MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking Chem 2OB3 during the school year after taking 2OA3 during the summer... oranges Academics 4 08-17-2011 07:47 PM

Organic Chem 2OA3 & 2OB3 For Grad School?

Old 06-13-2013 at 09:32 PM   #1
infinitemac

Liked: 0 Times

Organic Chem 2OA3 & 2OB3 For Grad School?
Hey guys,

Hope Solar treated y'all better than it treated me

I was wondering if you need the two organic chems; 2OA3 and 2OB3 for grad school as a prerequisite...chemis try wasn't my strongest area in first year but I'm wondering if I will have to take these for grad school...The grad school programs (biology focused) I looked at say that you just need general biology courses...would it be an asset to take these two or should I just go for Chem 2E03?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2013 at 09:48 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

you really wanna do bio in grad school? im surprised you decided that already, especially when youre just going into 2nd year. if you dont think you need orgo, dont take it. just look at prereqs like you already have to get your answer. youre going into 2nd year only so even if you do need orgo for some reason, you still have 3 years to do it. dont take it this year if you dont want to.
Old 06-13-2013 at 09:50 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

I think not taking them will put you at a disadvantage, particularly if you do any drug-related research. I don't know if it's a strict requirement, but it will definitely be to your advantage if you do take it, ESPECIALLY if chemistry isn't something you're naturally good at - it will be harder for you to teach yourself in grad school without the foundations.
Old 06-14-2013 at 09:24 AM   #4
GrapeSalad

Liked: 0 Times

First year chem is completely different from second year orgo. I did terrible in first year chem and actually very well in orgo. It's a completely different (much more interesting) type of chemistry that I actually enjoyed and found easier, and you might as well.

Also all of the grad schools I've looked at that require organic chem, specify that they must have a lab component, which chem 2E03 does not. Besides lab marks are easy, free marks!