Perfect GPA? Almost?

Old 08-18-2010 at 01:58 PM   #1
ShesTheMan

Liked: 0 Times

Perfect GPA? Almost?
I'm heading into life sciences this year and these are the courses I'm taking:
First term: Chem 1A03, Bio 1A03, Math 1A03, Psych 1X03, Phys 1L03
Second term: Chem 1AA3, Bio 1M03, Psych 1XX3, Phys 1B03, Econ 1B03

I've heard that phys 1B03 is really tough so with the exception of that course, how difficult is it maintaining a 12 in all the other courses mentioned?
Old 08-18-2010 at 02:01 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesTheMan View Post

I've heard that phys 1B03 is really tough so with the exception of that course, how difficult is it maintaining a 12 in all the other courses mentioned?
You can definitively do it. Chem might be a bit challenging to get a 12 in but it's not impossible. It's actually very possible if you put a lot of time into the courses.

Physics 1B03 wasn't very hard, I found it to be a lot of review from high school.
Old 08-18-2010 at 02:03 PM   #3
gOOCHTOPHER

Liked: 11 Times

its never been done, infact its impossible, i wouldnt even try
Old 08-18-2010 at 02:08 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gOOCHTOPHER View Post
its never been done, infact its impossible, i wouldnt even try
I know for sure a first year science made the provost list like 2-3 years ago.
Old 08-18-2010 at 02:11 PM   #5
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:

It's not hard, really. It's easy to 12 a course without understanding the material at all, particularly for first-year...

It depends on how you look at the course: do you just want to get it over with and get a 12 (if so, you might want to switch into courses you're actually interested in), or do you actually want to get something out of the course (chances are you'll get a good grade anyway)?

Last edited by Mahratta : 08-18-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2010 at 02:12 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
It's not hard, really. I don't know if that's the mentality you really want to approach courses with, though - it's easy to 12 a course without understanding the material at all, particularly for first-year...
Examples of that are Math 1A03 and Math 1AA3. For Math 1A03 is was towards the end where I was like, wtf is going on. Math 1AA3 was the entire course, I had no idea what was going on for that entire course. All I knew where the equations and how to use them XD
Old 08-18-2010 at 02:17 PM   #7
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Examples of that are Math 1A03 and Math 1AA3. For Math 1A03 is was towards the end where I was like, wtf is going on. Math 1AA3 was the entire course, I had no idea what was going on for that entire course. All I knew where the equations and how to use them XD
LOL. I knew EXACTLY how you feel. TBH, I remember absolutely SQUAT about math 1AA3 and I just took it last semester haha.
Old 08-18-2010 at 02:19 PM   #8
gOOCHTOPHER

Liked: 11 Times

from my experiences, univiteristy was so straight forward compared to high school
in physics 1 and 2 and math 1 and 2 they give you every formula you need, nothing more and nothing less, so you can pretty much figure everything out if ur not dumb

one of the math 1aa3 midterms had a taylor seires question worth half the test, and all u had to do was plug numbers into a formula that was already given
just go to class and put ur biggest effort of all ur studying into the time u spend in class depending on the course
Old 08-18-2010 at 02:22 PM   #9
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

So far, it seems that they kind of "hide" the complexities of the material we learn in math and physics (this is for first-year only, I don't know about upper-years) - I mean, they cover enough to leave oppurtunities for students to learn the material in-depth on their own time, but they also cover the material (and write assessments) in such a manner that it allows students to do a lot of practice problems and do well without understanding fundamental ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I felt kind of the opposite way in 1AA3, haha. I understood all the ideas in the sense that they were presented (and thought they were kind of boring), but then when I looked into them in-depth, I found it a lot more interesting.
Now, physics 1B03 was the opposite - first, they made us work with partial differentiation without telling us (a) that we were working with partial differentiation, and (b) the meaning of what we were doing, and then threw in ordinary (SHM) and partial differential equations in with the waves unit! Maybe it's a bit fanciful to expect a mathematical justification for the mathematical tools in physics (math students dream, haha), but I at least expected a physical justification...they didn't go into why we use partial derivatives to calculate uncertainties - we just knew that we had to use partial derivatives to calculate uncertainties.

Last edited by Mahratta : 08-18-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-18-2010 at 02:57 PM   #10
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Where did you hear that
If 1B03 is hard then 1BB3 must be death and I'm taking both of them
Old 08-18-2010 at 03:00 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
Where did you hear that
If 1B03 is hard then 1BB3 must be death and I'm taking both of them
1BB3 is not that much harder than 1B03, they cover different material so it's not 1BB3 is a step up but the material isn't as much review from high school as 1B03.
Old 08-18-2010 at 04:22 PM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Everyone always seems to ask if it's possible to get a certain grade in whatever course. It's always possible to get a 12, if you have enough time and put in enough effort. It's not usually the courses themselves that are the problem, it's the combination of courses and how much time you put into each one. Like people have said, it's not particularly difficult to 12 a course without understanding all of the material. If you spend a lot of time and study effectively (particularly when things require memorization instead of understanding), you'll do fine.

While it's possible to get a 12 in each course, you probably won't get a 12 in all of your courses. It's not impossible, but really, unless you have a photographic memory or absolutely no life, you're probably not going to have enough time to give to each and every course to get a 12 in them all.
Old 08-18-2010 at 04:28 PM   #13
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Having no life is fun. I strongly advocate for it. You get this nice sickly looking appearance, you have to take more meds than normal to protect your fragile immune system, you say "Huh? What's that?" at everything from the newest slang to movies that were released 6 months ago and when test day comes, you're so stressed out that you watch your hand shake for 10 minutes.

Good times.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

ikantsepll, Lois, macsci, Moo!io, _Luu_ like this.
Old 08-18-2010 at 04:31 PM   #14
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

No offense, but you have no chance. I'd be surprised if you managed a 10 average. I have a feeling you're going to be severely disappointed by the end of your first year.

Old 08-18-2010 at 04:34 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Everyone always seems to ask if it's possible to get a certain grade in whatever course. It's always possible to get a 12, if you have enough time and put in enough effort. It's not usually the courses themselves that are the problem, it's the combination of courses and how much time you put into each one. Like people have said, it's not particularly difficult to 12 a course without understanding all of the material. If you spend a lot of time and study effectively (particularly when things require memorization instead of understanding), you'll do fine.

While it's possible to get a 12 in each course, you probably won't get a 12 in all of your courses. It's not impossible, but really, unless you have a photographic memory or absolutely no life, you're probably not going to have enough time to give to each and every course to get a 12 in them all.
Or if you come from certain countries. A lot of countries still have the equivalent of "grade 13". I know my cousin came to Ryerson for engineering and although she didn't get credits for a lot of her courses, she actually already knew the information for like 70-80% of her courses. Pretty crazy XD