MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP and Flex OSAP Plan HELP! knguyens2 Financial Aid 4 08-23-2010 09:40 AM
OSAP & Job feonateresa Financial Aid 9 08-17-2010 09:23 PM
OSAP help cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-05-2010 05:56 PM
Solar is not letting me add a course...... shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-30-2008 12:59 PM

Not letting me get OSAP

Old 01-03-2011 at 02:50 PM   #1
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Not letting me get OSAP
Hey everyone, I'm currently having a bit (okay, a huge) problem with OSAP. I was able to successfully get my OSAP in September using my Health Card and SIn card as ID. At the time when I got my sincard, I didn't have my English name yet, but otherwise the names and everything are the same on the ID, except my health card includes my Chinese name as well as my English first name. However this time, they won't let me get my OSAP, and they're requesting that I change my name to drop my English first name on my Health card. I was wondering when the last day to pick up OSAP is, and how I would go about changing my fricking name, even though it's just my my English name followed by my Chinese name. Are they even allowed to do this? My tuition is due soon, and I'm pretty sure it takes longer to change the name on the card...talk about screwed?!
Old 01-04-2011 at 02:00 PM   #2
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

It does take time to change name on SIN card if you do it the wrong way (mail).

If you do it the right way, getting your ass to a Service Canada Centre, it would only take you 10 business days...

How did I figure that out ? Google SIN card. First link if the service canada website and you read the first page that comes out...

No Offence, but why would you change your Chinese name ? I may not be able to pronounce it but you should take pride in your heritage, unless you want to give up on that...
Old 01-04-2011 at 05:26 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Hey everyone, I'm currently having a bit (okay, a huge) problem with OSAP. I was able to successfully get my OSAP in September using my Health Card and SIn card as ID. At the time when I got my sincard, I didn't have my English name yet, but otherwise the names and everything are the same on the ID, except my health card includes my Chinese name as well as my English first name. However this time, they won't let me get my OSAP, and they're requesting that I change my name to drop my English first name on my Health card. I was wondering when the last day to pick up OSAP is, and how I would go about changing my fricking name, even though it's just my my English name followed by my Chinese name. Are they even allowed to do this? My tuition is due soon, and I'm pretty sure it takes longer to change the name on the card...talk about screwed?!
Date Hours
Monday, January 3 10:00am - 5:00pm*
Tuesday, January 4 - Thursday, January 6 9:00am - 5:00pm*
Friday, January 7 9:00am - 4:00pm
Monday, January 10 - Thursday, January 13 9:00am - 5:00pm*
Friday, January 14 9:00am - 4:00pm

If you have any questions about picking up after this time:
Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships
McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West
Gilmour Hall, Room 120
Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4L8
(905) 525-9140 ext. 24319
Phone Hours: Monday through Friday
9:30am-12:00pm & 1:30pm-4:00pm
Old 01-09-2011 at 09:53 PM   #4
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
It does take time to change name on SIN card if you do it the wrong way (mail).

If you do it the right way, getting your ass to a Service Canada Centre, it would only take you 10 business days...

How did I figure that out ? Google SIN card. First link if the service canada website and you read the first page that comes out...

No Offence, but why would you change your Chinese name ? I may not be able to pronounce it but you should take pride in your heritage, unless you want to give up on that...
Nonono, I didn't change my Chinese name. It's just that I got an English name, so my Chinese name sort of became my middle name. However, OSap IDs need the names to match 100%, and the fact that one of my IDs had my English name didn't cut it. :(.