
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:34 PM   #26
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creen View Post

I just got a warning. :p
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:39 PM   #27
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by creen View Post
I got one once that was a "warning", and it said next time I will get a ticket.
But how could there be a "next time"? There's no way to distinguish my bike from the hundreds others that look just like it.

The "tickets" are a waste of paper.
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:41 PM   #28
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I got one once that was a "warning", and it said next time I will get a ticket.
But how could there be a "next time"? There's no way to distinguish my bike from the hundreds others that look just like it.

The "tickets" are a waste of paper.
I'm not certain of this, but they could photograph the bike and check it against digital records... I somehow doubt they are technologically advanced enough to actually do that though.
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:59 PM   #29
creen

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
I somehow doubt they are technologically advanced enough to actually do that though.
Im hoping they are spending their time getting elm working!

Seriously though tickets, I guess you could take your bike into lecture, just dont ride it in the halls
Old 09-15-2009 at 12:40 PM   #30
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

I spotted a couple of people today walking around infront of campus near BSB taking pictures of Bike Racks. I had a talk with one of them and they were from the sustainability office; She explained that a new bike rack costs around $500 and they have ordered a few more for the area behind Mills and Infront of BSB. They also said they have taken a survey in the past asking people which Bike Racks they use the most or something in that regards. Apparently there wasn't enough feedback so they haven't altered a lot of things(eg: moving away bike racks from areas on campus they are hardly being used) because they were afraid that people might protest that if they were wrong.

She also said that they did put a couple of Bike Racks in the Parking lots but there was "controversy"(:S) and they had to be taken off. Also ACT office has been phased into the Sustainability office so if anyone has any recommendations and suggestions they should email them to Sustainability!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

creen, Taunton like this.