MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: iOS Developer gillybean Volunteering Opportunities 3 03-10-2011 09:50 PM
Almost all the courses I wanted are full. Keile First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 07-01-2010 11:10 AM
Housemate Wanted! sarah1111 General Discussion 2 02-18-2009 06:23 PM
Roommate wanted SarahP General Discussion 5 02-07-2009 10:47 PM

Not Getting the Courses You Wanted?

Old 06-26-2013 at 07:06 PM   #1
lisar96

Liked: 4 Times

Not Getting the Courses You Wanted?
I believe SOLAR/the course selection process is getting revamped for 2014?

Anyways, as silly as this may seems, has anyone ever not gotten courses they really wanted, and believe it ruined their experience at McMaster or somewhat made them reconsider their decision to attend McMaster?
Old 06-26-2013 at 09:42 PM   #2
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Personally it hasn't made me believe it "ruined my experience" at McMaster, but it is frustrating as hell. Many people don't end up with the courses they want. Some have second choices they are happy with. But I'm sure a lot of people have gotten stuck with crappy courses they didn't want anything to do with as well. If I were to guess, I'd say that it has "ruined" the experience - at least partially - of many students.

lisar96 says thanks to Quiver for this post.
Old 06-26-2013 at 09:46 PM   #3
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

I wouldn't call my experience 'ruined' but the lack of seats in SOC SCI 2HR3 for this year means I'm going to have three night classes both terms.

lisar96 says thanks to ashleighp for this post.
Old 06-26-2013 at 10:21 PM   #4
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

It's annoying when that happens but it can happen at any school. Definitely hasn't ruined my experience.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.

lisar96 says thanks to sarahsullz for this post.
Old 06-26-2013 at 10:29 PM   #5
hamsterific

Liked: 9 Times

It just sucks that we pay good money to go to school and yet we're made to scramble to get into the courses we want. It hasn't ruined my experience because I was able to easily get most of what I needed, but it's still frustrating.

lisar96 says thanks to hamsterific for this post.
Old 06-28-2013 at 11:08 AM   #6
lisar96

Thanks for the replies.
As an extension to the questions, do you think the changes they're going to make to SOLAR will ease the frustration when it comes to making schedules?
Old 06-28-2013 at 11:18 AM   #7
theboywho2

you can't always get what you want

lisar96 says thanks to theboywho2 for this post.
Old 06-28-2013 at 11:56 AM   #8
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboywho2 View Post
you can't always get what you want
Even though we pay the school a large sum of money.... My parents are still boggled by the logic of how SOLAR works >_<

**Computer Engineering**

lisar96 says thanks to lgdynasty for this post.
Old 06-28-2013 at 12:02 PM   #9
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdynasty View Post
Even though we pay the school a large sum of money.... My parents are still boggled by the logic of how SOLAR works >_<
Totally agreed Thanh, totally agreed. I'll forever be wondering why I had to pay hundreds of dollars and countless frustrating hours+affect my GPA for a course I never wanted to take in the first place just because I wasn't lucky enough to get onto the course selection system faster than the other guy.

Lesson in life maybe? That just seems like a horrible cop-out response imho.

lisar96 says thanks to PockyWarrior for this post.
Old 06-28-2013 at 12:03 PM   #10
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I remember when I was in first year, I read about an upper year saying that he never had to give up on a course he loved because of a lack of seats. It's really about persistence. If you keep trying, you will likely get a seat in the course. Remember that some people are just holding seats in courses they don't really like that you might love because they themselves are waiting to get into courses they would enjoy more. When they drop those courses, that's an opportunity for you to get a seat.

Other people are holding seats for their friends and again, if you try, luck may have it that you get that seat when they're dropping it before their friend does.

It's just about probability and a lot of random chance.

Except for Kin 1Y03/1YY3, which I decided I wanted to take a bit too late, I have never "not gotten" into a course I really wanted. I spent all of the December break checking for one course (Bio 3UU3 and it was amazing how many other fantastic courses had opened up during that time). I eventually did get into that one as well.

As for some other courses, I've emailed the department for 2 years in a row sometimes and gotten a seat in my second try, a year later. It all depends on how hard you're willing to work for your courses.

Another good way to ensure that you get the courses you want is to check out all the possible courses you can sign up for that you enjoy. That way, even if you don't get your "top choice", you're still registering and taking a course you really like, which will make spending the money worthwhile instead of being seen as an investment into something you don't particularly care about.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

lisar96 says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 06-28-2013 at 03:35 PM   #11
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

yeah its actually pretty rare i think to not be able to get into the course you want eventually...if you actually try. Just because you don't get it initially doesnt mean its not available. First year i didnt get into either of the electives i wanted right off the bat...but i got in before the end of the drop/add period and i know alot of people who did this. SOLAR is a pain but in the end it all works out for the best. Definitely didnt ruin my university experience...i dont know anyone who would LET IT ruin their experience at Mac. If you don't get it this year you can get it next year.

lisar96 says thanks to LauraV for this post.