MacInsiders Logo

What is Phi Delta Theta?

Old 09-03-2011 at 10:41 AM   #1
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

What is Phi Delta Theta?
Wht is it?

What sort of activities do members involve them selves in?

Axel likes this.
Old 09-03-2011 at 11:18 AM   #2
MikeMcGinn

Liked: 5 Times

It's a frat. It says it stands for "friendship, sound learning, and moral rectitude" but according to my friend, who used to be involved with the group, it's just a drinking club that pretends to have greater meaning. He said that they wore weird KKK style costumes and did "rituals" but that accounts for like 1/3 of the experience. They do good stuff as well, like volunteering, but it claims to do more than it actually does. Basically, it's overrated.

Axel likes this.
Old 09-03-2011 at 11:42 AM   #3
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

its a frat group with connections to other uni-frats. Its older than most chess clubs on campus, and its just another community to join. Just expect a lot of what you think of when your hear "frat party"
Old 09-03-2011 at 04:11 PM   #4
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

is it worth joining?

Is there any cost of joining?
Old 09-03-2011 at 05:27 PM   #5
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMINDS View Post
its a frat group with connections to other uni-frats. Its older than most chess clubs on campus, and its just another community to join. Just expect a lot of what you think of when your hear "frat party"
As far as I know, there is only one chess club on campus
Old 09-03-2011 at 05:47 PM   #6
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
is it worth joining?

one guy told me you have to pay for the alcohol up front, ~$1000 is what he said, if you're a cheap ******* like me, that's totally unreasonable (i dont drink THAT much)
Old 09-03-2011 at 08:27 PM   #7
mradulsahani

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Wht is it?

What sort of activities do members involve them selves in?
Hi jon.john23,

My name is Mradul Sahani and i am a member of the Phi Delta Theta Fraternity.

Phi Delta Theta, like many other fraternities throughout the states and Canada offer a vast variety of experiences and are a great way to get engaged in your community.

Our organization is an international organization that has existed for 163 years and has over 150 chapters throughout the Sates and Canada. The chapter at McMaster was started in the early 90s and has cultivated great leaders in the last 2 decades.

Our 3 cardinal principles are "Friendship, Sound learning and Moral rectitude." They offer a true image of what Phi Delta Theta is about.

As a little aside, what got me hooked onto Phi Delta Theta was the aspect of life long brotherhood. You are a "Brothers for life." Most, if not all clubs or teams you join at McMaster have a lot to offer, but for me, i was looking for something more. With Phi Delta Theta you are a part of the community long after you graduate. We have an alumni get togethers and a golf tournament held each year where brothers of all ages and background get together to celebrate. Not only that, but it also offers great networking opportunities. That is what got me hook.

If you are interested feel free to contact me at [email protected] m and i can get in touch with you personally.

Cheers

Mradul Sahani
Jr Rush Chair, Phi Delta Theta

Last edited by mradulsahani : 09-03-2011 at 08:31 PM.

siefer1322 likes this.
Old 09-03-2011 at 08:46 PM   #8
mradulsahani

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcGinn View Post
It's a frat. It says it stands for "friendship, sound learning, and moral rectitude" but according to my friend, who used to be involved with the group, it's just a drinking club that pretends to have greater meaning. He said that they wore weird KKK style costumes and did "rituals" but that accounts for like 1/3 of the experience. They do good stuff as well, like volunteering, but it claims to do more than it actually does. Basically, it's overrated.
Hi MikeMcGinn,

I am very impressed at how much you know about the fraternity. I would however like to point out some discrepancies.

Firstly, i would like to talk about our cardinal principles in detail, as you mentioned, our three cardinal principles are friendship, sound learning, and we do hold ourselves to these standards. To clarify, sound learning is a focus we have on academics, not only in school, but also with helping each individual develop personally in to the greatest version of themselves. Personally being a Phi has pushed me to become more involved in this school and socially involved and informed. Moral rectitude developed as one of our founding principals because the founders of the fraternity were very religiously involved. now days with a greater diversity in beliefs moral rectitude manifests itself closer to kindness and philanthropy. As an organization we volunteer with some of the biggest organizations in Hamilton, including the Canadian National Autism Fund, Hamilton Food Share, Habitat for Humanity among others.

Also, i would like to point out we are in no way associated with the KKK. let me make it clear that we do not share any of their beliefs and condone them fully.

With respect to drinking, Our chapter has had alcohol-free housing for 10 years now. It was actually a very interesting change that was brought up. Many argued that it would be the demise of the fraternity on an international level because drinking is a big part of university and college life in general. But despite all of that, the fraternity has experienced growth and has prospered where many have not.

With respect to ritual, I know it to be an extremely unique and amazing experience. Coming from a 163 year old tradition, from a time of hardship and a time where one brother might have to fight opposite side another, this rituals and secrets where formed to protect one another. This great deal of brotherhood and dedication towards one another is where the rituals and secrets spawn from, and I am proud to be part of such an ancient culture. Imagine this, you visit a chapter house in texas, those who share the exact same secrets and rituals, down to every miniscule detail, and knowing that they will welcome you with open arms(in fact that is true for any one of the over 150 chapters). That is what brotherhood is about.

Furthermore, you mention that we are a "Frat". This is something we do not associate ourselves with because it holds alot of the negative connotations associated with things that some frats have done in the past such as hazing, sexism , and binge drinking to name a few of the many things that the term "frat" is associated with.

You are welcome to check out are chapter page on phideltatheta.org and see our community involvement and what it is we do specifically.

Thanks for you interest, and if you are interested in rushing, feel free to email me at [email protected] m and i will get back to you personally

Cheers,

Mradul Sahani
Jr. Rush Chair, Phi Delta Theta

Last edited by mradulsahani : 09-03-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2011 at 08:49 PM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mradulsahani View Post
Hi MikeMcGinn,

I am very impressed at how much you know about the fraternity. I would however like to point out some discrepancies.

With respect to drinking, Our chapter has had alcohol-free housing for 10 years now. It was actually a very interesting change that was brought up. Many argued that it would be the demise of the fraternity on an international level because drinking is a big part of university and college life in general. But despite all of that, the fraternity has experienced growth and has prospered where many have not.

With respect to ritual, I know it to be an extremely unique and amazing experience. Coming from a 163 year old tradition, from a time of hardship and a time where one brother might have to fight opposite side another, this rituals and secrets where formed to protect one another. This great deal of brotherhood and dedication towards one another is where the rituals and secrets spawn from, and I am proud to be part of such an ancient culture. Imagine this, you visit a chapter house in texas, those who share the exact same secrets and rituals, down to every miniscule detail, and knowing that they will welcome you with open arms(in fact that is true for any one of the over 150 chapters). That is what brotherhood is about.

And finally, you are welcome to check out are chapter page on phideltatheta.org and see our community involvement and what it is we do specifically.

Thanks for you interest, and if you are interested in rushing, feel free to email me at [email protected] m and i will get back to you personally

Cheers,

Mradul Sahani
Alcohol free housing? What?
I don't even live there and I've done drugs in that house.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-03-2011 at 08:55 PM   #10
mradulsahani

Quote:
is it worth joining?

Hi jon.john23,

In my experience, it is definitely worth joining. But ultimately, you will only get out of it, what you put in.

Again, if you are still interested in rushing, we can talk further about the cost breakdowns and specifics. feel free to email me any time.

Cheers,

Mradul Sahani
Old 09-03-2011 at 08:55 PM   #11
hierlihyster

Liked: 0 Times

fraternities are a great way of getting involved. it works for some people and it doesn't for others.

Last edited by hierlihyster : 09-03-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2011 at 08:58 PM   #12
mradulsahani

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMINDS View Post
Hi InsideMINDS,

It is true that we hold a lot of connection with other universities throughout the States and Canada, thought i feel like the reputation movies and tv shows give towards Phi Delta Theta are very skewed and there really is a lot more to it.

Cheers,

Mradul Sahani
Old 09-03-2011 at 09:00 PM   #13
mradulsahani

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
one guy told me you have to pay for the alcohol up front, ~$1000 is what he said, if you're a cheap ******* like me, that's totally unreasonable (i dont drink THAT much)

Hi tyrant,

The dues we ask our members to pay are no where near "~$1000", and that being said NONE of the money that goes towards member dues is used to buy alcohol. I'm glad we got that cleared

Cheers,

Mradul Sahani
Old 09-03-2011 at 09:04 PM   #14
mradulsahani

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Alcohol free housing? What?
I don't even live there and I've done drugs in that house.
Hi lawleypop,

I am surprised at your statement because from as far back as i can remember, Phi Delta Theta at McMaster has not had a chapter house(at least not for the last 5 years). With Hamilton By-laws and greater technicalities we are aiming to get a chapter house established as soon as possible and it would be something i recommend everyone in the McMaster community look out for. Until that day.

Cheers,

Mradul Sahani
Old 09-03-2011 at 10:04 PM   #15
MikeMcGinn

Liked: 5 Times

Oliver said it best, it's for some people and not others.

If you like paying $500+ to join a club that does the exact same things as several other clubs on campus, you should join a frat. There are over 200 MSU clubs and almost all of them offer volunteer opportunities. As far as the social aspect goes, you can go to house parties, nigh clubs, and rez parties without being a member of a frat. On average, MSU clubs charge a membership fee of $5-20 a year. Frats can range anywhere from $250 to $1,500 a year. Like I said before, if you got money to blow, go ahead. Most people don't.

Don't get me wrong, frats do good things. Phi Delta Theta does good things. It's just that it's overrated.

Here's an excellent link that gives the unbiased facts about Phi Delta Theta with regards to its history of racism.

Here's another link that shows how fraternities, at least in their earliest origins, were racist and concerned themselves with maintaining white privilege.

Axel likes this.