MacInsiders Logo

Others Like Mac ?

Old 08-13-2010 at 05:31 PM   #16
Brunette03

Liked: 1 Time

I applied to mac, uoft, waterloo, western and queens

I did hear western has pretty interesting biology labs

meikaelahmad says thanks to Brunette03 for this post.

meikaelahmad likes this.
Old 08-13-2010 at 05:33 PM   #17
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason036 View Post
I got accepted to UofT St George for Life Science and McMaster...I chose McMaster since I had a better vibe from the campus and school overall.
same here...except that I didn't get accepted by UofT but I didn't want to transfer after spending 6 months here. This place is much peaceful than downtown
Old 08-13-2010 at 06:06 PM   #18
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Doesn't Western also have a Health Sciences Program?
Yes they do, but it's definitely not like life sciences or even our health science program. It has more of a health promotion/health studies/kinesiology-like slant to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Haha, it kind of boggles my mind when people ask about other universities here. All of us pretty much attend Mac, so our knowledge of other universities isn't much greater than the OP.
Well I guess it couldn't hurt to ask about what we happen to know about other universities just to get other people's opinions. If they ask for example "which programs/schools are better", that's a different story.

Besides, I'm pretty sure we're the only uni right now to have a forum like this .

meikaelahmad likes this.
Old 08-13-2010 at 08:45 PM   #19
Skye

Liked: 3 Times

I got accepted to Queen's Science ! It's a really good program, and there's an option to do a specialization in cardiovascular science in upper years ( I believe). However kingston is not really my cup of tea.. Waterloo is pretty good as well.

Mac however is the best (in my biased opinion )
Old 08-14-2010 at 08:49 AM   #20
Jellybeanz

Liked: 23 Times

Most people tend to apply to U of T St. George Campus, Queen's, Waterloo, Western and Guelph (not all of those schools mind you, although some people do!), but it really depends on what you want to major in, whether you want to do a co-op, how much scholarship money you'll be offered and whether you can see yourself spending the next four years of your life there!

Quite a bit of people also tend to apply to Ottawa too, because of the scholarships they offer, but I'm sure that the program that they offer isn't bad either.

Also, a lot of people tend to get hung up on the title of the program without really looking into the actual courses you take in the program. This is especially true for all of the med hopefuls who limit themselves to programs named "biomedical sciences" or "health sciences", when really, programs at other schools named life sciences or even biology offer you most of the same courses in your upper-years. The first year in terms of courses you have to take will be very similar at most universities.

So, my suggestion to you is to check out the curriculum of each program, especially the courses they offer in upper-years. BUT, don't forget that things change, and you may not even end up pursuing the program you thought that you would in high school, so choosing a school with a variety of science programs could also be beneficial! And, lastly, try and visit the schools that you are interested in to get a feel for the campus and student life.