MacInsiders Logo

physics 1b03 or math 1ls3

Old 12-23-2010 at 09:37 AM   #1
luna

Liked: 10 Times

physics 1b03 or math 1ls3
my goal is medicine and i know you generally need 1year bio, chem (inorganic, organic), physics, english, and also courses in social science and humanities. I have bio, chem, but for physics, i took physics 1l03 since i didn't have it in grade 12 (im currently in first yr). which means i need physics 1b03 after this to fulfill the 1 year physics requirement. i also didn't take english this year because i was afraid of too mch workload in first year from like essays stuff, etc. i was planning to take englisha 1c03 (i think) and physics 1b03 during the summer but tthen i found out that taking required courses for most med schools during summer scchool may not be a good idea so i switched my plan to taking either physics 1b03 or english during my second term. for either of these i need to drop my math 1ls3 course. my question is that should i drop math for any of these becuase i dont know if having a math related to science will be good in the future or even for medicine and if so for which one cause i know that physics 1b03 needs to be completed by end of level II. Also, is it really true that it's not a good idea to have required courses for med school during summer ( i read a thread on this earlier).
Sorry that it's a lot to read but I needed opinion from other students who may have thought the same or something similar. also any other suggestions will be appreciated as well. Thank you so much.
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:04 AM   #2
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times

Well, in order to take Physics 1B03, you need either Math 1LS3 or 1A03 (or others), so dropping Math 1LS3 to take Physics 1B03 would be pointless.
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:05 AM   #3
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Don't you need a year of physics with labs? Does 1L03 have a lab component? If not, you'll need 1B03 and then follow that up with 1BB3/1BA3.

For math - it's usually not required per se, but I would suggest taking at least a year of math by the end of level II, just because.

They're all level I courses, so it's up to you I suppose whether you want to drop 1LS3 and take an English or a Physics versus keeping it. Whatever you don't take you can either take in SS or second year.
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:07 AM   #4
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Taking physics 1B03/1BB3 would be pointless without taking (at least) math 1A03/1LS3 (preferably 1A), and most preferably both 1A03/1AA3. That way, you'll actually know what you're doing when they throw integration, differential equations, partial differentiation, etc. at you instead of just following a procedure. I think it adds to a physics course if you're able to say "what am I trying to do?" from a physics-perspective and then tailor your mathematics to that.

As for med school and mathematics - in the U.S., a semester of calculus is usually required, and a semester of statistics may be recommended (depends on the school), but there's no calculus or linear algebra on the MCAT, as far as I know. As Alchemist said, med schools usually require a year of physics with lab.

Last edited by Mahratta : 12-23-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:27 AM   #5
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
my goal is medicine and i know you generally need 1year bio, chem (inorganic, organic), physics, english, and also courses in social science and humanities. I have bio, chem, but for physics, i took physics 1l03 since i didn't have it in grade 12 (im currently in first yr). which means i need physics 1b03 after this to fulfill the 1 year physics requirement. i also didn't take english this year because i was afraid of too mch workload in first year from like essays stuff, etc. i was planning to take englisha 1c03 (i think) and physics 1b03 during the summer but tthen i found out that taking required courses for most med schools during summer scchool may not be a good idea so i switched my plan to taking either physics 1b03 or english during my second term. for either of these i need to drop my math 1ls3 course. my question is that should i drop math for any of these becuase i dont know if having a math related to science will be good in the future or even for medicine and if so for which one cause i know that physics 1b03 needs to be completed by end of level II. Also, is it really true that it's not a good idea to have required courses for med school during summer ( i read a thread on this earlier).
Sorry that it's a lot to read but I needed opinion from other students who may have thought the same or something similar. also any other suggestions will be appreciated as well. Thank you so much.
Looks like you should have... jesus christ wall of text...

Alchemist11, macsci like this.
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:33 AM   #6
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Hmm, if you go here:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1890.html

it says the prereqs for 1B03 are:

Prerequisite(s): One of Grade 12 Physics U, PHYSICS 1L03, 1P03; and one of Grade 12 Calculus and Vectors U, MATH 1F03; and credit or registration in one of ARTS&SCI 1D06, MATH 1A03, 1LS3, 1X03, 1Z04; and SCIENCE 1A00

So it looks like you have to be registered in Math 1LS3 or 1A03. So you should probably take 1LS3 or 1A03.

Last edited by macsci : 12-23-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:50 AM   #7
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

I WANT 2 BE DER DOCTOR 2 HURRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrr

Alchemist11, macsci, Mahratta like this.
Old 12-23-2010 at 11:07 AM   #8
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

For what it's worth, apparently 1LS3 is a crappy course because it's so easy and therefore just a waste of time.

I would suggest just taking 1A03 and then taking 1AA3 so you can actually learn math.

EDIT: Yo Kendoon how did you end up doing in cell bio? lmao
Old 12-23-2010 at 11:08 AM   #9
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

I would also recommend 1A03.
Old 12-23-2010 at 11:09 AM   #10
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
For what it's worth, apparently 1LS3 is a crappy course because it's so easy and therefore just a waste of time.

I would suggest just taking 1A03 and then taking 1AA3 so you can actually learn math.
Yeah, I took ls3 and aa3

1ls3 is alright, it's not TREMENDOUSLY easy (even though I got an 11)

but 1a03/1aa3 do feel more like "math", I can't describe it

Old 12-23-2010 at 11:10 AM   #11
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post

EDIT: Yo Kendoon how did you end up doing in cell bio? lmao
8 :/

From 10 -> 8, stupid crammage

fact I had like 2 days to study was very HULK SMASH

NBD BRO I FLY ON THE WINGS OF ANGELS, ALL IS GOOD

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 12-23-2010 at 11:55 AM   #12
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

I'm somewhat skeptical of the "1LS3 is a bad course" bit. I mean, from the course outlines, it seems like a good course, since it serves its purpose - it introduces the concepts of integral & differential calculus in a manner applied to the life sciences. Conceptually, you don't really need the same level of abstraction in mathematics applied to biology as you do for mathematics in physics, so there'd be no need to teach epsilon-delta.
In fact, I think they focus more in ODEs in the 1LS/1LT series than the 1A/1AA series (due to the fact that most bio majors won't be taking 2nd year differential equations, but all physics majors have to & that ODEs are actually important for biological systems), and use those to introduce integration in 1LS.

So, I wouldn't pass it off as a "bad course" - an easy course, perhaps, since it flows better than 1A (which is basically a toned-down version of 1X, so you get some roughness at the parts of 1X that they cut out)

Old 12-23-2010 at 12:07 PM   #13
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I'm somewhat skeptical of the "1LS3 is a bad course" bit. I mean, from the course outlines, it seems like a good course, since it serves its purpose - it introduces the concepts of integral & differential calculus in a manner applied to the life sciences. Conceptually, you don't really need the same level of abstraction in mathematics applied to biology as you do for mathematics in physics, so there'd be no need to teach epsilon-delta.
In fact, I think they focus more in ODEs in the 1LS/1LT series than the 1A/1AA series (due to the fact that most bio majors won't be taking 2nd year differential equations, but all physics majors have to & that ODEs are actually important for biological systems), and use those to introduce integration in 1LS.

So, I wouldn't pass it off as a "bad course" - an easy course, perhaps, since it flows better than 1A (which is basically a toned-down version of 1X, so you get some roughness at the parts of 1X that they cut out)
Lovric is a badass, and he is a really good teacher. That is reason enough to take a course, imo.

Old 12-23-2010 at 01:13 PM   #14
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

i agree 1ls3 isn't a terrible course, but i think it would be much more useful if we hadn't spent the first month on stuff you should have known in grade 10. it felt like the new stuff(compared to high school) was really rushed and not covered well enough. as for the OP's question, you should take all the required courses, but you don't need to take them all in your first year. also, ontario med schools don't care if you take required courses in summer school, but you'd have to check with individual american/other provinces schools if you want to apply there.
Old 12-23-2010 at 02:18 PM   #15
luna

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Taking physics 1B03/1BB3 would be pointless without taking (at least) math 1A03/1LS3 (preferably 1A), and most preferably both 1A03/1AA3. That way, you'll actually know what you're doing when they throw integration, differential equations, partial differentiation, etc. at you instead of just following a procedure. I think it adds to a physics course if you're able to say "what am I trying to do?" from a physics-perspective and then tailor your mathematics to that.

As for med school and mathematics - in the U.S., a semester of calculus is usually required, and a semester of statistics may be recommended (depends on the school), but there's no calculus or linear algebra on the MCAT, as far as I know. As Alchemist said, med schools usually require a year of physics with lab.

would this one semester of math include math 1a03 or 1ls3? because 1a03 is more like math but 1ls3 is more biologically related to medicine.