MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Religious Studies 1D06 Con19 1st Year Course Reviews 1 12-27-2012 01:53 PM
Religious Studies 3N03 leah.d Academics 5 06-02-2010 11:04 AM
Religious Studies ferreinm Academics 9 05-30-2009 07:09 PM

Opposition to religious indifference on Campus..

Old 02-28-2013 at 12:12 PM   #16
mac_5555

Liked: 3 Times

as an atheist, i totally understand this as i have people of all treating me in a way that they are convinced i am wrong and can help me enlighten my life and reach heaven IF ONLY i listen to them. It is so annoying to have everybody try to convince you when you know for a fact that its all make believe to yourself. Some people may place paramount faith in their own god which i guess enables them to give a thorough and boring leture on it.

Afzal likes this.
Old 02-28-2013 at 02:41 PM   #17
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy89 View Post
isn't god a flying spaghetti monster?
R'amen.

Also, to answer the question of why promotion of religion bothers people, here's a story:

I was raised Catholic until I became first a deist, and then an atheist, in highschool. During clubsfest of my very first year at McMaster, I happened to walk past some sort of Chinese Christian club. A lady from the table started talking to me despite my clear intention to walk past without stopping. I politely told her that I wasn't interested, thank you, and made to walk off. She followed and called after me. I then told her, again quite politely, that I was decidedly not interested and "Sorry, but I'm actually an atheist."

Her response? "It's okay, you can be saved."

I could not believe my fucking ears. You want to give others an easy way to access your club/religion if they're interested? Great. Fantastic. But this solicitation crap? Everyone who does that can fuck right off.

BONUS STORY: Campus for Christ came into my rez first year (Whidden) and went door to door. Knocking. INSIDE A RESIDENCE.

Last edited by Amaryll : 02-28-2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Answered the question.

Afzal, Chris23 like this.
Old 02-28-2013 at 02:44 PM   #18
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
R'amen.

12char.
lmao.

This took me a couple of seconds

Old 02-28-2013 at 05:35 PM   #19
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

I think that, by university, everyone has decided at least somewhat on a religious path to choose.
Me, I went to a Catholic high school. Worst four years of my life. Any Christian club want to come near me, I'll give them a mouthful of exactly what I learnt from that place...
All them nuns and preachers...
Old 02-28-2013 at 09:34 PM   #20
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

I'm completely indifferent to religion. I really don't care whether there is any higher being or not. It's not really relevant to my life.

Last year, (when I was still thinking about religion and such) I was approached by a girl from Campus For Christ. I was a bit curious so I agreed to chat with her. She talked about her "personal relationship with Jesus". She didn't really explain what that meant, so I just nodded and put in my own views as well.
But then she just went on and on about her "relationship with Jesus" and how that was the most important thing, etc, etc.

Then it hit me why I found her ideas so uncomfortable. I thought her to be weak. That she was so clingy and dependent on this idea that even if only this one being is loving her and supporting her, she will make it through.
It just seemed kind of delusional to me.
Also, was she so loosely bound to her morals that she needed this kind of pressure to do the "right" thing? I thought it was an unreasonable way of thinking.

But really, I haven't thought of it much since then. So whatever, live and let live.

Afzal likes this.
Old 02-28-2013 at 11:11 PM   #21
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

Why argue about religion we are only going to find out the answer when were dead anyways.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 02-28-2013 at 11:14 PM   #22
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^wat. if nothing happens when we die, we wont be able to comprehend anythin cuz we will be dead.

mac_5555, Zebedee like this.
Old 02-28-2013 at 11:21 PM   #23
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

I actually believe that will probably happen. Well then arguing was a waste of time...
Old 02-28-2013 at 11:25 PM   #24
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

that most likely will happen but the discussions are needed so people can see what really matters and learn not to get their religion in politics, schools, in our faces, w.e

airvcarmelo likes this.
Old 03-02-2013 at 06:17 PM   #25
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
I'm completely indifferent to religion. I really don't care whether there is any higher being or not. It's not really relevant to my life.

Last year, (when I was still thinking about religion and such) I was approached by a girl from Campus For Christ. I was a bit curious so I agreed to chat with her. She talked about her "personal relationship with Jesus". She didn't really explain what that meant, so I just nodded and put in my own views as well.
But then she just went on and on about her "relationship with Jesus" and how that was the most important thing, etc, etc.

Then it hit me why I found her ideas so uncomfortable. I thought her to be weak. That she was so clingy and dependent on this idea that even if only this one being is loving her and supporting her, she will make it through.
It just seemed kind of delusional to me.
Also, was she so loosely bound to her morals that she needed this kind of pressure to do the "right" thing? I thought it was an unreasonable way of thinking.

But really, I haven't thought of it much since then. So whatever, live and let live.
I couldnt agree more with your thoughts on the dependency people of faith seem to exhibit. Not knocking on their beliefs, to each their own, but from the outside looking in, they seem like they dont have a defined identity for themselves. It seems that they use, as you said, a "relationship with Jesus" to define who they are, and as you stated again, most of those people cant give a CONCRETE definition of what that even means.
I had someone come to my door today offering me to their annual celebration of the life and death of Jesus Christ. When i told them I was not interested, they continued to talk and press their beliefs on me, as though their persistence would somehow sway my opinion.
Those people are like telemarketers, they seem to think that if they annoy you enough, you will cave in and buy their product. If i wanted to be a part of your religious group, i would find my way there on my own, not by your constant harassment to "see the light".