MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there any good looking female profs at mac? Rakim General Discussion 134 10-11-2010 03:12 AM
looking for female roommates! l0nd0n Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 14 05-29-2010 08:55 AM

ONLY female roommates/All female houses

Old 01-11-2011 at 06:20 PM   #31
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
Last, I understand the whole "I don't want a guy in the house because maybe he'll get drunk and come onto me and OH MY GOD!!!!!" mindset, regardless of how juvenile it is. Conversely, this can be said for females: "I don't want an untidy, trampish party girl in my house because she'll **** all the dudes and start a ruckus!"

My point is fundamentally that the adoption of gender preference regarding whom you intend to live with is in itself quite juvenile and irrational.
I don't think it's irrational. I don't mean to start a whole new debate - but maybe you don't understand because you're a guy.
Personally, I don't feel safe walking outside at night. I don't like when random men talk to me at the bus stop in downtown Hamilton. I would completely rather live with females than males. Do guys have those fears? (I'm asking because I really have no clue) For me, it's about safety, not "All guys want to have sex with me."

Maybe I'm sexist, I don't know.

EDIT: Kind of funny, I just saw a trailer that (sorta) relates to my post:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVrQ4Iu8fAs

Last edited by Kathy2 : 01-11-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2011 at 06:24 PM   #32
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephfraser View Post
I think its all about trust. My parents trust me and they trust the guys I live with, so really that's all that matters. I mean sure they weren't thrilled when I first told them I was living with guys but once they met them and saw that they were nice guys there was no issue. I also feel a lot safer living with guys than girls and I know my parents think I am safer too.
Exactly.

But not in the butterflies and sunshine "love the world and nothing will ever happen to you" Bambi way.

Last edited by Kendoon : 01-11-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2011 at 06:31 PM   #33
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I don't think it's irrational. I don't mean to start a whole new debate - but maybe you don't understand because you're a guy.
Personally, I don't feel safe walking outside at night. I don't like when random men talk to me at the bus stop in downtown Hamilton. I would completely rather live with females than males. Do guys have those fears? (I'm asking because I really have no clue) For me, it's about safety, not "All guys want to have sex with me."

Maybe I'm sexist, I don't know.

EDIT: Kind of funny, I just saw a trailer that (sorta) relates to my post:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVrQ4Iu8fAs
Feeling fear isn't irrational. Especially if you're a woman walking late at night, but trust me, men feel just the same way.

I'm going to go ahead and be completely honest here: I feel the way most women do (and I'm a large, built, masculine, "brute"-like guy) regarding, for instance, going downtown in the dark at night. I always have my guard up, yadda yadda. Guys definitely have those fears. Everyone does. Only an idiot wouldn't.

The point is that the moment you let those fears, despite these in particular being for the most part rational, take over, you open yourself up to a whole slew of negative possibilities.

Aside from this part of the sexism argument (which is a different thread entirely, IMO), I'm really just focusing on the housing thing. But I definitely understand the interplay between the two topics, and I know it's an example. I just think that's more of a topic littered with stereotypes and, quite frankly, negative influences from film, television and other media. What I mean is that a student house is not the same as wandering downtown in the dark unarmed and ill-prepared in dangerous areas, as much as some people (male and female) would love to make the comparison.

Edit: that movie trailer is basically an example of what I mean by media XD

Last edited by Kendoon : 01-11-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Kathy2 likes this.
Old 01-11-2011 at 06:34 PM   #34
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Acceptable (open to interpretation) and consensual sexual activities do not in any way hinder or undermine either party.

To label being an overprotective parent or allowing yourself as the offspring to be subjected to a parent's prying eye is an example of irresponsible and stupid parenting combined with a child that lacks any sense of autonomy.
Overprotective?

Parents should point their offspring out in the right direction. It's called parenting, look it up. When it comes down to consensual sexual activities, I'd rather point out that you're playing with fire when it comes to living with an opposite gender than leaving it at that.

If you believe letting your offspring do whatever the f*ck they want without sharing your words of wisdom. Your offspring is one step closer earning the Darwin Award.
Old 01-11-2011 at 06:35 PM   #35
sf

Liked: 36 Times

I think you also have to consider the difference between living with guys who you are friends with vs. guys who you don't know before hand. Obviously most girl's wouldn't want to live with guys they don't know for understandable reasons. But, I don't see anything wrong with living with guys who you are friends with.

Kathy2 likes this.
Old 01-11-2011 at 06:38 PM   #36
sf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
Overprotective?

Parents should point their offspring out in the right direction. It's called parenting, look it up. When it comes down to consensual sexual activities, I'd rather point out that you're playing with fire when it comes to living with an opposite gender than leaving it at that.

If you believe letting your offspring do whatever the f*ck they want without sharing your words of wisdom. Your offspring is one step closer earning the Darwin Award.
I think you are generalizing here. I live with guys and not once have I wanted to have sex with them. We are just friends, nothing more. So to say that you are playing with fire if a girl is living with a guy is short sighted. Sure, some people will hook up, but other's won't, it all depends on your personality. Really if someone wants to have sex they will, whether its with some guy they live with or some random they meet in a club.
Old 01-11-2011 at 06:40 PM   #37
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Overprotective?

I don't know if you're attempting to troll me (success imminent!) or are just plain unintuitive.

Parenting - excellent.

Sharing words of wisdom at any age - more than excellent.

Pointing their offspring in the right direction - amazingly helpful.

Overlording and monitoring your child's sexual activities, relationships, interests at this point in their life - detrimental.

Not realizing that your job as a parent is essentially coming to an end and that your child might need to experience a few minor (non-life shattering, I mean, come on, we're talking about porking a guy you have a crush on here) "Darwin" moments in their life - recipe for reversing all of your hard work.

Old 01-11-2011 at 06:43 PM   #38
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
I think you are generalizing here. I live with guys and not once have I wanted to have sex with them. We are just friends, nothing more. So to say that you are playing with fire if a girl is living with a guy is short sighted. Sure, some people will hook up, but other's won't, it all depends on your personality. Really if someone wants to have sex they will, whether its with some guy they live with or some random they meet in a club.
Bhaltair seems to believe that two adults living near each other will DEFINITELY HAVE SEX BECAUSE ALLELES MUST BE PROPAGATED AND BABIES AND HUMANS DON'T HAVE SELF CONTROL WHATSOEVER! Buddy, you're forgetting psychology. You're forgetting simple things like:

What if the guy is ugly?
What if the girl is ugly?
What if they just aren't attracted to each other?
What if they aren't horny?
What if *insert million other factors here*?

We aren't talking about putting a 20 year old Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie into a bedroom together and telling them "DON'T DO ANYTHING OR I WILL BE VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU!" here.

Old 01-11-2011 at 06:47 PM   #39
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Quote:
You may feel that way but what about the guys? You're telling me they have never once considered getting you into their beds? I find it hard to believe. Unless the guys have a girlfriend, it is difficult to control their urges if they are surrounded by attractive females.

They may respect your distance and leave it at the friendship level. University is all about stress and sex is the best way to relieve it. We all know that.

That's what I meant by playing with fire.
Old 01-11-2011 at 06:50 PM   #40
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
You may feel that way but what about the guys? You're telling me they have never once considered getting you into their beds? I find it hard to believe. Unless the guys have a girlfriend, it is difficult to control their urges if they are surrounded by attractive females.

They may respect your distance and leave it at the friendship level. University is all about stress and sex is the best way to relieve it. We all know that.

You have a very shallow and cynical (don't take that as a complement, you aren't Dr. House) view of human nature XD

I don't think about bedding every attractive female I meet. Guess I'm just an anomaly.

Old 01-11-2011 at 06:50 PM   #41
sf

Quote:

I think the main thing is though that it doesn't matter if they have thought about it, its the fact that they haven't. So you are right, I have no idea if they have thought about it, but to me it doesn't matter because I know that they won't. If you are living with these guys then chances are they respect you enough to know not to cross boundaries unless you are both willing.
Old 01-11-2011 at 06:53 PM   #42
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:

*FACEPALM*
Old 01-11-2011 at 06:54 PM   #43
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Quote:
Bhaltair seems to believe that two adults living near each other will DEFINITELY HAVE SEX BECAUSE ALLELES MUST BE PROPAGATED AND BABIES AND HUMANS DON'T HAVE SELF CONTROL WHATSOEVER! Buddy, you're forgetting psychology. You're forgetting simple things like:

What if the guy is ugly?
What if the girl is ugly?
What if they just aren't attracted to each other?
What if they aren't horny?
What if *insert million other factors here*?

We aren't talking about putting a 20 year old Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie into a bedroom together and telling them "DON'T DO ANYTHING OR I WILL BE VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU!" here.
I see your point. If I had a roommate who neglects her body hygiene. The thought wouldn't cross my mind. However, if she is extremely attractive and she constantly walks around with an underwear and a bra as her PJs.

My balls will be controlling me unfortunately.
Old 01-11-2011 at 06:57 PM   #44
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
I see your point. If I had a roommate who neglects her body hygiene. The thought wouldn't cross my mind. However, if she is extremely attractive and she constantly walks around with an underwear and a bra as her PJs.

My balls will be controlling me unfortunately.
Are we playing state the obvious now?

Old 01-11-2011 at 07:10 PM   #45
Bhaltair
Elite Member

I'd say this is a successive troll. Off I go.

My real opinion, I really don't care. The only thought that came across my mind when I read your first post was two things.

If it was a female teacher screwing a boy, most likely the father would praise the son.
If it was a male teacher screwing a girl, most likely the father would strangle the teacher and there will be a public outcry.

If a male moved in with female roommates, the father would give the son a high five.
If a female moved in with male roommates, the father would raise an eyebrow and question the daughter's motive.

In European countries, they take in their elderly parents in their own home to take care of them. In Western countries, we put our elderly parents in a nursing home.

This is our culture, why question it?

Next.