MacInsiders Logo

Physics 1L03 Exam Advice

Old 04-10-2010 at 10:41 PM   #1
pat2010

Liked: 0 Times

Physics 1L03 Exam Advice
Hey! So my physics 1L03 exam is this tuesday. I was wondering if anyone who has taken the course had any advice or study tips. Also I've heard from some people that last sememster the exam had atleast four questions about the ear and how we hear sound (from the last lecture). I was wondering how detailed I should then be preparing for the biology- physics portion. Would you say that it's neseccary to know the names of various parts of the ear and their relative locations on a diagram? (i.e.Organ of Corti sits under the basilar membrane)? Is it also important to know various biology concepts (i.e. the parts of the inner ear are: cochlea, vestibule and semicircular canals)? Or just know the basic functions of each part?

Also were there mostly basic calculation questions? Were the questions more challenging than tutorials or quizzes or CAPAs? What is the best way to prepare?

Last edited by pat2010 : 04-10-2010 at 10:45 PM.

goodnews.inc, Keenu all say thanks to pat2010 for this post.
Old 04-10-2010 at 11:15 PM   #2
pinkpiggydoe

Liked: 14 Times

when i took it last year, there was a fair portion where it was biology based questions (took it with dr. nejat) so i would make sure u review those slides (which i only skimmed over =( )

i think a few of the questions were capa questions too

sorry if i wasnt of much help, all i remember was being taken aback by the biology questions on the exam...

goodnews.inc, pat2010 all say thanks to pinkpiggydoe for this post.
Old 04-10-2010 at 11:21 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

What was the Bio focus on?
Was it focusing on Biology throughout the course or just through a few particular sections?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

pat2010 says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 04-10-2010 at 11:31 PM   #4
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
What was the Bio focus on?
Was it focusing on Biology throughout the course or just through a few particular sections?
theres about two chapters on basic biology, in the beginning of the course you talk about echolocation, basic hominin structure, components of the ear and there functions.

To OP, know the theory behind the physics, make sure you know the theoretical component of forces. When i took it there were more theoretical questions then calculation based questions

goodnews.inc, pat2010 all say thanks to healthsci1 for this post.
Old 04-11-2010 at 12:28 AM   #5
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Know why lucy walks

pat2010 says thanks to manu for this post.
Old 04-11-2010 at 07:03 PM   #6
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

honestly, from what i remember (took it last year) there wasnt a focus on the biology at all. I dont remember any question that asked to named specific parts of the ear etc. I remember redoing the capa questions and the tutorial questions and ended up with a 27/30 on the exam.

pat2010 says thanks to sycoman for this post.
Old 04-11-2010 at 07:09 PM   #7
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

There were a lot more calculation questions on the exam than the midterm. I also didn't focus on the biological aspects too much and just knew the general of what each thing did and how it related to physics and did well on the exam as well.

pat2010 says thanks to Cristina_n13 for this post.
Old 04-11-2010 at 10:29 PM   #8
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

I took Physics IL03 last year with Dr. Nejat and I have to agree with last two posts. There were very few biology based questions (and if I am remembering correctly, out of the biology questions, one was on Lucy and one was on the ossicles).

I would not recommend memorizing every single diagram and the location of the various parts. You should know the biology concepts, but I doubt you will be tested on specific details (focus on the general idea).

The main part of the exam was made up of calculation and theory questions (a lot of theory questions!) Some calculation questions were basic while others were more complex. However, I would not say that any questions were more challenging than the questions from the tutorials/quizzes/CAPAs.

Hope that helps and good luck!!

pat2010 says thanks to rrtt for this post.