MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
THE BEST MCAT PREP COURSE? PRINCETON vs. PREP 101 snair General Discussion 16 04-08-2011 02:40 PM
Pcat SciMania Academics 4 04-05-2010 01:03 AM
Chemistry 1A03 - Final Exam Prep Courses? Neilius Academics 3 10-11-2008 09:28 AM

PCAT prep courses worth it?

Old 02-26-2014 at 10:50 PM   #1
sbajaj28

Liked: 2 Times

PCAT prep courses worth it?
For those of you that have written the PCAT (for pharmacy schools), did you also take any prep courses? If yes, did you find them helpful or just a waste of time/money? I'm planning on writing my PCAT this summer and haven't completely made up my mind about the prep courses. Also what are some of the best prep books/study guides to prepare for the test?
Old 02-27-2014 at 08:05 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbajaj28 View Post
For those of you that have written the PCAT (for pharmacy schools), did you also take any prep courses? If yes, did you find them helpful or just a waste of time/money? I'm planning on writing my PCAT this summer and haven't completely made up my mind about the prep courses. Also what are some of the best prep books/study guides to prepare for the test?
I did not take any courses and I aced the PCAT - it was surprisingly easy. The only section I had difficulty with was math, because there was stuff on imaginary numbers and that was taken out of the high school curriculum - somehow I never ended up learning it in university math either. There were also some other concepts I hadn't seen before or hadn't seen in ages and wasn't prepared for. None of the books I looked at covered the math section in a way that even hinted at the actual topics covered.
It was the only section I ran out of time for, because of trying to figure everything out from scratch, so it was also my lowest mark (75th percentile I think? Whereas I got 97-99 percentile on everything else, and 98 overall). They might have changed the content though, to reflect the changing curricula.

I used the Kaplan book and a few others whose names I can't remember. Kaplan was good for everything except math.