100%100%100%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 83%
Physics 1BB3

Abcde
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Physics 1BB3!

Old 05-22-2011 at 10:37 PM   #2
nadia1

Liked: 3 Times
can anyone tell me what chapters were covered or does anyone have the reading list for this course?
Old 06-13-2011 at 08:39 PM   #3
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times
Simple course. Felt like high school again lol. Though labs were very new to me and I had fun doing the labs. Writing lab reports were a good experience too.

Here's a breakdown of the topics/chapters from the textbook:

Motion in a Circle -

1st. ed. Chapter 7: 7.1–6
2nd ed. Chapters 4: 4.5–7, 8: 8.2–7

Rotational Motion -
1st. ed. Chapter 13; 13.1-10
2nd. ed. Chapters 12: 12.1–11

Electric Field -

Chapter 25; 25.5-6 1st Ed.
Chapter 26; 26.1-2 & 26.5-7 1st Ed.

Chapter 26; 26.5-6 2nd Ed.
Chapter 27; 27.1-2 & 27.5-7 2nd Ed.

Electric Potential (there could be a mistake here, but this is what I think was suppose to be in the lecture note) -

1st ed. Chapter 29; 29.1–7
1st ed.Chapter 30; 30.1–3

2nd ed.Chapter 29; 29.1–7
2nd ed. Chapter 30; 30.1–3

Intro to Quantum Physics -
Chapter 37; 37.1, 37.4-9, Ed 1
Chapter:38, 381-3, 38.5-7 Ed 1 + **

Chapter 38; 38.1, 38.4-9, Ed 2
Chapter:39, 391-3, 38.5-7 Ed 2 + **

Quantization -
Chapter 38; 38.4 Ed 1
Chapter 39; 39.1-6 Ed 1
Chapter 40; 40.1-40.5, 40.6 Ed 1

Chapter 39; 39.4 Ed 2
Chapter 40; 40.1-6 Ed 2
Chapter 41; 41.1-41.5, 41.6 Ed 2

Atomic Physics is also a topic that could be covered in this course, but it wasn't due to time constraints of the winter 2011 class.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Physics1BB3-Outline-W11-online.pdf (27.7 KB, 129 views)

5.98e24, kaitotst, nadia1, traveler10 all say thanks to particle for this post.
Old 11-29-2011 at 12:59 PM   #4
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times
Physics 1BB3 Review - Fall 2011
I am in the course now and I have found it to be rather frustrating. The professor for this term, Dr. Fradin, has made a seemingly simple course incredibly difficult.

She moves through material very slowly, repeating and overly analyzing simple concepts asked in I-clicker questions just because three or four students get the question wrong. She does not hold office hours, so it seems like the course is essentially to be self-taught, with lecture as her "office hours".

Her intent was to place the class average at 8, but in attempting to do that she has had to bell one midterm and one lab already. Both midterms were too long, especially the first and I only met a few people who finished it.

She is redesigning the labs for this course, so my section has essentially become test subjects for her new labs. The third lab, on electrocardiography (ECG) was very disorganized and the students were given little direction outside of how to operate the equipment. As a result, the grades were poor and she will adjust them. It struck me that the ECG would have made a fine demonstration in-class, but it was a poor excuse for a lab.

This is unfortunate, because the material is actually interesting, but I would strongly recommend avoiding Dr. Fradin at all costs.

Old 05-19-2012 at 09:22 PM   #5
guptas46

Liked: 9 Times
should i take this with fradin or nejat... don't see any ringing endorsements for either :O
Old 05-27-2012 at 12:06 PM   #6
swarly

Liked: 7 Times
How is the difficulty of this course in comparison to Physics 1B03?

akbansal says thanks to swarly for this post.
Old 06-04-2012 at 09:21 AM   #7
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarly View Post
How is the difficulty of this course in comparison to Physics 1B03?
Bump. How much tougher does the material get? Are the labs as annoying as 1B03?
Old 06-09-2012 at 02:38 PM   #8
mini1s

Liked: 0 Times
First term is taught by Dr. Nejat and second term is taught by Dr. Fradin. Which prof would be better?
Old 06-11-2012 at 10:39 AM   #9
sejd

How difficult are the labs and midterms for this course?
Old 06-11-2012 at 03:21 PM   #10
khano22

Liked: 3 Times
The labs are very demanding! You will be writing a formal lab report every two weeks, which can take you quite a bit of time if you were not prepared for the lab to begin with (or you just werent paying attention in the lab).
The labs will definitely build your scientific writing and inquiry skills. They give you freedom in terms of what you specifically want to investigate, how many graphs you want to add, etc. I generally got 80s (just one 90+) and the TAs helped me bump up a few marks occasionally

The midterms are not too hard. I agree with Alchemist11 in that the midterms can have trick questions. They are definitely easier than physics 1B03.

mini1s, I had nejat and I know a lot of people who had trouble undestanding him. I have heard that Fradin is clear in her explanations for this course. I am working for her now and I can tell you that she tries hard to make students understand. If I were you, Id go with Fradin.
Old 08-09-2012 at 11:26 PM   #11
airmin2

I took this course in summer school and I had Dr. Massa as a professor. He is by far one of the best professors I have had so far and made the course very interesting. There was a lot of content to be learned but the midterms were ok. However the labs are very time consuming and require a lot of effort if you want to do well on them. Overall this course wasn't too difficult
Old 07-30-2013 at 05:15 PM   #12
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times
This course is no longer what it used to be. Even Dr. Massa has made this course hard during the summer, although he is the best lecturer. The labs have increased in difficulty considerably and the TAs expect a lot of work from you. The labs are interesting but the analysis required to be completed is very time-consuming and requires lots of thoughts. During the year, you get two weeks to hand a lab report in. In the summer, that same lab report is due in 36 hours. As well, a background in stats is a must to be able to correctly analyze the lab data. We had marks consistently taken off because we didn't interpret data correctly and it was really unfair. Also, there is only one midterm now (according to Massa) instead of two tests and it is weighted at 25%. This course is becoming more like 1B03 as each semester passes and it won't be long before this course levels with 1B03 in terms of difficulty. I would not recommend this course to anyone who doesn't need it. You can do the MCAT prep from the books and learn the stuff taught in this course. You can avoid the labs by doing that as well. Only take this course if its required for grad school or your program.
Old 07-30-2013 at 09:51 PM   #13
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsingh View Post
This course is no longer what it used to be. Even Dr. Massa has made this course hard during the summer, although he is the best lecturer. The labs have increased in difficulty considerably and the TAs expect a lot of work from you. The labs are interesting but the analysis required to be completed is very time-consuming and requires lots of thoughts. During the year, you get two weeks to hand a lab report in. In the summer, that same lab report is due in 36 hours. As well, a background in stats is a must to be able to correctly analyze the lab data. We had marks consistently taken off because we didn't interpret data correctly and it was really unfair. Also, there is only one midterm now (according to Massa) instead of two tests and it is weighted at 25%. This course is becoming more like 1B03 as each semester passes and it won't be long before this course levels with 1B03 in terms of difficulty. I would not recommend this course to anyone who doesn't need it. You can do the MCAT prep from the books and learn the stuff taught in this course. You can avoid the labs by doing that as well. Only take this course if its required for grad school or your program.
most science classes that have 2 midterms during the year have only 1 in summer. and obviously you will get less time to do a lab report in the summer. and how do you know what this course used to be. you took it multiple times?
Old 08-03-2013 at 11:43 PM   #14
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times
This course had two midterms in 2012 when I took it in the summer. Now a friend of mine is taking it right now and it has changed to one midterm like 1b03. I know the changes in this course since a lot of my friends took it over the past three years. Reflecting on the changes of this course and many people asking for a review for this course, I thought it would be helpful for others to have a recent review.
Old 05-22-2017 at 11:44 PM   #15
shaikhom

Physics 1AA3
Can someone please update this? I believe the course is now called 1AA3 and is taught by Nejat

Last edited by shaikhom : 05-22-2017 at 11:57 PM.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search