Philos 1B03 textbooks anyone? Juicebox Academics 0 01-08-2010 01:44 PM
Philos 1A03 or 1B03?? tammy37 Academics 1 12-22-2008 06:43 AM
Linguist 1a03 ppppp Academics 1 07-05-2008 01:33 PM

Opinions on LINGUIST 1A03 or PHILOS 1B03

Old 06-27-2010 at 09:48 PM   #1
MTK3

Liked: 0 Times

Opinions on LINGUIST 1A03 or PHILOS 1B03
I'm looking for some electives for first year and I've already decided on Anthro, Psycho, French, and Communication. Any ideas on Linguistics or Philosophy, Law and Society? I saw that Philosophy has a load of essays. And any comments on the already selected electives?

I only have so many electives b/c I've already taken Data and Calculus in high school so those spots are converted into electives.
Old 06-27-2010 at 10:37 PM   #2
memyselfandi

I'm going in for nursing and I am choosing linguistics 1A03 as my elective...seems interesting and it's supposedly a bird course. It also has no essays....thank god because I hate essays lol.
Old 06-30-2010 at 12:52 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yup, Linguistics 1A03 is interesting (in my opinion) and has no essays, just weekly assignments and occasional quizzes in tutorial. Dr. Moro is amazing, and I'd recommend her with anything :]
Old 07-01-2010 at 09:49 AM   #4
Nikki03

Linguistics was a really interesting course and I recommend it. I took philosophy 1B03 last year and I found it extremely boring. There were three essays during the term and the final exam also had an essay and short answer questions. The prof from last year (Dr. Scarafa or something like that) was really boring, but I think if there's a different prof teaching it this year it could be really interesting.
Old 07-01-2010 at 09:51 AM   #5
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki03 View Post
Linguistics was a really interesting course and I recommend it. I took philosophy 1B03 last year and I found it extremely boring. There were three essays during the term and the final exam also had an essay and short answer questions. The prof from last year (Dr. Scarafa or something like that) was really boring, but I think if there's a different prof teaching it this year it could be really interesting.
Agreed - the professor last year was pretty much the university equivalent of John Madden.
Old 07-01-2010 at 09:53 AM   #6
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

What Feona said.
Old 07-01-2010 at 10:37 AM   #7
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
What Feona said.
Just to add further emphasis, I too agree with her! Dr. Moro is awesome -- she presents material in such an organized and easy-to-understand manner, so you shouldn't have a lot of difficulty in her classes. Don't get me wrong, she's not easy; but if you put forth the effort and know what she tells you to know, you will do well in her class -- she doesn't try to trick students like some other profs.