MacInsiders Logo
Old 01-22-2011 at 12:00 PM   #1
peanuts

Liked: 1 Time

PDF annotator?
I saw a dude in my bio class typing stuff directly onto some PDF lecture notes during class, but I forgot to ask him what program he was using! The logo was this red-white circle with a silver 'n' on it. Tried googling it, but couldn't find it.

Anyone have any programs to recommend? Preferably free. ):
Old 01-22-2011 at 12:02 PM   #2
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
I saw a dude in my bio class typing stuff directly onto some PDF lecture notes during class, but I forgot to ask him what program he was using! The logo was this red-white circle with a silver 'n' on it. Tried googling it, but couldn't find it.

Just google free pdf editor and you're bound to find one. I got one last semester for my stats course.
Old 01-22-2011 at 12:08 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

The only one I know if and use is Foxit. It's pretty good, but I haven't really compared it to anythign else because it's all I really need.
Old 01-22-2011 at 12:09 PM   #4
emtee10
Mac Lifer

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:

I use Nitro PDF, which has a logo similar to that.

http://download.cnet.com/Nitro-PDF-R...4-75205901.htm

peanuts, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to emtee10 for this post.
Old 01-22-2011 at 12:27 PM   #5
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
The only one I know if and use is Foxit. It's pretty good, but I haven't really compared it to anythign else because it's all I really need.
I have both Foxit and NitroPDF on my laptop. NitroPDF is a lot more user-friendly.

EDIT:

Protip, try using a PDF editor on your Chemistry .pdf files and play around with them. You might find a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by justinsftw : 01-22-2011 at 12:35 PM.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to justinsftw for this post.
Old 01-22-2011 at 01:42 PM   #6
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Nitro PDF ended up being my free editor if choice on my netbook after trying about half a dozen of them including foxit
Old 01-22-2011 at 03:24 PM   #7
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

OneNote is an amazing piece of software for notes and has the same symbol. If you just want a pdf reader that can do that go for PDF xchange viewer.

ShadowPlay says thanks to Juicebox for this post.

ikantsepll, ShadowPlay like this.
Old 01-22-2011 at 03:25 PM   #8
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Lol, just go on PSPiso and pirate Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro.

Last edited by Desda : 01-22-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2011 at 04:02 PM   #9
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

ive used both nitro and foxit... but foxit is my weapon of choice
Old 01-22-2011 at 04:12 PM   #10
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:

That might've been me.
Old 01-22-2011 at 06:01 PM   #11
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

UGHhh sorry but most of the recommendations in this thread are no where close to PDF X-Change Viewer (which Juicebox mentioned too). I've tried so many programs and this one is definitely the best! The free version can do just about everything (typing notes, drawing, arrows, shapes, highlighting text, crossing out text...etc in configurable size, colour and other properties). The only feature missing from the free version is the ability to insert/delete pages. I'll attach my lecture notes from Thursday (bio 2A03 - Physiology) as an example of how I use it.

I haven't had to print lecture notes in over a year now
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Lecture 9 - Circulation III.pdf (1.20 MB, 165 views)

justinsftw says thanks to ikantsepll for this post.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 01-22-2011 at 06:27 PM   #12
giftedchick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
UGHhh sorry but most of the recommendations in this thread are no where close to PDF X-Change Viewer (which Juicebox mentioned too). I've tried so many programs and this one is definitely the best! The free version can do just about everything (typing notes, drawing, arrows, shapes, highlighting text, crossing out text...etc in configurable size, colour and other properties). The only feature missing from the free version is the ability to insert/delete pages. I'll attach my lecture notes from Thursday (bio 2A03 - Physiology) as an example of how I use it.

I haven't had to print lecture notes in over a year now
think i might give that one a try... so i wont have to freehand arrows... and i see u were able to input the delta signs (im in that class too and foxit didnt have that option so i jus used lowercase 'd')
Old 01-22-2011 at 06:37 PM   #13
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
think i might give that one a try... so i wont have to freehand arrows... and i see u were able to input the delta signs (im in that class too and foxit didnt have that option so i jus used lowercase 'd')
The delta sign wasn't actually from the pdf program lol. I just keep a bunch of symbols on a sticky note on my desktop and copy paste them whenever I need to

Heres the list I have right now that you should keep handy:
Δ

π
α
β
δ
η
λ
μ
φ

EDIT: looks like pi and alpha aren't being displayed properly in this forum, just wiki greek alphabet
Old 01-22-2011 at 07:22 PM   #14
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

If you find a crack for Adobe Acrobat Pro you can easily do this editing you are talking about. Otherwise purchase a CS5 license for about 3K you do the math
Old 01-22-2011 at 08:12 PM   #15
giftedchick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
The delta sign wasn't actually from the pdf program lol. I just keep a bunch of symbols on a sticky note on my desktop and copy paste them whenever I need to

Heres the list I have right now that you should keep handy:
Δ

π
α
β
δ
η
λ
μ
φ

EDIT: looks like pi and alpha aren't being displayed properly in this forum, just wiki greek alphabet
oh... well thanks