MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
H Bio v.s. H Bio w/ Psychology v.s. H Bio Origins oxelhs Academics 3 06-02-2011 01:05 PM
About Origins 2LU3 ae1011 Academics 1 06-08-2010 05:10 PM
The Origins Specialization goodnews.inc Academics 3 02-16-2010 03:45 PM

To origins or not to origins

Old 06-13-2011 at 05:07 AM   #1
Sheikia

Liked: 15 Times

To origins or not to origins
Hey Guys,

So I cannot decide between just pure Hons. Chem or Chem with Origins specialization. I have been going back and forth forever.

My main worries are that Origins is way more work and less electives. Also, it's very specific and I don't know if I will like it at all. I also took Dr. Stone's course Bio 1M03 last year and I really didn't like him as a teacher, and I know he teaches a lot of the origins courses.

On the other hand, it sounds really interesting (from what I've heard and read), if I like it, then it is a specific/small enough stream that I will be able to make more connections, and the class sizes are smaller. Also, I do enjoy physics somewhat, and I've heard that you get to work more in all areas of science (biology and physics) instead of completely shutting them out (Upper year chemists take no physics courses)

I can't decide! My pro-con lists are exactly equal on both sides for me. And I only have until tomorrow to decide.

Any insight would be appreciated
Old 06-13-2011 at 05:16 AM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Curiosity ! I guess u should do origins !

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 06-13-2011 at 06:10 AM   #3
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

I'd go with Origins...although I'm in Origins. Workload won't be much higher if you're remotely interested in the courses and you'll definitely make more connections. Also, what didn't you like about Dr.Stone? Not sure how he taught 1M03, but the Origins courses he taught were pretty good. If you choose Origins, 2nd year Origin classes are pretty big like 100+ but they narrow down to around 30 in 3rd year courses even 10 in the seminar course. Good luck with your decision!

Sheikia says thanks to ShouldBeStudying for this post.
Old 06-13-2011 at 07:15 AM   #4
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

There's also a minor in Origins available if you'd be interested in that.. For the longest time I thought I just wouldn't get a minor, before realizing that was an option. Even though I'm in bio, I love astronomy and physics and things of the sort, yet I detest the amount of math I'd have to do to get a minor in astronomy. Turns out it seems like a minor in Orgins would satiate that hunger =D

Sheikia says thanks to Freak705 for this post.
Old 06-13-2011 at 07:17 AM   #5
Sheikia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
There's also a minor in Origins available if you'd be interested in that.. For the longest time I thought I just wouldn't get a minor, before realizing that was an option. Even though I'm in bio, I love astronomy and physics and things of the sort, yet I detest the amount of math I'd have to do to get a minor in astronomy. Turns out it seems like a minor in Orgins would satiate that hunger =D
What's the difference between a minor and a specialization?
Old 06-13-2011 at 07:42 AM   #6
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1481.html

The two links at the bottom of the page
Old 06-13-2011 at 07:48 AM   #7
rathmasm

Liked: 1 Time

Just so you know the Origins Research specialization sometimes conflicts with the mandatory Chem courses. I was in this program in second year and i was the only person in the specialization and the courses conflicted. I am now just in Honours chem. So I would look at conflicting courses first.

Sheikia says thanks to rathmasm for this post.

lgraham likes this.
Old 06-13-2011 at 07:55 AM   #8
Sheikia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1481.html

The two links at the bottom of the page
I'm sorry. I read them but I still don't understand the difference. I'm trying to compare the courses but they look the same to me.

What I think I can gather is that the specialization requires more credits in origins courses? Do you have to do the seminar and thesis in both?
Old 06-13-2011 at 07:58 AM   #9
Sheikia

Okay I read it a couple more times and I think I understand it better now. The specialization requires you to do the 4th year seminar and thesis, whereas the minor just requires to take a certain number of origins courses.

Is that correct?
Old 06-13-2011 at 08:00 AM   #10
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

Origins... is amazing. Best courses I've taken at university by far.

Sheikia likes this.
Old 06-13-2011 at 08:05 AM   #11
Sheikia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathmasm View Post
Just so you know the Origins Research specialization sometimes conflicts with the mandatory Chem courses. I was in this program in second year and i was the only person in the specialization and the courses conflicted. I am now just in Honours chem. So I would look at conflicting courses first.
Thanks! I checked it out and it seems to be fine for second year. But now you've got me worried for later years. What if I complete second year specialization, only to find that I can't complete it in third or fourth because of conflicts?

Can they really offer a specialization and then not let you continue because of scheduling?
Old 06-13-2011 at 08:20 AM   #12
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikia View Post
Thanks! I checked it out and it seems to be fine for second year. But now you've got me worried for later years. What if I complete second year specialization, only to find that I can't complete it in third or fourth because of conflicts?

Can they really offer a specialization and then not let you continue because of scheduling?
Dude. Just take Origins. It's far more fulfilling to you as an individual than chem. Unless you want to be a chemist or something. It opens your mind to the entire universe in a way that can't be done in other classes. It's an awesome set of courses. I'm getting the minor in in this year, and I'm so happy I've found a set of electives that I like so much. Didn't think it was possible until last year when I took Origins of Spacetime. Best course... evahr.

Sheikia likes this.
Old 06-13-2011 at 08:22 AM   #13
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

A minor will not be written in BOLD in your final transcript like your program name, it will bust be a line saying "student completed a minor in _____" but you can put it in your resume immediately after saying that you have completed a bachelor of science in honors chemistry.

Like I said earlier go with origins, Its so awesome you get to study how the universe came by and stuff. Its very cool and I wish I did that.

and no I don't think you will get conflicts since they picked on that from last years and probably have fixed it, every year the scheduling gets changed in master timetable.

Good luck and all the best.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 06-13-2011 at 02:58 PM   #14
rathmasm

Liked: 1 Time

Chem degrees are fulfilling. Its a heavy courseload and we don't have very many electives anyway, but you can transfer out of that specialization after second year if you don't like it. But like I said there are very few people in that program so there may be conflicts. Good Luck!