MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Philosophy 1B03 AND Philosophy 1D03 Annieloveedw Academics 5 01-10-2012 04:20 PM
Philosophy 1B03 estherk Academics 0 10-13-2011 10:24 PM
Philosophy 1B03 kokosas 1st Year Course Reviews 20 07-16-2011 01:22 AM

Philosophy 1B03

Old 12-27-2013 at 09:40 PM   #1
polina_a

Liked: 1 Time

Philosophy 1B03
Hi everyone,

I've seen a couple of reviews regarding this course, but nothing new has been posted in the past couple of years. I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with it, especially if they've taken it with Dr.Waluchow?

Thank you!
Old 12-27-2013 at 10:30 PM   #2
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

I took it last year with Rodde, so it may be a bit different. We basically looked at issues like polygamy, bestiality, animal rights, obligations to future generations, and torture. It was pretty interesting and not too difficult if you're good with essay writing. Grade was made up of 2 essays, tutorial participation, and final exam. For his essays, he wanted us to state both viewpoints, argue for both positions, and then further argue for why your position is better. The essays were actually pretty fun to write, especially if you choose a topic you're passionate about/are interested in defending.

With that said, I also know a lot of people in my class who hated this course. I guess it ultimately depends on what interests you and what doesn't.

I have heard great things about Waluchow, though, if that helps.

Last edited by SweetyTweety : 12-28-2013 at 04:14 AM.

polina_a says thanks to SweetyTweety for this post.
Old 12-28-2013 at 02:37 AM   #3
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

took it with rodde. hated this course. it was boring as hell.

won't recommend this course to anyone as an elective unless they legitimately have interest in the topic. def not a bird course.

polina_a says thanks to icecubz for this post.
Old 12-28-2013 at 11:49 AM   #4
polina_a

Liked: 1 Time

Oh boy...two rather different opinions on this course guess I'm going to have to check out some other electives!
I just have one more question: how difficult were the essays and the essay topics (especially for a science student)?

Thanks for your help!!
Old 12-28-2013 at 12:08 PM   #5
Goran

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubz View Post
took it with rodde. hated this course. it was boring as hell.

won't recommend this course to anyone as an elective unless they legitimately have interest in the topic.
Pretty much this. It's not a particularly hard course but unless you REALLYYY like philosophy and essay writing you should probably find something else. The readings are tedious and mind numbingly boring-lots of stupid imaginary scenarios where random philosophy profs/writers talk about some enviro-philosophy theory that has zero real world application. I have zero patience for that kinda pure theoretical bullshit so this class was pretty frustrating for me.

That said, it's not hard to get by without wasting your time on the readings, just read the 2-3 that are applicable to whatever essay topic you choose and it should be enough to get a decent grade if you're a good writer. I managed to bullshit both essays and ended up with a 10 in the course overall. You'll need to be a good writer, the essays are not going to be very easy otherwise.

The thing that pissed me off when I took it is how there was zero law based content, it was 100% environmental philosophy which I absolutely hated. I don't know how much of that has changed now though.
Rodde is an ok prof, no real complaints. Go to lecture because he didn't post his notes but he does a good job of summarizing the articles so you don't have to read them. When I took it Rodde taught half the course and the second half was taught by Adam somethingorother, who was super boring and long winded. Hated him.