MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
organic chem, when to take it? pandachi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 04-20-2009 08:38 PM

Organic Chem Confusion!

Old 08-07-2010 at 09:06 PM   #1
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Organic Chem Confusion!
Will someone please explain the differences between intro: organic chem 2E03 and organic chem 20A3? Are they anti requisites of each other or some?

Thank You.
Old 08-07-2010 at 09:09 PM   #2
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times

They are essentially the same in terms of material but one if anti-req for the other. 2E03 has no labs and if you take 2E03 you can take 2OA3 later but you will lose your credit for 2E03 or something like that. Also, you can't take 2OB3 without 2OA3 but I think a high grade in 2E03 would let you take courses that need 2nd year organic chemistry. 2OA3 is a good choice for grad/professional schools but if you just need a credit in 2nd year chem, 2E03 should be enough.

mcmastergcdb says thanks to qwerty! for this post.
Old 08-07-2010 at 09:11 PM   #3
irule333

Liked: 2 Times

2E03 has no labs and doesnt count as prereq for 2OB3
they are antirequisites (tho if you take 2E03 and then take 2OA3 then you forfeit the credit in 2E03)

mcmastergcdb says thanks to irule333 for this post.
Old 08-07-2010 at 09:21 PM   #4
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty! View Post
They are essentially the same in terms of material but one if anti-req for the other. 2E03 has no labs and if you take 2E03 you can take 2OA3 later but you will lose your credit for 2E03 or something like that. Also, you can't take 2OB3 without 2OA3 but I think a high grade in 2E03 would let you take courses that need 2nd year organic chemistry. 2OA3 is a good choice for grad/professional schools but if you just need a credit in 2nd year chem, 2E03 should be enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irule333 View Post
2E03 has no labs and doesnt count as prereq for 2OB3
they are antirequisites (tho if you take 2E03 and then take 2OA3 then you forfeit the credit in 2E03)
ohhhh...But the thing is im only in Life Science II and you need honours. But Im still undecided with what I want to do. Im thinking of going into chem because I loved Chem 1AA3 that I took this summer more than Bio 1A03.
I was wondering if you can get into honours with a close 6? Can I still make it in to chemistry or bio-chem and stuff in third year?

Man I fuked up!
Old 08-07-2010
qwerty!
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-07-2010 at 09:30 PM   #5
qwerty!

You can ask for a waiver for Chem 2OA3. I think they look at your Chem 1A03/1AA3 marks and make a decision accordingly. If you really enjoy chem and did well in the past, chances are you'll get the waiver. I think you should easily be able to get into Honours Life Science with a 6, but I don't know about Honours Chem. If you want to go into Chem/Biochem, I strongly suggest you take Chem2OA3. It's not really hard like people make it out to be. Just give it time and since you enjoy chem, it might not be so bad. Keep trying. It's okay, a lot of people mess up during first year but make up for it later. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2010
sinthusized
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-07-2010 at 09:41 PM   #6
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
You can ask for a waiver for Chem 2OA3. I think they look at your Chem 1A03/1AA3 marks and make a decision accordingly. If you really enjoy chem and did well in the past, chances are you'll get the waiver. I think you should easily be able to get into Honours Life Science with a 6, but I don't know about Honours Chem. If you want to go into Chem/Biochem, I strongly suggest you take Chem2OA3. It's not really hard like people make it out to be. Just give it time and since you enjoy chem, it might not be so bad. Keep trying. It's okay, a lot of people mess up during first year but make up for it later. Good luck!
Yea thanks man! I will try and ask for waiver. Im gonna wait for my chem 1AA3 marks to come out though.
Old 08-07-2010 at 10:02 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
ohhhh...But the thing is im only in Life Science II and you need honours. But Im still undecided with what I want to do. Im thinking of going into chem because I loved Chem 1AA3 that I took this summer more than Bio 1A03.
I was wondering if you can get into honours with a close 6? Can I still make it in to chemistry or bio-chem and stuff in third year?

Man I fuked up!
Yeah, you can ask for a waiver, but there's no guarantee they'll let you.

You probably won't get into chem/chembio/biochem with a 6 average--that's the minimum to be considered, but the actual averages tend to be much higher. Although, if not a lot of people apply, you might get lucky. If you want to transfer in for third year, you'll have to take all/most of the courses required at the second year level for the program, or you'll have to repeat second year.
If you're serious about switching, talk to a science academic advisor, and they can tell you the best way to go about it from your current situation. Also, if you're in the 3yr program by choice, but had the marks to get into honours, you can ask to see if you can get transferred to honours life sci (thus allowing you to take 2OA3 without a waiver).
Old 08-15-2010 at 08:28 PM   #8
qwerty!

What exactly does forfeit of credit mean? I understand you don't get the grade like '7' or '8' on your CA, but will your over all GPA still be counted with the units of the forfeited course?
Old 08-15-2010 at 08:30 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
What exactly does forfeit of credit mean? I understand you don't get the grade like '7' or '8' on your CA, but will your over all GPA still be counted with the units of the forfeited course?
I think it just means it gets replaced. So it won't even appear in your transcript.

qwerty! says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-15-2010 at 08:32 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
It's as if you never took the course. You'd need to take 3 units to make up for those lost 3 units, and the grade doesn't count towards your CA. For example, if you take chem 2E03 then 2OA3, your 2OA3 grade and credit will replace your 2E03 grade and credit. I'm not sure if it actually disappears from your transcript, but it won't count for anything.

qwerty! says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 10-12-2010 at 07:56 PM   #11
j***l

Liked: 0 Times

Hi. I am looking for someone who understands organic chemistry very well. I am taking chem 2e03, which is similar to chem 2OA3. I have a test this friday... its short notice but I am willing to pay $20/hr. Thanks!