MacInsiders Logo

Physics 1B03 vs 1L03, Math 1A03 vs 1LS3 + 1AA3

Old 07-01-2011 at 10:45 PM   #1
justlily

Liked: 5 Times

Physics 1B03 vs 1L03, Math 1A03 vs 1LS3 + 1AA3
Hello!

I'm a first year in Life Sci, and just had a few questions about the courses mentioned in the title.
I'd like to be a doctor when I grow so of course, I'll be expecting to take the MCAT at some point in my life.

Just wondering, which physics course would be more beneficial?
Physics 1B03 or 1L03? I'd also like to know what 1B03 teaches you, for anyone who's already taken it?
Not liking the sound of Mechanics and Waves, feel like I'd enjoy Living Systems more, but I also don't want 1L03 to be too much of a repeat of Grade 12 Physics.

As for the Math, would you recommend Math 1A03 or 1LS3? I feel like 1A03 teaches more things, so I'm swaying towards that one.
Would also appreciate opinions from people who have already taken either or both of these courses!
And also, considering what field I'd like to see myself in in the future, would you recommend I take any other math courses? Math 1AA3, 1B03, 1LT3?

Thank you very much! : )
Old 07-01-2011 at 10:56 PM   #2
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlily View Post
Hello!

I'm a first year in Life Sci, and just had a few questions about the courses mentioned in the title.
I'd like to be a doctor when I grow so of course, I'll be expecting to take the MCAT at some point in my life.

Just wondering, which physics course would be more beneficial?
Physics 1B03 or 1L03? I'd also like to know what 1B03 teaches you, for anyone who's already taken it?
Not liking the sound of Mechanics and Waves, feel like I'd enjoy Living Systems more, but I also don't want 1L03 to be too much of a repeat of Grade 12 Physics.

As for the Math, would you recommend Math 1A03 or 1LS3? I feel like 1A03 teaches more things, so I'm swaying towards that one.
Would also appreciate opinions from people who have already taken either or both of these courses!
And also, considering what field I'd like to see myself in in the future, would you recommend I take any other math courses? Math 1AA3, 1B03, 1LT3?

Thank you very much! : )
First of all, check out the course reviews for each of these courses as they will provide many more opinions than you will get from this thread. Here's a link: CLICK ME!

Also, there is no math on the MCAT so whether you take 1A03/1LS3 doesn't really matter, they both teach you calculus with 1A03 being more difficult.

There is a Physical Sciences section on the MCAT which will require knowledge from both 1B03 and 1BB3/1BA3 (as far as I know, have not written it myself yet). However, all the concepts you actually need for the test will be covered when you study by the prep books/courses you use. The courses themselves will go into much greater detail than you will require for the MCAT.

1L03 is a repeat of Grade 12 as far as I know and many of the concepts are repeated in 1B03. If you want to apply to certain med schools in the states, you will need a full year of Physics WITH lab so you will need to take 1B03 as well as 1BB3 or 1BA3 because 1L03 has no labs.

And I doubt any university math course will be necessary if and when you become a doctor so don't worry about that. Just take courses you enjoy at this point and you'll be able to meet most prereqs for medical school.

Also, you're new to the site so definitely explore. There are many different threads on the topics you've mentioned in your post and they will be far more helpful than I ever will be.

Last edited by UlteriorMtve : 07-01-2011 at 10:59 PM.

justlily says thanks to UlteriorMtve for this post.

justlily likes this.
Old 07-01-2011 at 11:16 PM   #3
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorMtve View Post
First of all, check out the course reviews for each of these courses as they will provide many more opinions than you will get from this thread. Here's a link: CLICK ME!

Also, there is no math on the MCAT so whether you take 1A03/1LS3 doesn't really matter, they both teach you calculus with 1A03 being more difficult.

There is a Physical Sciences section on the MCAT which will require knowledge from both 1B03 and 1BB3/1BA3 (as far as I know, have not written it myself yet). However, all the concepts you actually need for the test will be covered when you study by the prep books/courses you use. The courses themselves will go into much greater detail than you will require for the MCAT.

1L03 is a repeat of Grade 12 as far as I know and many of the concepts are repeated in 1B03. If you want to apply to certain med schools in the states, you will need a full year of Physics WITH lab so you will need to take 1B03 as well as 1BB3 or 1BA3 because 1L03 has no labs.

And I doubt any university math course will be necessary if and when you become a doctor so don't worry about that. Just take courses you enjoy at this point and you'll be able to meet most prereqs for medical school.

Also, you're new to the site so definitely explore. There are many different threads on the topics you've mentioned in your post and they will be far more helpful than I ever will be.
When you learn it in class it's actually quite helpful compared to learning it for the first time through prep books. I would take the pre-reqs that would be most helpful for the MCAT just to make your life easier while studying.

1B03 will be the most helpful, the only part of 1BB3 that helps on the MCAT is the circular motion/torque/electromagnetism, but since 1BB3 doesn't cover circuits it's not even super helpful. If you took gr12 physics you should be okay for most of the MCAT physical sciences (not the gen. chem section obviously).

justlily says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.

justlily likes this.
Old 07-02-2011 at 12:26 AM   #4
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

Hey! I'm in first year life sci too! I'm taking Math 1LS3 just cause it's the easier one, I want to go to med school too and I might give my MCAT this year so I'm studying for it right now and math isn't really relevant to it.

As for physics, it's better to take 1B03 especially when you consider your major specialization for your honours degree e.g. for Molecular Biology & Genetics you need to have 1B03 regardless of whether you've done 1LS3 so just check what you want your major to be and it's requirements

justlily says thanks to IqzFendi for this post.
Old 07-02-2011 at 12:48 AM   #5
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by IqzFendi View Post
Hey! I'm in first year life sci too! I'm taking Math 1LS3 just cause it's the easier one, I want to go to med school too and I might give my MCAT this year so I'm studying for it right now and math isn't really relevant to it.

As for physics, it's better to take 1B03 especially when you consider your major specialization for your honours degree e.g. for Molecular Biology & Genetics you need to have 1B03 regardless of whether you've done 1LS3 so just check what you want your major to be and it's requirements
This year as in BEFORE first year?? O_o
Old 07-02-2011 at 12:55 AM   #6
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

LOL, i'm kind of in first year but then again, not really in first year, i'm a transfer student so when I came into Mac, I already had 24 credits.

Yeah, might as well start now for the MCAT, i've started studying and I'll see if I'm ready by sept, I want to make sure I ace it by the 2nd or 3rd time :p haha
Old 07-04-2011 at 04:20 PM   #7
justlily

Thanks so much guys! I looked around the forum for different information, and feel that I've learned a lot.
Definitely not as lost as I was before. (WHERE WOULD I BE WITHOUT YOU GUYS)

I will take Physics 1B03 for sure, but unfortunately, I can't get a seat in Physics 1BB3, so I will probably try to do it during the summer or next year. (Is that a bad thing though?)

Also, I talked to some department teachers and current upper year students who have been in Life Science and I'm pretty sure I'll be taking Math 1LS3. I'm just wondering about one thing though. I hear that if you get a good enough mark in 1LS3, I believe it's 7+, then it can count as a Math 1A03 credit and so you can take Math 1AA3 if you'd like. In that case, if I choose to take more math courses in the future, will I find it tougher since I didn't take 1A03 from the start? Does it make any difference? I'd take Math 1A03 if I could, to be honest, but I have a really heavy courseload for first year.

Which leads me to ask... Please let me know whether I'll regret my choices or not. *die*

!! Taking into consideration I'm planning to apply to Health Sciences (level 2) next year, and also an Honours level 2 Science (don't know which one yet, but probably Life Sci, Bio with Physiology Specialization, BioChem, or Psych/Neurosci/Behaviour), just in case I don't get into HS.

First Year Courseload

Term 1:

BIO 1M03
CHEM 1A03
MATH 1LS3
PSYCH 1X03
KINESIOL 1Y03

Term 2:

BIO 1A03
CHEM 1AA3
KINESIOL 1YY3
PHYSICS 1B03
PSYCH 1XX3

THANK YOUUUUU!!
Old 07-04-2011 at 04:21 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Here are some threads about 1A03 vs 1LS3 if you haven't checked them out yet:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ight=1ls3 +1a03

SandraM likes this.
Old 07-04-2011 at 04:24 PM   #9
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:

Also, I talked to some department teachers and current upper year students who have been in Life Science and I'm pretty sure I'll be taking Math 1LS3. I'm just wondering about one thing though. I hear that if you get a good enough mark in 1LS3, I believe it's 7+, then it can count as a Math 1A03 credit and so you can take Math 1AA3 if you'd like. In that case, if I choose to take more math courses in the future, will I find it tougher since I didn't take 1A03 from the start? Does it make any difference? I'd take Math 1A03 if I could, to be honest, but I have a really heavy courseload for first year.
As long as you get at least a B-, then you're good for math 1AA3 if you want to take it
http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/courses/...?cou rse_id=9
Old 07-04-2011 at 04:28 PM   #10
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Thanks so much guys! I looked around the forum for different information, and feel that I've learned a lot.

I will take Physics 1B03 for sure, but unfortunately, I can't get a seat in Physics 1BB3, so I will probably try to do it during the summer or next year. (Is that a bad thing though?)

Which leads me to ask... Please let me know whether I'll regret my choices or not. *die*

!! Taking into consideration I'm planning to apply to Health Sciences (level 2) next year, and also an Honours level 2 Science (don't know which one yet, but probably Life Sci, Bio with Physiology Specialization, BioChem, or Psych/Neurosci/Behaviour), just in case I don't get into HS.

First Year Courseload

Term 1:

BIO 1M03
CHEM 1A03
MATH 1LS3
PSYCH 1X03
KINESIOL 1Y03

Term 2:

BIO 1A03
CHEM 1AA3
KINESIOL 1YY3
PHYSICS 1B03
PSYCH 1XX3

THANK YOUUUUU!!
Your courses are fine, they're almost exactly what I had in first year Life Sci except I took French 1A06 instead of the two kins. With those courses, I was able to get into health sci, biopsych, bio physio specialization and honours bio. So if you do well in first year, you should be fine for your second year life sci courses. Keep in mind you can only apply for 4 second year programs though (health sci included) so you're going to have to narrow down your choices.

About taking physics 1BB3 over the summer, I would actually recommend that if physics isn't your strong suit. I did 1B03 during the year and because I'm not terribly good at physics, I did pretty bad. So now I'm taking the equivalent of 1BB3 at UTSC and I'm doing better, mainly because I have more time to focus on the readings and the assignments.
Old 07-04-2011 at 04:57 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:

First Year Courseload

Term 1:

BIO 1M03
CHEM 1A03
MATH 1LS3
PSYCH 1X03
KINESIOL 1Y03

Term 2:

BIO 1A03
CHEM 1AA3
KINESIOL 1YY3
PHYSICS 1B03
PSYCH 1XX3

THANK YOUUUUU!!
You can also take Math 1LT3 after Math 1LS3 instead of Math 1AA3.
Old 07-05-2011 at 01:37 PM   #12
biochemer

Liked: 11 Times

just a heads up..Math 1AA3/LT3 is mainly differential equations and series/sequences..not too hard, but not that easy either, so if you don't like series/sequences don't take it, lol
Old 07-07-2011 at 09:25 PM   #13
justlily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Your courses are fine, they're almost exactly what I had in first year Life Sci except I took French 1A06 instead of the two kins. With those courses, I was able to get into health sci, biopsych, bio physio specialization and honours bio. So if you do well in first year, you should be fine for your second year life sci courses. Keep in mind you can only apply for 4 second year programs though (health sci included) so you're going to have to narrow down your choices.

About taking physics 1BB3 over the summer, I would actually recommend that if physics isn't your strong suit. I did 1B03 during the year and because I'm not terribly good at physics, I did pretty bad. So now I'm taking the equivalent of 1BB3 at UTSC and I'm doing better, mainly because I have more time to focus on the readings and the assignments.
After more consideration, I've decided to take 1A03, for simplicity's sake since I don't want to have to worry about what to do for second year. OTL

Since you are a transfer student to HS, I hope you don't mind me asking you some questions lol!

I was planning to take Kins 1Y03/1YY3 simply because I find them interesting.
However, I'm worried that I might not be able to make the cut off range for HS next year...
I know the cut off is 10+, but is that calculated from the average of all your courses? Or is it that all your courses must be 10+? Or is it the average of the required courses, meaning the two level one bio and chems?
Sorry, was kind of confused about this, haha.

The other thing is, would you recommend taking the Kins? I know you didn't take them, but is there a particular reason why?
I'm worried since there is still the possibility that I might not get into HS next year, in which case, I will really regret not taking the Kins, especially so since a lot of people are telling me that the two courses are extremely popular.
Would it be alright to take Kins 1Y03 and then take 1YY3 next year, if I do get into HS? Because it seems to be the best option for me right now.

I'm not that bad at physics, so I think I'll enjoy 1B03 during the school year. What I'm worried about is 1BB3 because most US med schools require a full year of physics and I'm wondering whether taking 1BB3 during the summer is bad. )8 While we're on this subject, I think most med schools also require a full year of math. In that case, would just taking 1A03 this year, and then taking another math course next year be okay? Can doing that also be considered taking 'one full year of math'?

Sorry for all the questions! I really think I'm going paranoid with all this course selection anxiety (ahhh!).

But srsly, thank you so much!
Old 07-07-2011 at 09:30 PM   #14
justlily

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemer View Post
just a heads up..Math 1AA3/LT3 is mainly differential equations and series/sequences..not too hard, but not that easy either, so if you don't like series/sequences don't take it, lol
I love differential equations, but was never a big fan of sequences and series.
I also don't like that a lot of people are saying 1LS3 is a lot like a repeat of grade 12 calc + advanced functions, so that's why I'm planning to take 1A03 now. XD

I'm a bit scared though, because a lot of people are saying 1A03 is hard and that the exam is a major killer lol.
Obviously I'll study really hard, and I'm not that bad at math either, but when tests and examinations ask unfair questions, it just screws everyone over.

In any case, I plan to form many study groups with the new friends I'll meet in the class and just hope for the best. : )
Old 07-07-2011 at 09:35 PM   #15
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
After more consideration, I've decided to take 1A03, for simplicity's sake since I don't want to have to worry about what to do for second year. OTL

Since you are a transfer student to HS, I hope you don't mind me asking you some questions lol!

I was planning to take Kins 1Y03/1YY3 simply because I find them interesting.
However, I'm worried that I might not be able to make the cut off range for HS next year...
I know the cut off is 10+, but is that calculated from the average of all your courses? Or is it that all your courses must be 10+? Or is it the average of the required courses, meaning the two level one bio and chems?
Sorry, was kind of confused about this, haha.

The other thing is, would you recommend taking the Kins? I know you didn't take them, but is there a particular reason why?
I'm worried since there is still the possibility that I might not get into HS next year, in which case, I will really regret not taking the Kins, especially so since a lot of people are telling me that the two courses are extremely popular.
Would it be alright to take Kins 1Y03 and then take 1YY3 next year, if I do get into HS? Because it seems to be the best option for me right now.

I'm not that bad at physics, so I think I'll enjoy 1B03 during the school year. What I'm worried about is 1BB3 because most US med schools require a full year of physics and I'm wondering whether taking 1BB3 during the summer is bad. )8 While we're on this subject, I think most med schools also require a full year of math. In that case, would just taking 1A03 this year, and then taking another math course next year be okay? Can doing that also be considered taking 'one full year of math'?

Sorry for all the questions! I really think I'm going paranoid with all this course selection anxiety (ahhh!).

But srsly, thank you so much!
Lmao ok let me try to organize your questions

1) The 10/12 cutoff is the average of ALL your first year courses. Not too sure what you mean by the "required" courses. Do you mean required for first year life sci or for transferring into health sci? Either way, it's the average of all your courses.

2) I didn't take the kins because I wanted to take French; I'm planning on minoring in it. The two courses are indeed very popular. IMO, I would take kin first year. The two kins are anti-requisites for the HS anatomy courses so if you take the kins and you get into HS next year, there's two big courses off your load. And that'll help because second year HS is apparently the hardest. Not too sure what you meant by "and then take 1YY3 next year, if I do get into HS?". If you only take 1Y03 first year and you get into HS, you can only waive the first HS anatomy course. You'll still have to take the second semester anatomy course, which is an anti-requisite for kin 1YY3. And keep in mind that if you only take 1Y03 this year and you don't get into HS, there's a good chance you might not get into 1YY3 in second year because of its popularity.

3) Most Canadian med schools don't require a full year of physics or math. Most American med schools do though; which are you planning on applying to? And yea, you can split up the two maths, as long as you take a total of one year of math. It's exactly what I'm doing. First year I took 1LS3 first semester and in second year second semester I'll be taking 1LT3.

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions, feel free to message or PM

Also, here's a thread about transferring from LS to HS:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...0.html?t=44650