What is Phi Delta Theta?

Old 09-03-2011 at 10:08 PM   #16
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mradulsahani View Post
Hi lawleypop,

I am surprised at your statement because from as far back as i can remember, Phi Delta Theta at McMaster has not had a chapter house(at least not for the last 5 years). With Hamilton By-laws and greater technicalities we are aiming to get a chapter house established as soon as possible and it would be something i recommend everyone in the McMaster community look out for. Until that day.

Cheers,

Mradul Sahani
Jr. Rush Chair, Phi Delta Theta
So which is it? You HAVE provided alcohol-free housing for 10 years or haven't you? Now you're saying there's no house at all, lol.

Alls I'm saying is that there's a certain house on Sterling that's known as "the jew house" and is often associated with this fraternity. And it's gross as hell (at least it was) and there was plenty of alcohol and drugs.

Just saying, you seem to care so much about this organization and its image...so that's the image. "Official" or not.

If you wanna party and meet new people and "network" and "experience brotherhood," there's shit tons easier ways to go about it. And it doesn't require 5 paragraph long posts and mission statements and Greek words.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 09-03-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Old 09-03-2011 at 10:39 PM   #17
mradulsahani

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
So which is it? You HAVE provided alcohol-free housing for 10 years or haven't you? Now you're saying there's no house at all, lol.

Alls I'm saying is that there's a certain house on Sterling that's known as "the jew house" and is often associated with this fraternity. And it's gross as hell (at least it was) and there was plenty of alcohol and drugs.

Just saying, you seem to care so much about this organization and its image...so that's the image. "Official" or not.

If you wanna party and meet new people and "network" and "experience brotherhood," there's shit tons easier ways to go about it. And it doesn't require 5 paragraph long posts and mission statements and Greek words.
Phi DeltaTheta is an international organization with over 150 chapters. Alcohol-free housing rules apply to all chapters. Mcmaster's chapter of Phi Delta Theta does not have a chapter house.

I would like to make this clear, Mcmaster has multiple fraternities and sororities, none of which are affiliated to each other other then the structure of the organizations. Each one has different things to offer, I am speaking on behalf of Phi Delta Theta. We are not the jewish fraternity and nor can I speak on behalf of them.

And I am glad you brought up the image we are trying to project. I hope by being aware of and responding to misconceptions about our organization in a timely manner, it projects an image that says "we care" and I am also glad that we can freely discuss such matters and clear the air to help improve our image. We strive to become the greatest version of ourselves.

Cheers,

Mradul Sahani
Old 09-03-2011 at 10:53 PM   #18
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

I think you're thinking of Alpha Epsilon Pi.
Old 09-03-2011 at 11:51 PM   #19
mradulsahani

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcGinn View Post
Oliver said it best, it's for some people and not others.

If you like paying $500+ to join a club that does the exact same things as several other clubs on campus, you should join a frat. There are over 200 MSU clubs and almost all of them offer volunteer opportunities. As far as the social aspect goes, you can go to house parties, nigh clubs, and rez parties without being a member of a frat. On average, MSU clubs charge a membership fee of $5-20 a year. Frats can range anywhere from $250 to $1,500 a year. Like I said before, if you got money to blow, go ahead. Most people don't.

Don't get me wrong, frats do good things. Phi Delta Theta does good things. It's just that it's overrated.

Here's an excellent link that gives the unbiased facts about Phi Delta Theta with regards to its history of racism.

Here's another link that shows how fraternities, at least in their earliest origins, were racist and concerned themselves with maintaining white privilege.
I am glad we have found some common grounds.

With respect to dues, it has never been and never will be about the money. We ensure there are and always will be financial support programs within the fraternity. If money is the only element stopping someone from wanting to rush, we encourage them to talk to us!

With an organization as old and full of history as Phi Delta Theta, it stands strong. It has seen many changes over the years. The articles on racism are a perfect example of how far Phi Delta Theta and other similar organizations have come. In the end, the facts are pretty straight forward. With the likes of Benjaman Harrison, 3 austronauts including Neil Armstrong.... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phi_Delta_Theta . You get the point. It is an amazing organization full of devoted members.

Cheers

Mradul Sahani

Last edited by mradulsahani : 09-04-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-04-2011 at 12:37 AM   #20
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Hi tyrant,

The dues we ask our members to pay are no where near "~$1000", and that being said NONE of the money that goes towards member dues is used to buy alcohol. I'm glad we got that cleared

Cheers,

Mradul Sahani
so if it's not around 1000, then what is it?

tyrant says thanks to Eternal Fire for this post.
Old 09-04-2011 at 04:48 AM   #21
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinkess31 View Post
I think you're thinking of Alpha Epsilon Pi.
Maybe. I'm not familiar with the frats on campus and they all sound the same to me Point is, that place was a dive. I loved it. But let's hope it's not any organization's chapter house.

I mean, it really is a nice look if you enjoy spending time with crackheads.

Edit: And I think it is AEPi. Just checked FB and I have an event invitation from them, so yea... xD whoops.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 09-04-2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old 09-04-2011 at 09:48 AM   #22
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Just curious, what are the Greek words behind Phi Delta Theta? I'm assuming that that's an acronym.
Old 09-04-2011 at 10:10 AM   #23
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
I would like to make this clear, Mcmaster has multiple fraternities and sororities, none of which are affiliated to each other other then the structure of the organizations. Each one has different things to offer, I am speaking on behalf of Phi Delta Theta. We are not the jewish fraternity and nor can I speak on behalf of them.

For those interested, there are only 2 fraternities and 1 sorority on campus...There's Phi Delta Theta, AEPi, and Sigma Theta Pi (the sorority).
Old 09-04-2011 at 11:07 AM   #24
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

You're effectively paying $1000 for friends (and I'd imagine not very cool ones).

AmyLia likes this.
Old 09-04-2011 at 12:37 PM   #25
MikeMcGinn

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerSocker View Post
You're effectively paying $1000 for friends (and I'd imagine not very cool ones).
"As with any organization, members have a monetary obligation through the payment of dues both to the international organization and to the local Chapter.

All fraternities have a similar dues structure, but the costs do vary. Phi Delta Theta is proud to be one of top ten largest fraternal organizations with a dues structure that is extremely competitive.

Phikeia induction dues (paid upon induction): $65
Initiation dues (paid upon initiation): $235
Annual membership dues (paid three times in college for a traditional member): $110

Please also note that the local dues structure can vary based on each chapter’s internal operations and unique programming."

Source: Phi Delta Theta's Website

Yeah, it does seem like all you're doing is paying for friends. Good point!

Axel says thanks to MikeMcGinn for this post.

Axel, traveler10, tyrant like this.
Old 09-04-2011 at 12:50 PM   #26
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcGinn View Post
"As with any organization, members have a monetary obligation through the payment of dues both to the international organization and to the local Chapter.

All fraternities have a similar dues structure, but the costs do vary. Phi Delta Theta is proud to be one of top ten largest fraternal organizations with a dues structure that is extremely competitive.

Phikeia induction dues (paid upon induction): $65
Initiation dues (paid upon initiation): $235
Annual membership dues (paid three times in college for a traditional member): $110

Please also note that the local dues structure can vary based on each chapter’s internal operations and unique programming."

Source: Phi Delta Theta's Website

Yeah, it does seem like all you're doing is paying for friends. Good point!
Don't forget about this:

Liability insurance (paid each year): $95

Axel says thanks to MacAttk for this post.

Axel, traveler10 like this.
Old 09-04-2011 at 01:43 PM   #27
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

This is such a waste of money, they don't do anything that special.

Last edited by Eternal Fire : 09-04-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2011 at 04:39 PM   #28
Axel

nice thread. i always wondered about these frats; what they were, what they did. Don't think i'll join one now.

lol, but i wonder where that Alpha Vegeta Thigh representative went.

Its been a while since he replied. He had been replying quite quickly a while back.

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 09-04-2011 at 07:29 PM   #29
DutchRudder

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
nice thread. i always wondered about these frats; what they were, what they did. Don't think i'll join one now.

lol, but i wonder where that Alpha Vegeta Thigh representative went.

Its been a while since he replied. He had been replying quite quickly a while back.
Obviously he was able to spot a lost cause.
Old 09-04-2011 at 11:22 PM   #30
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

what MSU clubs can i join? Since Phi Delta Theta is way over what i can afford.

What sort of clubs to ppl normally join, besides cultural clubs?

Btw, thanx to everyone for all the input!!!