MacInsiders Logo

Perfect GPA? Almost?

Old 08-19-2010 at 11:24 AM   #46
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19 View Post
To easen up your load, and possibly attain a 12.0 Avg first year, swap Psych 1X03 out first semester for psychbiology (HTH SCI 1G03).
Also swap Psych 1XX3 (HTH SCI 1G03 ANTI-REQUISITE) for an easier elective say, Astronomy (ASTRO 1F03) in first term.
Move your math to second term, and swap it out for MATH 1LS3.

It'll be easier if you are aiming for a 12 this way.
she should be cautious doing that, esp if she wants to go into psych, i believe psych 1x03 and 1xx3 could be requisites for other classes (but i'm not entirely sure).
Old 08-19-2010 at 11:56 AM   #47
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
she should be cautious doing that, esp if she wants to go into psych, i believe psych 1x03 and 1xx3 could be requisites for other classes (but i'm not entirely sure).
yea and also psychobio is not a guaranteed 12 mark. there's several essays you have to write which i dont think is required in psych 1x03. maybe 10-11 is very doable but 12 is a huge gap.

Last edited by paperplanes : 08-19-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2010 at 12:40 PM   #48
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperplanes View Post
yea and also psychobio is not a guaranteed 12 mark. there's several essays you have to write which i dont think is required in psych 1x03. maybe 10-11 is very doable but 12 is a huge gap.
the TA told me that the average was around an 88. as long as you put in the effort your guaranteed a high mark, and def not a 10.
Old 08-19-2010 at 12:53 PM   #49
FrankMiljour

Liked: 4 Times

Frank Believes
I have yet to get one 12..
You guys make me sad.
Old 08-20-2010 at 05:39 PM   #50
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
the TA told me that the average was around an 88. as long as you put in the effort your guaranteed a high mark, and def not a 10.
88! where can i sign up?
Old 08-20-2010 at 06:35 PM   #51
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
A 10 is a high mark.

And my marks went up from high school to university.
I hear a lot about how first year is super general, so easy, etc, but I graduated a semester early and had 8 months of no academic work, so I was happy with anything.
I found university to be a lot more challenging and I did lag behind on a lot of my courses, but I found that it helped me work my best and I redefined my best this year, so I'm pretty happy with how first year turned out.

The only place a high school mindset screwed me was with Math 1A03, which, like with any Math I've had in my life, required more work than I put in, especially given my difficulty with the concepts.
I didn't ask for help, I waited till the last minute and I didn't work on understanding how the concepts worked and I got a higher grade than I deserved.

That being said, a midterm where I worked minimally and did none of the practice exams in Chemistry was one of my best. I did spend time working on the concepts and linking the material and found that to be more productive than hours on notes, but that was just for that material.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-20-2010 at 07:06 PM   #52
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiljour View Post
I have yet to get one 12..
You guys make me sad.
You're not the only one. The highest mark I have ever gotten in Engineering was B+

Yep, I admit, I have never gotten an A.

Those who are in the same boat must have been relieved they are not the only one.
Old 08-21-2010 at 01:40 AM   #53
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
You're not the only one. The highest mark I have ever gotten in Engineering was B+

Yep, I admit, I have never gotten an A.

Those who are in the same boat must have been relieved they are not the only one.
havent got higher than a B :'(
Old 08-21-2010 at 02:03 AM   #54
cellphone

Liked: 5 Times

Honestly my first year marks were horrible marks. I did basically no work and thought I was studying when I was really pretending to study. I scraped through with C's and D's in the majority of my science courses. I did a lot better in my 2nd year. I just realized what I needed to do to get the marks I needed and started becoming more serious about school.

I got really sick of science keener kids who only cared about marks. I mean everyone wants to do well and get rewarded for their efforts but if all you talk about is getting 100% on everything, you are not very fun to hang out with. And honestly, just because we are in the science program, does not mean that we are "better" than the social sciences/humanities. SO MANY ppl had this idea in my classes and it was quite offending to hear, even though I was part of science.

Bottom line, have a legitimate reason to be motivated ( getting marks for grad school, med, etc) and plan your future. Study as MUCH as YOU need to. (don't get distracted by other studying less). Have a life. (or you will prob be depressed with no friends) Have a good attitude. (don't think your all that and the smartest cookie in the box, cause your probably not, you can always learn from others)

My 2 cents.

MCHEDDENITE likes this.
Old 08-21-2010 at 02:19 AM   #55
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
hahahha 88 class average, very serious class lol.
Old 08-21-2010 at 06:55 AM   #56
CAHopeful
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Here, just read this book.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Become-Str...91654& sr=8-1

After reading it, my average went up 10%, in HS.

AmyLia says thanks to CAHopeful for this post.
Old 08-21-2010 at 08:34 AM   #57
Elivs.L

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesTheMan View Post
I'm heading into life sciences this year and these are the courses I'm taking:
First term: Chem 1A03, Bio 1A03, Math 1A03, Psych 1X03, Phys 1L03
Second term: Chem 1AA3, Bio 1M03, Psych 1XX3, Phys 1B03, Econ 1B03

I've heard that phys 1B03 is really tough so with the exception of that course, how difficult is it maintaining a 12 in all the other courses mentioned?
wow we have pretty much the same courses, but instead of economy, i have another bio course, and i have math 1LS3 n LT3
are u in life science? i can use a study bud
p.s im aiming for a perfect gpa too =P
Old 08-21-2010 at 09:04 AM   #58
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
Where did you hear that
If 1B03 is hard then 1BB3 must be death and I'm taking both of them
To be honest I found 1BB3 a lot easier than 1B03. Firstly cuz the material is more interesting with a bit of quantum physics added in but also because of profs. If you have a better prof you'll tend to do better. A little luck element there, but don't worry. You'll do fine if you put your heart into it!

Cheers

Old 08-21-2010 at 10:06 AM   #59
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaya View Post
To be honest I found 1BB3 a lot easier than 1B03. Firstly cuz the material is more interesting with a bit of quantum physics added in but also because of profs. If you have a better prof you'll tend to do better. A little luck element there, but don't worry. You'll do fine if you put your heart into it!

Cheers
oh finally ur in honours bio!!! do you know wut ur gonna do after u graduate