MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teaching Assistant Excellence Award Nomination Mowicz MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-02-2010 11:57 PM
Physician Assistant Info Night this Tues., Nov 24! Annie MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-19-2009 08:42 PM
Interview tips for research assistant sinthusized Academics 11 09-15-2009 12:19 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Physician Assistant Program? sanahsameen Academics 4 12-25-2008 11:22 AM

physician's assistant program

Old 09-21-2009 at 03:18 PM   #1
Rain

Liked: 0 Times

physician's assistant program
...trying to find out as much info as possible about this program. What is the ideal candidate for acceptance? What have students (and soon to be grads) been saying about the program? Do you have to have a health care background to be considered or is any undergraduate work acceptable? If I want to be considered for this program what should I do now to put myself in the best position? For example, would I be in a better position if I studied nursing first or is that unnecessary?
Old 09-21-2009 at 04:06 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
...trying to find out as much info as possible about this program. What is the ideal candidate for acceptance? What have students (and soon to be grads) been saying about the program? Do you have to have a health care background to be considered or is any undergraduate work acceptable? If I want to be considered for this program what should I do now to put myself in the best position? For example, would I be in a better position if I studied nursing first or is that unnecessary?

I'm not mistaken this program isn't very old, two or three years tops. It's also a small one.

Sooo you may not be able to poll students to get a lot of info.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-21-2009 at 05:14 PM   #3
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

It states that "Courses that employ small group, self-directed or inquiry learning are excellent preparation for the PA program." That is one of the hallmark's of Mac's nursing program, in addition to others, so in that respect you might be better preparing yourself?
Old 09-21-2009 at 06:31 PM   #4
JasonMcGuirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
You do not need a health care background. Students are admitted from all faculties. You are required to have completed 20 half year courses (60 units or 2 years of undergrad) in any program with a minimum average of B+ (Average might change).

This September marks the second year of the PA program at McMaster (so 2010 will see the program's first graduating class). I believe there is approximately 20-25 students admitted from a pool of roughly 250 students (Numbers will vary). From these 250 students approximately 50 will be selected for an interview based on their transcript and supplementary application.

The program entails 2 full years of study with students going to school straight through the summer. The first year is all classroom based (Problem based learning style). The second year involves shadowing doctors in hospital in various disciplines (eg. chemistry, psychology, surgical procedures).

The best prep for this program would be to take courses based around problem based learning (I think inquiry classes may be a good idea). Obviously having a general science background would help, but it is not a requirement.

The main goal of this program is to help eliminate stress on doctors in the ER. PA will be responsible to diagnose and treat minor injuries/illnesses and aid doctors in minor surgery etc. I believe any prescription given to a patient by a PA must be verified by a MD.

As well as working in the ER, PAs will have the chance to pursue teaching opportunities, work in administration and work in private practice with a registered MD.

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/physicianassistant/

The above information may not be 100% accurate as it was off the top of my head, but I hope it helps.

Good luck if your planning on applying.

Sean
Old 09-21-2009 at 07:29 PM   #5
Rain

Thanks A Ton!
I really appreciate all the info. It is very thorough and truly helpful. I have read through all of the info on Mac's site but your reply clarifies a great deal! Now I just have to figure out where I might find 'inquiry courses'! Thanks again and if anything else comes to you, feel free to let me know.
Old 09-21-2009 at 09:51 PM   #6
JasonMcGuirk

No problem!

Check out this link for information about inquiry classes at mac:

http://www.mcmaster.ca/cll/inquiry/i...ines/index.htm

I don't know what faculty you are from but you can choose an inquiry class based on your field of study. Click on your faculty on the sidebar.

If the PA program is something you want to do you should definitely take an inquiry class or two. It's structure is very similar to the PA program's Problem Based Learning.

As for more information about the program - the only thing I can think of right now is the tuition cost per year.

This September I believe tuition was around $9300 dollar and $2500 for medical supplies. (I think starting salary for a PA in ER is approximately $80000 a year so the increased tuition relative to undergraduate programs is not too bad especially if u compare it to grad school tuition).

Also, you will have to provide your own transportation to your hospital placement (Some of the placements are at McMaster Hospital).

One more thing, after you graduate from the PA program you will have to write a licensing exam before you can practice as a PA in Ontario.

Hope that helps,

Sean

Last edited by JasonMcGuirk : 09-21-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2009 at 10:35 PM   #7
Rain

Thanks so much again! I will definitely check out that link. Currently, I am not a student at Mac but obviously, I'd like to be one in the near future! I'm trying to get myself set up with all of the background experience and knowledge preferred for this program.
...much appreciated.