MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there any good looking female profs at mac? Rakim General Discussion 134 10-11-2010 03:12 AM
looking for female roommates! l0nd0n Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 14 05-29-2010 08:55 AM

ONLY female roommates/All female houses

Old 01-11-2011 at 05:16 PM   #1
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

ONLY female roommates/All female houses
What's wrong with this picture?

All men aren't juvenile, smelly, loud and horny garbage factories. Why am I the only one who thinks this is sexist? Or am I missing some super obvious point?

I have yet to see "Only male roommates wanted" in an ad...hm... (edit: okay I just found one, consider the below just glib hyperbole that can be reversed entirely for others who have been privy to the same type of thing from males)

As far as I'm concerned, gender has nothing to do with the type of person that lives in a house/room. Furthermore, in my experience, apart from a guy's room having that distinctive odor and maybe some undies laying around, I have yet to see a man's room being nearly as disgusting and disheveled as the vast majority of rooms I've seen that belong to chicks.

Also, once again, I have found that the ladies tend to be more insane and intrusive and loud than any male... why the ***** hate?

But essentially what I mean is why should gender factor into whether someone is allowed to live somewhere, as long as they pay and aren't complete idiots?

Last edited by Kendoon : 01-11-2011 at 05:23 PM.

alh24, _Luu_ like this.
Old 01-11-2011 at 05:19 PM   #2
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I've seen lots of "Male roommates only please" ads for rooms/apartments.
Old 01-11-2011 at 05:20 PM   #3
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I've seen lots of "Male roommates only please" ads for rooms/apartments.
Okay maybe I'm blind, but consider my point for a second.

It can easily work for either gender, I'm just saying that asking for "female/male only" is bullshit..

The last parts of my original post are just hyperbole to accompany the female side of the argument. Like I said, it's just my experience, but in reality NONE of what I said should factor into whether someone is allowed to live somewhere.

Old 01-11-2011 at 05:23 PM   #4
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Parental thing? My roommate last year told her parents that she was living with a Korean girl named Jenna because her parents didn't want her living with a boy. So maybe some parents think all men are just out to 'have sex' :S

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 01-11-2011 at 05:27 PM   #5
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

I do see your point, but I don't find it particularly sexist. From what I'm aware androphobia is far more common than gynophobia, so I can see why there might be a higher number of women who are not comfortable living with men than there are men who are uncomfortable living with women.

And consider another scenario where you and your closest friends, who are most likely of the same gender, get a house and have a room or two to rent out. Why not just make it a one-gender house to completely eliminate any risk of in-house dating which could rather awkward?

Kendoon likes this.
Old 01-11-2011 at 05:27 PM   #6
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

I agree with you kendoon. I am in no means a neat freak but I am not a messy person I like it clean and organised. I do think that just because a few guys have a bad reputation of being dirty it sticks with everyone. I guess that is the reason.

alh24 likes this.
Old 01-11-2011 at 05:27 PM   #7
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
Parental thing? My roommate last year told her parents that she was living with a Korean girl named Jenna because her parents didn't want her living with a boy. So maybe some parents think all men are just out to 'have sex' :S
Haha, parents.

Don't even get me started on that crap.

Old 01-11-2011 at 05:29 PM   #8
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
I do see your point, but I don't find it particularly sexist. From what I'm aware androphobia is far more common than gynophobia, so I can see why there might be a higher number of women who are not comfortable living with men than there are men who are uncomfortable living with women.

And consider another scenario where you and your closest friends, who are most likely of the same gender, get a house and have a room or two to rent out. Why not just make it a one-gender house to completely eliminate any risk of in-house dating which could rather awkward?
You have a point. But I guess it all comes down to how rational ones' thinking is. Me personally I know I probably wouldn't want to get involved in a situation like that.
Old 01-11-2011 at 05:31 PM   #9
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Sometimes those houses are being rented out by the parents of someone who already lives there. Several of my female friends are posting advertisements for female roommates, solely because their parents (the landlords) don't want their daughter living with boys.

I agree, though, the "all female house" advertisements are a little sexist. I live in a house that's equally split, and the guys are way tidier than us.
Old 01-11-2011 at 05:32 PM   #10
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post

I agree that in-house dating and drama could be a potential risk, but then again, why bother freaking out about it (and trust me, no guy is pining for every single girl he sees, don't flatter yourselves ladies)? Life is meant to be lived. If in-house drama arises, most people our age (unless they are the stereotypical immature LIFE4PARTYING type) will find a way to deal with it amicably, or simply ignore each other. I just don't think that would be as tremendous a deal as some would love it to be (we DO seek drama).

My usage of 'sexist' was intended to be very loose, as I understand it isn't simply black/white disdain for the opposite gender in some form or another. Perhaps I would describe it as a deeply rooted sense of irrationality.

Last, I understand the whole "I don't want a guy in the house because maybe he'll get drunk and come onto me and OH MY GOD!!!!!" mindset, regardless of how juvenile it is. Conversely, this can be said for females: "I don't want an untidy, trampish party girl in my house because she'll **** all the dudes and start a ruckus!"

My point is fundamentally that the adoption of gender preference regarding whom you intend to live with is in itself quite juvenile and irrational.

Last edited by Kendoon : 01-11-2011 at 05:38 PM.

alh24 likes this.
Old 01-11-2011 at 05:43 PM   #11
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

There's so very obviously a gajillion things that can factor into this, but my favourite is the parental argument.

Trust me, Mommy and Daddy; your beautiful angel isn't a pin-up model. She also likely doesn't dress like one. She probably doesn't even know how to act the way you'd envision her acting around men. Chances are, nobody wants anything to do with your little girl at this point in time, and even if they did - who cares? It's her life. Sex, love, emotions and friendships exist regardless of any amount of protection. She has a much higher chance of being hurt outside of the apartment or house than she does while hanging out in a home full of people that only very rarely actually even speak to each other for more than a minute at a time.

Old 01-11-2011 at 05:51 PM   #12
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

they're avoiding rape.
Old 01-11-2011 at 05:55 PM   #13
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
they're avoiding rape.
See post #11.

Don't want to get raped? Don't walk through downtown hamilton at 4AM in fishnets wearing more eyeliner than Alice Cooper and you'll be dan-****in-dy.

Old 01-11-2011 at 05:56 PM   #14
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Lol. I'm indifferent toward those ads.
Old 01-11-2011 at 05:57 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

To each his own. And maybe some girls just aren't comfortable having guys living in the same house. Also, you're forgetting cultural differences and such.

Edit: Your posts seem to generalize all girls here. Not all girls are tramps/part 24/7 /dress like... Just like not all guys are drunk all the time/party-ers, etc.