MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Commerce- Accounting 2nd year TSK1995 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-24-2013 05:46 PM
Any 4th year Commerce-Accounting majors out there? macxlife Academics 10 05-27-2013 11:10 AM

Overloading for accounting in 4th year

Old 05-28-2014 at 11:54 AM   #1
sarah2874

Liked: 13 Times

Overloading for accounting in 4th year
Hey everyone I'm heading into my fourth year of commerce this September, and since I'm specializing in accounting, I have to take six courses a semester instead of five. I'm now trying to figure out how to budget for this. I've checked Mac's website and it says that tuition and most fees are charged to a max of 30 units, but it also states that "additional fees may be assessed for overloading." It doesn't give any specifics on what those fees will be. Can anyone who has overloaded before (preferably in commerce, since fees change by faculty) tell me how much the extra fees are?
If it's the price of regular tuition, I may try to complete the courses at Athabasca over the summer, but that would cost close to $900 for the first course, and $800 for the second. That's basically the price of tuition at Mac anyways, and it would be convenient if I don't have to overload. At the same time, money is kind of tight so if it's cheaper to take it at Mac, I will.
Thanks for your help!
Old 05-28-2014 at 11:31 PM   #2
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I overloaded this past year, both semesters, and got charged the full amount for 36 units... and my OSAP went up a whole $99 to pay for it haha

sarah2874 says thanks to Kudos for this post.
Old 06-01-2014 at 03:01 PM   #3
sarah2874

Ouch, that's going to be one hefty tuition payment! Thanks for answering though
Old 06-01-2014 at 03:26 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

From my understanding, if you are overloading it will cost about the same either way. It costs different amounts per credit depending on what year of commerce you are in, but it may be slightly cheaper at Mac but personally, I would probably go the Athabasca route as I believe you have 6 months and you can do it at your own pace. On the other hand, Athabasca grades won't show up on your mac transcript so if you think you will do really well in those courses and want to get into grad school, I would do it at Mac

sarah2874 says thanks to Snowman for this post.
Old 06-01-2014 at 03:31 PM   #5
sarah2874

The main thing I'm worried about (other than finances, which do appear to be pretty even with both options) is whether I'll be able to handle taking 6 courses at once. I don't want my grades to suffer because I took one course too many, but I might not be able to start Athabasca until August 10, which won't really help much time-wise because it's so close to the start of school that I'll end up taking 6 courses at once anyways
Old 06-01-2014 at 03:34 PM   #6
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Unless you are a hard partier and you plan ahead for your tests (sometimes all classes have stuff do at the same time) then you will be fine. On the other hand, if you do summer then even if you start in Aug., classes don't pick up for a couple weeks and from my experience, Athabasca marks waaay easier. So that way you will have about a solid month to finish it.

If it ended up being cost neutral, I would be taking summer school right now so I may be slightly biased. On the other hand, you could take one course during the summer and try to set so the semester with 5 courses has the slightly harder ones?

sarah2874 says thanks to Snowman for this post.