MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
HELP: Nursing registration/admission! viktoreeatee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-22-2010 09:38 PM

Nursing Registration (June 29)

Old 06-28-2009 at 01:16 PM   #1
smashpro1123

Liked: 5 Times

Nursing Registration (June 29)
ok, i have 2 questions

1) When it says, "When enrolling in this course, students must select (Core) (Lab) (Tutorial) component(s)."

does that mean I pick the core,lab,tutorial stuff too cus i thought only the term and whether i want day/eve for registration in programs (june 29 nursing) .

2) How come, there is no math for nursing or its always been like that?

thanks so much in advance for replies
Old 06-28-2009 at 02:38 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashpro1123 View Post
1) When it says, "When enrolling in this course, students must select (Core) (Lab) (Tutorial) component(s)."
Every department is different. Some have you pick sections while others do not. I think it's mostly if the classes are big or not.
Old 07-10-2009 at 09:40 PM   #3
maria denise

Liked: 1 Time

We take Stats in Level II. I find the Nursing program itself is very different (in a very good way) compared to other programs like LifeSci, Eng, etc, where it’s mandatory for them to choose math courses. For Nursing (level I), it focuses more on the well-being of the individual. I think Davey touched on this in another forum --- he thoughtfully outlined what our PBL class is like and what it’s like to work in a group to come up with solutions for your client.
So, to answer your question on the math area for Nursing, (sorry I know, I kinda got carried away with explaining) , I think it’s because we’re based more on the health studies area, and so whatever math we need for our program.. they make us take it (like Nurs 2R03). Feel free to take any other maths if it makes you happy though! J

smashpro1123 says thanks to maria denise for this post.
Old 07-10-2009 at 09:54 PM   #4
smashpro1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria denise View Post
We take Stats in Level II. I find the Nursing program itself is very different (in a very good way) compared to other programs like LifeSci, Eng, etc, where it’s mandatory for them to choose math courses. For Nursing (level I), it focuses more on the well-being of the individual. I think Davey touched on this in another forum --- he thoughtfully outlined what our PBL class is like and what it’s like to work in a group to come up with solutions for your client.
So, to answer your question on the math area for Nursing, (sorry I know, I kinda got carried away with explaining) , I think it’s because we’re based more on the health studies area, and so whatever math we need for our program.. they make us take it (like Nurs 2R03). Feel free to take any other maths if it makes you happy though! J

thanks so much for responding, i asked this quite a while ago but it's still gud to get a response from a nursing student.
hmm i see. come to think of it all the math in grade 12 were pointless then. i'm not saying i want to take another math though :p
what was ur elective in 1st year, and which ones of the required courses were hard/easy?
Old 07-10-2009 at 10:06 PM   #5
maria denise

Liked: 1 Time

I think they changed it from taking all the math courses to just taking Data Management as an alternative (if I'm not mistaken). In any case, in another forum, I highly recommended Socio 1A06 for an elective because all the notes were really straight forward. She speaks slow, and clearly, and whatever she says is fair game. With electives, it really depends on what your interests are. If you're into philosophy and theory and religion, try religious studies. From word of mouth, everyone seems to like anthro. As for Labour Studies, I've received mixed reviews. They said it was very applicable to nursing, but there was a lot of reading, which discouraged them a bit. Nevertheless, go for your interests, because I think you can only decide which ones are easy and interesting for you. : )
Old 07-10-2009 at 10:09 PM   #6
smashpro1123

so only second year has math which is the statistics one?
oh my elective was anthro. hopefully it will be easy and interesting.
Old 07-10-2009 at 11:09 PM   #7
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashpro1123 View Post
so only second year has math which is the statistics one?
oh my elective was anthro. hopefully it will be easy and interesting.
yup. no calculus for us nurses! yay!

and i've only heard good things about anthro!
Old 07-12-2009 at 10:57 PM   #8
ernie

Liked: 0 Times

i no dis may not b the best place 2 ask buh i choose Chem 1AO3 as elective is it difficult??? :(
Old 07-12-2009 at 10:58 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
i no dis may not b the best place 2 ask buh i choose Chem 1AO3 as elective is it difficult??? :(
I didn't find it difficult. I already did most of the labs in highschool. And I found a lot of the material to be review or just building on what I already knew from highschool.

But check here for more information on the course: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1861 9
Old 07-12-2009 at 11:17 PM   #10
ernie

Liked: 0 Times

thx....am havin 2ND tots NOW i might DROP IT m getting scared :(
Old 07-13-2009
sportjerseys
This message has been removed by a moderator. .