MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCIENCE / med physics 4xx3 HUMAN BIO:PHYSICAL SCIENTISTS knight_ryder Academics 0 07-16-2010 07:22 PM

Physical Science I Help!

Old 07-07-2010 at 11:04 AM   #16
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayee View Post
so bio is hard or easy?

for most programs 2 bio are needed
I wouldn't characterize first year bio as difficult, at all--especially 1M03. Other people might say differently, but I didn't find them hard, just boring

Yes, for most programs both bios are needed, so don't worry about whether other people think it's hard or not. If you want to do a program that requires 1M03/1A03, then take them! Don't let that be the thing stopping you from going into a program you really want to do.
Old 08-28-2010 at 01:49 AM   #17
knguyens2

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudathto View Post
Just a warning, physical science is a challenging program (probably harder than first year engineering). A majority of my friends who were in that program have now either failed our or swapped out, so be careful next year and try not to pick up too many challenging courses (Bio 1M03/1A03)
i forgot about this thread i posted, and now that i'm on it, it's freaking me out. Bio is hard!!!!! physics is my worst subject, but now bio. I feel that I'm going to fail everything.
Old 08-28-2010 at 05:08 PM   #18
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
I took both physics classes for people in physical sciences (1B03/1BA3) and it really wasn't that bad.. Engineering physics definitely did more complicated stuff at the very end (my roommate was an engineer).
Well, that's not necessarily true. Engineers do more technical, applied stuff (of course) in their second physics than physics students, yes, but this isn't necessarily "more complicated". The problems may have more numbers and take a longer time to do though, if that's what you mean. 1BA3 puts some emphasis on quantum mechanics as well, which the engineers do not - they go into a lot more depth with electricity and magnetism (which physics majors do 2nd year in correspondingly more depth than the first-year engineers, haha).

Old 08-28-2010 at 07:59 PM   #19
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by knguyens2 View Post
i forgot about this thread i posted, and now that i'm on it, it's freaking me out. Bio is hard!!!!! physics is my worst subject, but now bio. I feel that I'm going to fail everything.
First year bio is mostly high school stuff with a few extensions, and a huge group project...It's really nothing to worry that much about.
Old 08-28-2010 at 09:45 PM   #20
Mahratta
Elite Member

Advice to any first-years taking bio 1M03: don't bother with PBL, just take a 50. I mean, the course is easy enough to make up that 5% elsewhere without the headache

Old 08-28-2010 at 10:08 PM   #21
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Advice to any first-years taking bio 1M03: don't bother with PBL, just take a 50. I mean, the course is easy enough to make up that 5% elsewhere without the headache
The saddest thing of LIFE was when my group FINALLY finished our report, went to go hand it in, and realized it was like 2% of our overall grade. We worked so damn hard on it, we wanted it to be worth more! haha...I think we all felt like it was worth a lot, so we put a correspondingly large amount of work into it (meeting for several hours each week for the entire term--more when it was the month it was due--doing lots of work on our own as well, a couple of really late nights together working on it). We didn't really realize how little it was worth until the day we handed in the report

Every mark counts, though...for bio 1M03, I forgot about the first prelab quiz, thus missing out on 0.9% of my grade. The whole term, I decided it didn't really matter, since 0.9% is practically nothing anyways. At the end of the course, I was 0.7% away from the next grade level up.

Mahratta likes this.
Old 08-28-2010 at 10:24 PM   #22
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Every mark counts, though...for bio 1M03, I forgot about the first prelab quiz, thus missing out on 0.9% of my grade. The whole term, I decided it didn't really matter, since 0.9% is practically nothing anyways. At the end of the course, I was 0.7% away from the next grade level up.
Man, that's terrible. That happened to me in chem 1A03 where tutorial iClickers left me some 0.6% away from the next level...I wish they didn't release the exam marks, so I'd never have known haha