MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opting out from Dental/Health plan Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-25-2010 07:36 PM
Opting out of MSU Dental and Health Plans Chad MSU & On-Campus Services 43 01-06-2009 07:58 AM

Opting out of the MSU

Old 07-26-2009 at 05:52 PM   #31
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Nicole, I meant the contradiction I noticed while the SRA members were talking about a certain factual-ish issue the Speakers Resignation. If there is official word from an all knowing source then we won't have contradictory or imperfect information by people who are posting out of their own accord. And it doesn't neccesarily have to be a full time position. It can be a student exec who is paid much less then a normal BOD and works part time as well. The post from the VP should obviously not be opinionated since that is what the Sil is often accused of, plus as with the Sil vs MSU employment controversy of last year, the Sil is by no means an "agent" of the MSU. It is a student run paper that is to a good extent autonomous regarding what it posts, it also has a history of sometimes being critical of the MSU. So I reaaallly don't know why you are using the existence of sil as an argument AGAINST the Communications position. Infact it could also be used FOR, the Vp would simply diseminate unbiased information from within the MSU. So I don't know where the unified voice issue comes from, the Vp doesn't need to be a voice(I'm using a wierd analogy where a voice belongs to a human and a human is biased!) it just needs to be a source.

But it was just a random suggestion, the other choice could obviously be that the BOD and the SRA make additional efforts, but we all hopefully will get to see that over the year!

Mark: This might help? http://www.msumcmaster.ca/faqs/overv...w/MSU+MAPS.htm

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 07-26-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2009 at 05:56 PM   #32
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I already emailed MAPS about it. Do you by chance have the email for MSU, so I can cover both bases?
Going through all the people I can think of, I can't think of who in particular would be in charge of this particular matter.

What I would do is go to the MSU office itself (if you can) and talk to Virona, the receptionist who would likely know who to go to (since she deals with this stuff all the time). If you can't go to the MSU office, you can email Virona at

[email protected] ster.ca
Old 07-26-2009 at 05:59 PM   #33
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Nicole, I meant the contradiction I noticed while the SRA members were talking about a certain factual-ish issue the Speakers Resignation. If there is official word from an all knowing source then we won't have contradictory or imperfect information by people who are posting out of their own accord. And it doesn't neccesarily have to be a full time position. It can be a student exec who is paid much less then a normal BOD and works part time as well. The post from the VP should obviously not be opinionated since that is what the Sil is often accused of, plus as with the Sil vs MSU employment controversy of last year, the Sil is by no means an "agent" of the MSU. It is a student run paper that is to a good extent autonomous regarding what it posts, it also has a history of sometimes being critical of the MSU. So I reaaallly don't know why you are using the existence of sil as an argument AGAINST the Communications position. Infact it could also be used FOR, the Vp would simply diseminate unbiased information from within the MSU. So I don't know where the unified voice issue comes from, the Vp doesn't need to be a voice(I'm using a wierd analogy where a voice belongs to a human and a human is biased!) it just needs to be a source.

But it was just a random suggestion, the other choice could obviously be that the BOD and the SRA make additional efforts, but we all hopefully will get to see that over the year!

Mark: This might help? http://www.msumcmaster.ca/faqs/overv...w/MSU+MAPS.htm

I'm kind of neutral about the suggestion of another VP position right now... I can see how it would be beneficial, but I'm not sure it would be worth the extra salary (you can't justify having one VP paid less/differently from all the others). Another solution would be to create a position entirely for this job who would not be an executive member.

I'm not sure at this point... I know the BoD has been pretty good with updating SRA members, since I've been getting regular updates from most of them, but updating the general population is another story.

Last edited by tauntobr : 07-26-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-26-2009 at 06:03 PM   #34
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post
I'm kind of neutral about the suggestion of another VP position right now... I can see how it would be beneficial, but I'm not sure it would be worth the extra salary (you can't justify having one VP paid less/differently from all the others). Another solution would be to create a position entirely for this job who would not be an executive member.

I'm not sure at this point... I know the BoD has been pretty good with updating SRA members, since I've been getting regular updates from most of them, but updating the general population is another story.
That's sort of what I implied, I suppose the excessive usage of the word VP got it muddled up. In my original email I also mentioned that a number of communications studies majors(or anyone interested in such experience) might be interested in rare communications experience; so much so that they might even take the job at minimum part time wage! The BOD I understand have alot of other stuff to do on a daily basis, this job would fill up the void and liason between all of them.

Old 07-26-2009 at 06:08 PM   #35
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
That's sort of what I implied, I suppose the excessive usage of the word VP got it muddled up. In my original email I also mentioned that a number of communications studies majors(or anyone interested in such experience) might be interested in rare communications experience; so much so that they might even take the job at minimum part time wage! The BOD I understand have alot of other stuff to do on a daily basis, this job would fill up the void and liason between all of them.
There are numerous positions available for those who are interested in communications positions. Also, as VP Communications for the IRC, I know how demanding it is just to deal with residence issues alone. It's A LOT more work than you think. It's often behind the scene work. I can't justify a minimum wage part-time position for the MSU. There is greater accountability as there are more students involved and to represent.
Old 07-26-2009 at 06:14 PM   #36
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
What I would like you to do, is contact Amanda Stevens (the commissioner for the SRA Standing Committee on Operations) and let her know about this idea. I'm still unsure about it and think it would take some extra thought and research, but I'd like to see it brought up to her, and hopefully from there it might reach the Assembly and we could debate it. I would also let her know who you are, and that you're from FYC.

You can contact Ms. Stevens at [email protected] a

Last edited by tauntobr : 07-26-2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-26-2009 at 06:15 PM   #37
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
There are numerous positions available for those who are interested in communications positions. Also, as VP Communications for the IRC, I know how demanding it is just to deal with residence issues alone. It's A LOT more work than you think. It's often behind the scene work. I can't justify a minimum wage part-time position for the MSU. There is greater accountability as there are more students involved and to represent.
Well that depends on your work ethic really! If someone really believes in and loves what they are doing they will do it on volunteer basis(not that I am suggesting that). I have been told by a few people that the ridiculous number of hours and stress I have put in for two msu volunteer positions this year is just plain "crazy and stupid". It doesn't matter what your position is(I am for example a lowly MSU member in Operations and on the FYC) it is how committed you are to it that counts! But then again one of my several philosophies in life is the protestant work ethic! soo I'm probably biased

Ben I am actually on the Operations Committee, but I wasn't sure or had no idea that the creation of a bylaw(Which is what a new position would be) could be handled by Operations :S But then again we only have had one meeting. I'll try bringing it up.

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 07-26-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-26-2009 at 06:16 PM   #38
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
I found that page last night. Problem is, I don't know which one I'm in. Until I do, I don't know whether I'd qualify for a transfer.
Old 07-26-2009 at 06:18 PM   #39
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post
Going through all the people I can think of, I can't think of who in particular would be in charge of this particular matter.

What I would do is go to the MSU office itself (if you can) and talk to Virona, the receptionist who would likely know who to go to (since she deals with this stuff all the time). If you can't go to the MSU office, you can email Virona at

[email protected] ster.ca
Thanks. I'll try the email. If I go to Hamilton anytime soon, I'll pop in. But since I live 3 hours away, I don't see that happening just now
Old 07-26-2009 at 06:18 PM   #40
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I found that page last night. Problem is, I don't know which one I'm in. Until I do, I don't know whether I'd qualify for a transfer.
Oh I see, What about your payment agreement? Does it show where your supplementary fees are going? Or you could perhaps call the registrars office to see where they have registered you in? :S

Old 07-26-2009 at 06:25 PM   #41
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
...but I wasn't sure or had no idea that the creation of a bylaw(Which is what a new position would be) could be handled by Operations :S But then again we only have had one meeting. I'll try bringing it up.
Any committee can write policy or draft a bylaw.

Hypothetically let's say that the operations committee decides to look into the possiblity of a new communications position, they would research it, possibly interview people/talk to consituents, and then write a draft. This could be done in conjunction with the Bylaws and Procedures Committee, or not. Once the draft is complete, the Operations committee would present it to the Assembly, who would then vote on approving it and sending it to Bylaws and Procedures for revisions/editing.

Finally, they would bring it back to the Assembly and we would vote on the final product.
Old 07-26-2009 at 06:26 PM   #42
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Well that depends on your work ethic really! If someone really believes in and loves what they are doing they will do it on volunteer basis(not that I am suggesting that). I have been told by a few people that the ridiculous number of hours and stress I have put in for two msu volunteer positions this year is just plain "crazy and stupid". It doesn't matter what your position is(I am for example a lowly MSU member in Operations and on the FYC) it is how committed you are to it that counts! But then again one of my several philosophies in life is the protestant work ethic! soo I'm probably biased

Ben I am actually on the Operations Committee, but I wasn't sure or had no idea that the creation of a bylaw(Which is what a new position would be) could be handled by Operations :S But then again we only have had one meeting. I'll try bringing it up.
I know what it's like to be a workaholic. I'm the type of person who gets involved in way too much and I get too attached to the position. However, as VP Communications you'll be the first to get criticized and honestly it's not easy for me to do in the IRC let alone with the MSU. It takes not only A LOT of work and passion but also a really, really, really thick skin to deal with it. A lot of pressure is on the VP Communications. For instance, say the coordinator of SWHAT-- they're focus is on ensuring SWHAT runs smoothly. However, the VP Communications would have to focus on ensuring that the correct information is out there and they represent the entiiiiiiire MSU. It is definitely not a part-time minimum wage job.
Old 07-26-2009 at 07:09 PM   #43
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Oh I see, What about your payment agreement? Does it show where your supplementary fees are going? Or you could perhaps call the registrars office to see where they have registered you in? :S
I don't see it on the payment agreement anywhere. Guess I have a fun day of phone calls to make yay!
Old 07-26-2009 at 08:07 PM   #44
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

it's a supplementary fee and should be on there
Old 07-26-2009 at 08:24 PM   #45
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

I think this problem has even deeper roots. This sort of union is supposed to be something that belongs to everyone but I've often seen people who are more involved take credit for it. The fact that someone wants to opt out of it really speaks to how the organization has lost its connection to its purpose. I've been reading the constitution, probably something waay beyond what a general student would ever do, and it says that it's supposed to 'draw [mac students] into a true society' but it always only seems to be it's own bubble that a student might occasionally bump into for a service. Even the maroons.. they used to be HUGE. If someone were to tell you that today, you wouldn't believe it. It used to be something everyone was involved in and represented the all-encompassing mcmaster spirit group.. now it is just a few people who maybe do welcome week and frost week. This says that the student body has lost touch with its union.

I hate when people chalk up low voter turnout to student apathy. I am not involved with the msu. I didn't get to vote in the SRA election. Am I lazy? No! Do you think I don't care? Well I do care.. I didn't vote because I didn't know when it was until it was too late. My friends didn't vote because they don't think they should put their time into something that has been irrelevant to their student experience thus far. I know they would probably start to care if they could see what the point of the MSU is supposed to be but all this hoopla and bad press really clouds your vision.

I don't know if a vp communications would help and I won't speak to either side because this isn't one person's job to fix. It's supposed to belong to all of us. People can keep pointing fingers because really it's the whole idea of the union that people are forgetting. Everyone needs to see this and do their part or else we just look like hungry hungry hippos all grasping for our marbles.

AnguishedEnd, huzaifa47 like this.