MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling Dane Cook Ticket lawleypop General Discussion 13 11-07-2009 04:36 PM
MacInsiders Concert Ticket Giveaway Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-28-2008 01:28 AM
Ticket Giveaway Contest! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 10-08-2007 09:45 PM
Ticket Contest Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-20-2007 02:27 PM

Parking ticket! Please help!

Old 01-31-2011 at 11:58 PM   #1
jimimusic

Liked: 11 Times

Parking ticket! Please help!
Hey, so I need a little advise here. So I live in bates residence on campus, which is the one right by Cootes Drive beside Mary E. Keyes. I pretty much go home every weekend, so I leave my car parked at my friend's place off campus. Last friday, as usual, I get off class and went to my friend's house to pick up the car and drove it back on campus and parked there in the parking lot right beside bates(parking lot Q, which is literally right beside bates), so I could get my stuff from my room and bring it down to the car. I guess I took a little longer this time as I had to clean up some stuff, so I took around 10 - 20 minutes. But by the time I got down, I saw a parking ticket on my windshield. Now, my question is this: Did something similar ever happen to any of you guys? Do I have any grounds to fight it? If I don't pay it, what can they do about it? (on the ticket it says, if i don't pay within 10 days, the fine will go up by 25 bucks) But other than that, how can they enforce it? They don't have my student ID or anything; as in they wouldn't know that I(a student) am the owner of the car, so it's not like they can freeze my student account or whatever. But anyways, if any one have any experience with this, please let me know and give me some advices! Any kind of help would be much appreciated!!!
Old 02-01-2011
ch33syguy
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-01-2011
Mikob11
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-01-2011 at 12:12 AM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

When I was moving out in first year, my dad had parked our uhaul van right outside of Hedden... even though he had stayed inside the vehicle, one of the cops tried to give him a ticket for illegal parking.

Sorry to say, your fault. D:

Edit: I'm not sure what your student number has to do with anything... You do realize that these are real enforcers of the law with jurisdiction on campus, right? You don't need your student number in the real world to get a ticket...

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-01-2011 at 01:00 AM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

The tickets are not legally enforceable, but the school does have the right to have your car towed at your expense if you do not pay and the car is found on campus again.
Old 02-01-2011 at 06:26 AM   #4
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

I know this sounds bitchy, but what grounds could you possibly fight this on? Thinking you're self-governing and then realizing that there are other bodies who govern really shouldn't be a surprise.
Old 02-01-2011 at 06:29 AM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimimusic View Post
...They don't have my student ID or anything; as in they wouldn't know that I(a student) am the owner of the car, so it's not like they can freeze my student account or whatever...
Well if you're the owner of the car, your license plate shall reveal your identity, should it not?
Old 02-01-2011 at 07:11 AM   #6
Mlochab

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimimusic View Post
(on the ticket it says, if i don't pay within 10 days, the fine will go up by 25 bucks)!

so what is the parking ticket now?? if its going up to 25 it cant be so much just its a ridiculous fee ... just pay the ticket and learn from your mistake Id be glad that the ticket isnt 50+

soomroau says thanks to Mlochab for this post.
Old 02-01-2011 at 08:06 AM   #7
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Parking lot Q does in fact have a parking meter, so you are in the wrong here and don't have grounds to fight it. For future reference it's located on the roundabout thing on the side facing Keyes.

Just pay the ticket. You can even do it online: https://eparking.mcmaster.ca/

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 02-01-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-01-2011 at 10:31 AM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
The tickets are not legally enforceable, but the school does have the right to have your car towed at your expense if you do not pay and the car is found on campus again.
If the tickets are not legally enforceable, how can they have the right to tow your vehicle? If you're not allowed to park there, then you're not allowed to park there - and tickets should be enforceable... o_O

To me it's like you're saying "oh you're not actually breaking the law but go ahead and do it again lul and see what happens trollface.jpg"

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-01-2011 at 11:49 AM   #9
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
If the tickets are not legally enforceable, how can they have the right to tow your vehicle? If you're not allowed to park there, then you're not allowed to park there - and tickets should be enforceable... o_O

To me it's like you're saying "oh you're not actually breaking the law but go ahead and do it again lul and see what happens trollface.jpg"
Private property?
Old 02-01-2011 at 11:55 AM   #10
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

I think he's saying they can't force you to pay for the ticket, but can tow the same car if it's found on campus again.

Old 02-01-2011 at 12:15 PM   #11
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

I can't imagine how the ticket is not legally enforceable as it's kind of illegal to hand out your own parking tickets. I.E. the tickets are distributed by people who have the legal right to do so. Furthermore, the tickets are handed out by "parking and security services" so the parking services people work hand in hand with the special constables who most certainly do have the right to enforce the law.
Old 02-01-2011 at 01:11 PM   #12
ali999

Liked: 0 Times

you can try just pleading your case. But I would not just ignore this even if they don't know who you are. Failure to pay a ticket is an offense...just like failing to pay any other fine
Old 02-01-2011 at 01:29 PM   #13
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Lol. The ticket is NOT legally enforceable. It is private property and yes they do have the right to issue a "parking ticket", however the ticket is not legally enforceable or does not have to be paid. However, if your car is found on the property again, McMaster has every right to tow is at your expense. If the city or government owned McMaster, then yes it is legally enforceable, but they don't. It's private property which under the law, is completely different. However, if McMaster actually complains to the city of Hamilton and a legit parking officer or commissionaire gives you a ticket, that is legally enforceable ("parking prohibited - private property $35). But if you get one of those bogus ones that Mac gives you, you don't need to pay it. Just dont park on their property again or else risk being towed.

To Cheri, the point of a parking ticket is to make money. If cars were just towed at owners expense first, how would McMaster make any money? Plus, the person might have left before the tow truck could get there

lawleypop says thanks to MacAttk for this post.