MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another vent on Mac's administration drew4008 Academics 44 08-25-2010 07:05 PM
Solar Registration Dates goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 19 06-14-2010 11:06 AM
University VP Administration Departs From McMaster Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-16-2009 11:50 AM

Petition for Administration Performance Improvance During Registration Dates

Old 08-12-2008 at 11:35 PM   #16
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

There are already established methods and routes you can take that will get your opinion to the people in charge! Here's what to do....

(this was discussed in another forum so I'm reposting here)

Temara Brown: ..the MSU has a policy about the registration system already.. You might find it interesting to give it a good read:
http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/cbp/2006_...tem_Policy.pd f

Pay particular attention to the recommendations.. lol a lot of them are still very relevant

We are looking into this policy in the SRA Operations committee.. George Farjou (SRA Hth Sci) is taking it on as his personal project.

DannyV: So what influence does an MSU policy have on how things are run by the administration?

Andrew Richardson: GREAT question Danny!

MSU policy influences the university administration in a few ways. The most direct influence comes through the Board of Directors of the MSU, who are bound by our policies to lobby on behalf of the students in accordance to the goals laid out by our policies. The BoD meet regularly with university administration where they lay out our policies and positions and let them know how the students feel. We use things like private one on one meetings, presidential advisory committee meetings and administrative consultation meetings to press our policies.

Administrative Consultation (Admin-Con) meetings are where every administrator on campus gathers together to discuss issues of policy and administration that affect the students and the university and our lovely Board of Directors always go to the Admin-Con meetings. We use these venues to make our policies clear and to lobby and press for things the students want (as outlined in policy, bylaws, referenda etc).

Some students might be surprised that the university does listen to the MSU quite closely and they do take us, and the students at large quite seriously, and if we make it clear that certain policies and initiatives are priorities they tend to listen to us

Once again, fab question.

Also, what Temara said was true, we (the Operations Committee) are reviewing the Registration System Policy under the leadership of Mr. Farjou and all input is welcome. When we have our meeting about that policy in more specific terms I will post a notice in this thread so all interested parties can attend the meeting and provide us with input

...So, speak to your SRA and MSU president. We're elected to represent you guys and will voice opinions through the msu - your students union. Macinsiders is a great place to find out what we're doing too. I'm sure an article is in the works about this.

....lol annndddd I'm sure we all share your pain with this.. I'm still trying to get into three courses I need to graduate. Not only are they full but I can never log on to see if anyone dropped it. lame.
Old 08-12-2008 at 11:52 PM   #17
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
There are already established methods and routes you can take that will get your opinion to the people in charge! Here's what to do....

(this was discussed in another forum so I'm reposting here)

Temara Brown: ..the MSU has a policy about the registration system already.. You might find it interesting to give it a good read:
http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/cbp/2006_...tem_Policy.pd f

Pay particular attention to the recommendations.. lol a lot of them are still very relevant

We are looking into this policy in the SRA Operations committee.. George Farjou (SRA Hth Sci) is taking it on as his personal project.

DannyV: So what influence does an MSU policy have on how things are run by the administration?

Andrew Richardson: GREAT question Danny!

MSU policy influences the university administration in a few ways. The most direct influence comes through the Board of Directors of the MSU, who are bound by our policies to lobby on behalf of the students in accordance to the goals laid out by our policies. The BoD meet regularly with university administration where they lay out our policies and positions and let them know how the students feel. We use things like private one on one meetings, presidential advisory committee meetings and administrative consultation meetings to press our policies.

Administrative Consultation (Admin-Con) meetings are where every administrator on campus gathers together to discuss issues of policy and administration that affect the students and the university and our lovely Board of Directors always go to the Admin-Con meetings. We use these venues to make our policies clear and to lobby and press for things the students want (as outlined in policy, bylaws, referenda etc).

Some students might be surprised that the university does listen to the MSU quite closely and they do take us, and the students at large quite seriously, and if we make it clear that certain policies and initiatives are priorities they tend to listen to us

Once again, fab question.

Also, what Temara said was true, we (the Operations Committee) are reviewing the Registration System Policy under the leadership of Mr. Farjou and all input is welcome. When we have our meeting about that policy in more specific terms I will post a notice in this thread so all interested parties can attend the meeting and provide us with input

...So, speak to your SRA and MSU president. We're elected to represent you guys and will voice opinions through the msu - your students union. Macinsiders is a great place to find out what we're doing too. I'm sure an article is in the works about this.

....lol annndddd I'm sure we all share your pain with this.. I'm still trying to get into three courses I need to graduate. Not only are they full but I can never log on to see if anyone dropped it. lame.

Thanks, great post.
Old 08-13-2008 at 07:27 AM   #18
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

George Farjou, what have you gotten yourself into?