MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Owe OSAP money tylerearl General Discussion 3 07-09-2011 08:57 PM
OSAP - Missing Money? MacAttk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 09-16-2010 12:00 PM
Has anyone received Osap money yet? goldfish101 General Discussion 17 09-16-2009 10:55 PM
OSAP money not enough!! tammy37 Financial Aid 15 07-15-2009 11:51 PM
Osap money Harlequin General Discussion 2 01-18-2009 10:55 AM

OSAP & Summer Job Money

Old 07-10-2012 at 04:12 PM   #1
optimism

Liked: 14 Times

OSAP & Summer Job Money
I have a friend who will be going into his 1st year in September. He's applied for OSAP but just now did he get a summer job and hence didn't get the chance to indicate how much he will be earning for the summer on the application.

What should he do? He estimates that he'll be making around $7000. If he were to inform them would that reduce his OSAP by a large amount? What if he decided to buy a car for that amount as well and register it in his name, would that also reduce his loan as well?

Would highly appreciate any helpful advice. Thank you!
Old 07-10-2012 at 04:15 PM   #2
InsertName2

Liked: 1 Time

I think it would. My brother got grants when he applied for OSAP, and they counted toward his 'income', although he didn't physically have a job at the time. They still deducted it from his OSAP money.

Don't take my word for granted though
Old 07-10-2012 at 04:58 PM   #3
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimism View Post
I have a friend who will be going into his 1st year in September. He's applied for OSAP but just now did he get a summer job and hence didn't get the chance to indicate how much he will be earning for the summer on the application.

What should he do? He estimates that he'll be making around $7000. If he were to inform them would that reduce his OSAP by a large amount? What if he decided to buy a car for that amount as well and register it in his name, would that also reduce his loan as well?

He needs to fill out a change request form at the financial aid office so that they can update his income information on his osap application.

And yes, his income will likely reduce his osap and so would owning a car.
Old 07-10-2012 at 05:03 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimism View Post

You say "if he were to inform them" like it is an option. If he doesn't, and they find out, there will be pretty serious consequences. It explicitly states that you should inform your financial office of any changes to your financial situation, and that's a pretty significant change.

It might reduce his loan (the income and/or the vehicle, which is considered an asset), but he still has an extra $7000 that he can then use to pay for tuition, and that will reduce the debt he's in.

Malka says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 07-12-2012 at 06:39 PM   #5
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

7000? god damn for an 18 (assuming) year old thats good.Fulltime for 8 weeks that like 21/h

If he doesnt report it , OSAP may be nice and let it slide but for that amount probably not. They could issue an Overpayment and you wont get anymore osap until he pays it off( ie give all the money he didnt deserve back)
Old 07-12-2012 at 08:12 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Fill out a form when year starts @ OSAP office (gilmour hall)
Old 07-12-2012 at 11:29 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

If you don't report that income, he gonna get a hurt reeeeeall bad. Assets or extra things like cars modifies the funding you'll recieve -- usually they think it means you're better off than you actually are and it will reduce the funding you receive.
Old 07-13-2012 at 01:23 AM   #8
muons

Liked: 84 Times

How does OSAP know you own a car?
Old 07-13-2012 at 05:33 AM   #9
elaynag

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by muons View Post
How does OSAP know you own a car?
You have to state it on your OSAP application as an asset.
Old 07-13-2012 at 07:23 AM   #10
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

Yeah he could also call OSAP to see exactly what to do.

I remember when getting my OSAP money at the beginning of the school year (which was done in person but now they changed it to online), you had the opportunity to tell them if there had been any changes and to check the amount you put down in the first place. Cause I'm sure the people at OSAP know that some people may get unexpected jobs that they didn't plan for when they applied.
Old 07-13-2012 at 08:58 AM   #11
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

https://osap.gov.on.ca/prodconsum/gr...prd8887915.pdf