MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Wins The Vanier Cup - First In McMaster History Chad MacInsiders Announcements 10 11-26-2011 02:34 AM
@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca vs @mcmaster.ca KMoney First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2010 06:04 PM

Occupy McMaster

Members have rated post #302767 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 01-19-2012 at 09:00 PM   #1
hungdaddy

Liked: 22 Times

Occupy McMaster
Just wondering, Whats the point? is this a protest of silence in the student centre??
Old 01-19-2012 at 09:35 PM   #2
nomchock

Liked: 31 Times

its typical of what one comes to expect of privileged neckbeards

instead of doing something, they cluster**** in a corner and look like god damn degenerates

what do students at mcmaster really have to be boycotting? that our education is too expensive? too easy to get into? not easy enough? that everything isn't free?

alyssarr, hungdaddy, _Luu_ like this.
Old 01-19-2012 at 09:37 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

#Occupy a corner of teh student centre with the implied intention of protesting corporate greed
#feed into the machine anyways

hungdaddy, J. Dorey, _Luu_ like this.
Old 01-19-2012 at 09:38 PM   #4
wesiscool

Liked: 13 Times

*picture of highschool freshman
Old 01-21-2012 at 09:53 PM   #5
robots

Liked: 40 Times

Instead of bickering in a online forum why don't you actually go up to them and ask? And they are not harming you in any way so why are you so hostile towards them? Occupy McMaster (from my understanding) is hoping to combat student apathy as it is clear there is a culture of apathy on McMaster's campus. The fact that only 15% of students vote in SRA and presidential elections is proof of this. Students need to get more involved in inspiring change, equality and social justice. There used to be a huge student movement at MAC in the 90's, but it has been replaced with a worrying amount of apathy and indifference and mockery of anything that tries to inspire change.

aam18, Cliu91, Lois, Marooner, sf2fs like this.
Old 01-21-2012 at 10:12 PM   #6
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

I tend to ignore them. But they took over the spot that I like to eat Pizza in between classes, which makes me sad.

ikantsepll likes this.
Old 01-21-2012 at 10:21 PM   #7
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

Hey! Respect the neckbeard!

Best thing I ever did. Keeps me so warm these cold nights.

I don't know what they're protesting. If it were me, it would be that tuition is too low and the government needs to stop bailing us out.

Old 01-21-2012 at 11:20 PM   #8
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I think we should protest their protest
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

ikantsepll, lizziepizzie like this.
Old 01-21-2012 at 11:58 PM   #9
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

We actually have an occupy Mcmaster?!? How long have I been living under a rock?!?

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 01-22-2012 at 12:06 AM   #10
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnersdrown View Post
We actually have an occupy Mcmaster?!? How long have I been living under a rock?!?
It's in the student center atrium. You can't miss it, theres like posters, and a bunch of people sitting there non-stop.
They got some cool free pins that they're giving away, LOL.
Old 01-22-2012 at 12:06 AM   #11
EngStud

Liked: 30 Times

Government isn't bailing you out. Don't be so clueless.

Bailing you out would be lending money at nearly 0% interest rate.
Old 01-22-2012 at 12:08 AM   #12
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

They have been there awhile. I remember the day theywere setting up , I was chilling waiting for class to start with a friend. they tried to entice us to help. I signed a petetion to get 30off changed to apply to more student
Old 01-22-2012 at 12:32 AM   #13
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by robots View Post
Instead of bickering in a online forum why don't you actually go up to them and ask? And they are not harming you in any way so why are you so hostile towards them? Occupy McMaster (from my understanding) is hoping to combat student apathy as it is clear there is a culture of apathy on McMaster's campus. The fact that only 15% of students vote in SRA and presidential elections is proof of this. Students need to get more involved in inspiring change, equality and social justice. There used to be a huge student movement at MAC in the 90's, but it has been replaced with a worrying amount of apathy and indifference and mockery of anything that tries to inspire change.
tbh I don't really see them doing anything to "combat apathy". They seem to just chill in their perma-camp keeping to themselves. doesn't seem like much of a protest if you ask me.

ikantsepll says thanks to anon491 for this post.
Old 01-22-2012 at 12:42 AM   #14
pathan

Liked: 0 Times

students including this forum wanna just talk bout talked obut issues like increase tuition hike pros and cons yadada...but nobody asks the real questions...eg... y is an engineering student paying a third more than a humanities or soc sci student for the same course ....( there are plenty others i can mention) so pipe down if you dun have any thing constructive to say on both ends
Old 01-22-2012 at 12:50 AM   #15
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

This forum is made so we are able to speak about any and all things that interest us. Just because those issues aren't the same as yours or the "real questions" doesn't mean they aren't important to other people.

L'Étoile likes this.