MacInsiders Logo
Old 03-15-2010 at 08:49 PM   #1
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

The Pacific
I was wondering if anybody else had watched the HBO miniseries The Pacific and what they thought of it.
Being a Band of Brothers fan, I was very happy with they way this series turned out, the first episode was really tense. At least thats what I thought.
Discuss.

danallan says thanks to Deegs14 for this post.

camais, danallan like this.
Old 03-15-2010 at 08:53 PM   #2
burforbt

Liked: Liked 4 Times

It was decent. A little hard to get into at first because the characters are so new. But good historical accuracies that you would expect from the makers of Band Of Brothers. With out spoiling. they do a good job of portraying Japanese tactics during the island hopping of the Marines.
Old 03-15-2010 at 09:09 PM   #3
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

I watched it with a bunch of friends, and we all felt as though it hadn't been an hour when the credits rolled, the ep just flew by. I'm excited for next week!
Old 03-15-2010 at 10:11 PM   #4
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I am a Band of Brothers fan and I own the DVD and I was really excited the Pacific came out. Did you know that Tom Hanks brought his movie to the White House and watched it with Obama?

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/HBO-Th...0hbothepacific

I am not going to watch it and will wait until it comes out on DVD. I will buy it and watch it without waiting.
Old 03-15-2010 at 10:16 PM   #5
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

I am trying to stream the episode right now, but its being sooooooo slow
Old 03-15-2010 at 11:01 PM   #6
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

It was okay at best. Still early for the series though.
Old 03-16-2010 at 01:16 AM   #7
JeffB

Overall I liked it. I am pumped for the rest of the series. I have been waiting for this since they first released the trailers a year ago.
Its hard to keep track of who everybody is, but I had that same problem with Band of Brothers until a couple episodes in.
I think there is going to be more depth in this series because they are including more of the characters history and stuff like that. That was something that was lacking from Band of Brothers. Also the work they go to for accuracy is amazing, down to the oven mitt Robert Leckie used to carry his M1917.
Old 03-17-2010 at 10:49 PM   #8
camais

Liked: 30 Times

i liked the first episode :p was about to start the next right after until i realized it wasnt out yet...
Old 03-18-2010 at 12:27 AM   #9
cocchiarella

Liked: 24 Times

i enjoyed the first episode. by the end of band of brother, i loved the characters so itll take a bit for me to feel this way about the current characters. also i dont know very much about the war that was fought in the pacific, only that it happened. it will be a good history lesson.
Old 03-22-2010 at 03:09 AM   #10
JeffB

This weeks episode was an improvement over last I think. Much easier to follow, and starting to know the characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocchiarella View Post
also i dont know very much about the war that was fought in the pacific, only that it happened. it will be a good history lesson.
Thats the importance of these types of shows. There is a rift forming between our knowledge and understanding of events that happened back then, partially because we are slowly loosing that living connection and also because of apathy about it.
I don't think the public grasps the sacrifices that any soldier makes past or present. Obviously a show can never recreate the feeling of an actual war but I think it is important that they try in order to remind everyone what it takes and what is needed of a person while defending others.