MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
End of Year MacGreen Bonanza temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-30-2010 09:41 AM

PBL Bonanza

Old 12-09-2009 at 09:07 PM   #16
Keenu

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
The PBL is only worth 10% right? So you'll lose about 5% off your final mark. That really isn't too much if you're doing well on everything else.
Hey!
Well, our problem was biodiversity loss which is obviously a broad subject. We narrowed it down as follows:
biodiversity loss > biodiversity loss in oceans> loss because of waste> loss because of plastic waste> plastic waste from excessive use of water bottles

The reason we narrowed it down so much was because our TA told us to be dead specific.
-Our proposal is to give the population an incentive when they choose to use the green way.
-With proper funding from major companies and corporations, consumers will be receiving incentives for the products that they purchase and as a result these companies will benefit and make a profit with their sales.
-For example, the iTunes franchise could create a partnership with SIGG, an eco-friendly water bottle manufacturer, and create an iTunes water bottle, designed with a personal barcode on it.
-In the past few decades, technology has had incredible breakthroughs which would allow the barcodes on these water bottles to work along with a personal online account.
-For every water fountain that would be set up by the government, will come equipped with a scanner that will read the barcode on each user’s water bottle and transfer the code through a wireless database.

-The database will keep track of these points for the people who will fill their bottles.
-Referring back to our iTunes example, someone can buy an iTunes bottle from their website, with proceeds going to iTunes, and use their bottle at these water fountains, while collecting points in their accounts.The points earned can be used towards purchasing items, or songs from iTunes - benefiting the consumer and the company itself.

Marlowe likes this.
Old 12-09-2009 at 09:18 PM   #17
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

makes no sense.
Old 12-09-2009 at 09:23 PM   #18
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Its creative and deals with several flaws in the existing system. It might not be feasible for real world application (most of the PBL solutions aren't, I mean our groups main solution was to have the government nationalize agriculture and turn the whole system hydroponic) but it meets the criteria of the project very successfully.
Old 12-09-2009 at 09:49 PM   #19
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Yeah, I found part of the requirements stupid. If there were a creative, INEXPENSIVE and feasible way, it would have been done already, or at least discussed and not done because of some flaw.

I had (what I considered) to be a very creative solution, but it was expensive. Other solutions were inexpensive, but because they were inexpensive they were being relatively used already, and thus aren't considered very creative..
Old 12-09-2009 at 10:02 PM   #20
kamalprasher

Liked: 11 Times

You know what's creative, inexpensive and feasible? Replacing the PBL project or completely removing it (Or change the topics instead of same boring ones).

Richa likes this.
Old 12-09-2009 at 10:15 PM   #21
stressedspec
Account Locked

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Yeah, I found part of the requirements stupid. If there were a creative, INEXPENSIVE and feasible way, it would have been done already, or at least discussed and not done because of some flaw.

I had (what I considered) to be a very creative solution, but it was expensive. Other solutions were inexpensive, but because they were inexpensive they were being relatively used already, and thus aren't considered very creative..
if you dont mind me asking how did you do on the written part. I think creativity is important but feasibility should have leverage
Old 12-10-2009 at 03:44 AM   #22
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Take it up with your TA.
On a second note, your paper doesn't really look to be too complete and I can spot grammar mistakes everywhere, ie:
"The effects of logging also affect the effects of the mountain pine beetle." ???

You should have proofread it, or gotten somebody to proofread it :S.

Old 12-10-2009 at 03:49 AM   #23
stressedspec
Account Locked

Liked: 25 Times

an individual had volenteered to do, they obiously let me and the group members down but theres not much i can do now. Had i known they were going to perform such lackluster effort i wouldve done it my self, heck i wouldve wrote the whole thing myself. i guess i have learned a valuable yet costly lesson.
Old 12-10-2009 at 09:10 AM   #24
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedspec View Post
an individual had volenteered to do, they obiously let me and the group members down but theres not much i can do now. Had i known they were going to perform such lackluster effort i wouldve done it my self, heck i wouldve wrote the whole thing myself. i guess i have learned a valuable yet costly lesson.
LOL yah it was so costly
Old 12-13-2009 at 07:05 PM   #25
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

I don't know how I did, my TA hasn't even uploaded our marks yet...
Old 12-13-2009 at 07:08 PM   #26
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Why are you talking back to TAs? This isn't high school.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-13-2009 at 07:47 PM   #27
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Why were you talking back to high school teachers?
Old 12-13-2009 at 07:55 PM   #28
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Why are you talking back to TAs? This isn't high school.
Why not?

And the TA whispering something into a student's ear about someone else's presentation is not highschool?
Old 12-13-2009 at 08:02 PM   #29
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimH View Post
Why not?

And the TA whispering something into a student's ear about someone else's presentation is not highschool?
Actually, all he said was that the TA whispered something to a girl after his presentation. That doesn't mean it was about his presentation, or that it was a negative comment about his presentation.

And why not? maybe because TA's have 1) an impact on your mark and 2) answer to someone higher, so if you have a problem with them, take it up with the prof.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-13-2009 at 09:11 PM   #30
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Actually, all he said was that the TA whispered something to a girl after his presentation. That doesn't mean it was about his presentation, or that it was a negative comment about his presentation.

And why not? maybe because TA's have 1) an impact on your mark and 2) answer to someone higher, so if you have a problem with them, take it up with the prof.
Whether the TA was whispering about the presentation or not does not matter. The point is that whispering something to another student if you're a TA is really stupid (in my opinion)... I just don't understand why the TA can't address the student properly like all other students are addressed.

And whether they have an impact on your mark or not should not matter because if they make a mistake, I will talk back to them. If they can't be mature enough to take it and deal with it without taking it out on your marks then they really shouldn't have that higher state of power in the first place.