MacInsiders Logo

Perfect GPA? Almost?

Old 08-18-2010 at 04:45 PM   #16
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

It's possible to get twelves in all of your courses , depending on how strong your background is. By this I don't mean "I got a 99% in my high school courses" ... if you have a solid foundation it will be less work do get a perfect GPA, but it still requires a lot of effort and sacrifices.

You have to ask yourself whether having no social life and a ton of stress is really worth it for the provost honours list. There's the DL hooker scholarship and university senate scholarships for getting high marks, but it doesn't require a perfect GPA.

I would wait until your first set of midterms come around before you try to set such lofty goals.

Old 08-18-2010 at 05:46 PM   #17
ShesTheMan

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
No offense, but you have no chance. I'd be surprised if you managed a 10 average. I have a feeling you're going to be severely disappointed by the end of your first year.
Mhm... If I were you, I wouldn't be so quick to judge. Anyways, I wasn't saying that I'd be shattered if I wasn't able to attain a perfect GPA, I was just wanted to find out how likely it is for someone to do so.

If you don't mind me asking, what program are you in?
Old 08-18-2010 at 05:53 PM   #18
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesTheMan View Post
Mhm... If I were you, I wouldn't be so quick to judge. Anyways, I wasn't saying that I'd be shattered if I wasn't able to attain a perfect GPA, I was just wanted to find out how likely it is for someone to do so.

If you don't mind me asking, what program are you in?
He's actually not being rude, i found first year digusting. No matter how hard i tried i always seemed to do bad on things. I was an A student in highschool, I thought I would OWNNN chem, I thought econ wuld be easy cuz every1 told me it was ...boy did i find out the hard way way. good luck

jdia, Moo!io like this.
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:00 PM   #19
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
I don't see why you'd put much emphasis on a perfect GPA in the first place. Yeah, you're paying for a degree, but you may as well care about understanding the material so you get more out of your 4 years than just a degree and some good marks...

Old 08-18-2010 at 06:03 PM   #20
ShesTheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
He's actually not being rude, i found first year digusting. No matter how hard i tried i always seemed to do bad on things. I was an A student in highschool, I thought I would OWNNN chem, I thought econ wuld be easy cuz every1 told me it was ...boy did i find out the hard way way. good luck
I understand that and I've heard that first year is designed to be tougher since universities need to 'weed' out students but that doesn't mean everyone has to have the same experience right?
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:06 PM   #21
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
I understand that and I've heard that first year is designed to be tougher since universities need to 'weed' out students but that doesn't mean everyone has to have the same experience right?
but we're saying as a majority u dont get the marks u expected... its nothing like highschool and i think that u just have to experience it to understand it ...make u sure u have backup plans... i know i needed them
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:08 PM   #22
ShesTheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I don't see why you'd put much emphasis on a perfect GPA in the first place. Yeah, you're paying for a degree, but you may as well care about understanding the material so you get more out of your 4 years than just a degree and some good marks...
Achieving a perfect GPA isn't really my objective, I just wanted to hear from others if it is likely for students to do so in the courses that I'm taking. I do care about gaining knowledge more than anything and there is correlation between knowledge and performance.

Last edited by ShesTheMan : 08-18-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:11 PM   #23
ShesTheMan

Quote:
but we're saying as a majority u dont get the marks u expected... its nothing like highschool and i think that u just have to experience it to understand it ...make u sure u have backup plans... i know i needed them
I understand that, it'll be quite a transition and I may not get the marks that I'm hoping for but one should always aim for the top and just work hard
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:14 PM   #24
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Achieving a perfect GPA isn't really my objective, I just wanted to hear from others if it is likely for students to do so in the courses that I'm taking.
Is it likely? Nope, it's not likely at all. It's not likely to get a 12 in one course, let alone every course!

Is it possible? Yes. Very very slight chance. It's possible to get a 12 in one course, and I'd say if you're very dedicated, it's do-able to get a 12 in one course. However, as aforementioned, to come even close to getting a 12 in every course, you'd have to give up on having a life.

Personally, I think that at the end of university, certain things are a lot more important than grades. Relationships formed will take you a lot farther than getting a 12 in every course. Knowledge gained will take you farther than grades.

It's super important to realize this before you waste your time having a sub-par university experience due to focusing on things that are really of minimal consequence in the long run.
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:30 PM   #25
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
I understand that, it'll be quite a transition and I may not get the marks that I'm hoping for but one should always aim for the top and just work hard
That is true, and one certainly can get better grades in first year uni than in highschool. According to Maclean's 2.5% of students fall under this category.

I took most of the courses you're taking this year and the material isn't too difficult. Balance is key. Making friends also help because they remind you about due dates and whatnot (thank god for my roommate).

ShesTheMan likes this.
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:31 PM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyshi View Post
That is true, and one certainly can get better grades in first year uni than in highschool. According to Maclean's 2.5% of students fall under this category.

I took most of the courses you're taking this year and the material isn't too difficult. Balance is key. Making friends also help because they remind you about due dates and whatnot (thank god for my roommate).
They can also help you study and learn the material if that's the way you learn (through group work).
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:44 PM   #27
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

I feel really stupid in this thread. My 4 in Chem 1A03 made me happy, lol
Old 08-18-2010 at 06:46 PM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. My 5 in English made me content XD I definitively upped that with an 8 in my last English course though, made me pretty ecstatic Like jumping up and down with my arms in the air ecstatic XD
Old 08-18-2010 at 09:06 PM   #29
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post

omg me too!!!! i was sooo happy i passed (i got a 5 in chem 1a03 n a 4 in chem 1aa3) but like so many ppl failed and i know that wasnt good but it made me happy on the inside
Old 08-18-2010 at 09:21 PM   #30
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
If youve taken gr 12 economics, econ 1B03/1BB3 is supposed to be a breeze actually Did you take the course with no background in the subject?