MacInsiders Logo

Physics 1L03 - Kinesiology

Old 06-21-2012 at 11:45 AM   #1
Farky

Liked: 0 Times

Physics 1L03 - Kinesiology
Alrighty
I'm going into first year kinesiology in the fall. The calendar is telling me that I might want to consider taking physics 1L03. I only took grade 11 physics in summer school. I'm not sure whether I might actually need this course to help me later for biomechanics, or if its going to be a waste of time & effort. Has anyone else encountered this dilemma?
Old 06-21-2012 at 03:20 PM   #2
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

This course helps A LOOOOOOOOOT with biomechanics. Took it over the summer, and it was FULL of kinesiology students. Lots of real-life examples with torque and forces.
I'd recommend looking over a syllabus/course outline and seeing if the topics covered are ones you are comfortable with. If so, maybe try something a little harder (1B03). If not, good thing you checked! :.)
Old 06-25-2012 at 11:28 AM   #3
Farky

Was it a really heavy work load course?
Old 06-25-2012 at 11:30 AM   #4
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

i think its one of the easiest courses at mac.
Old 06-25-2012 at 12:46 PM   #5
Farky

Seriously?!? I've never heard of an easy physics course..
Are we both talking about this course http://tinyurl.com/6p7f86r?
Old 06-25-2012 at 12:48 PM   #6
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

yea, i've heard its a bird course pretty much and judging by my friends grades in them, i can see why its considered bird.
Old 06-25-2012 at 01:05 PM   #7
Farky

Wow, Thanks
Old 06-25-2012 at 03:04 PM   #8
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

Grade 11 physics likely isn't sufficient prep for Biomechanics (it deals with a ton of rotational mechanics, since this is what muscle action about joints is modelled by). 1L should help, and 1B will render second year biomechanics very dull.
Old 06-25-2012 at 03:12 PM   #9
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

It really depends. It doesn't hurt to have it, and people who have taken more physics tend to do better in biomechanics but some people don't need it. Even if it comes easy, taking it at worst gives you an easier class.
Old 06-25-2012 at 03:56 PM   #10
immastar

I would recommend taking it. Some of the stuff in biomechanics such as torque and all were taught pretty well in PHYSICS 1L03 and when it came up in biomechanics, it was the exact same stuff and so it made it much easier. Also in general since ppl who take the course arent required to have a physics background, it starts from the basics so really any prior knowledge in physics will help you do well.

That's just my opinion... hope that helps!
Old 06-25-2012 at 10:08 PM   #11
Schen

Liked: 3 Times

Hi, I took Physics this past fall with Dr. Nejat. To be honest, if you are taking this course for biomechanics, it might not be that beneficial as it seems. When Dr. Nejat taught the applications to the human body from this course, it was very unclear; it seemed as though he just briefly skimmed through it and didn't go in depth at all. In addition our midterms did not cover any of the human body applications. On the exam, he put about 3 questions relating to the ear and 1 question relating to human body. However if you are looking for a bird course, I know people who have only taken grade 11 physics and got a 12 in the course. The MCQ might be a little tricky here and there, but if you truly understand the material then you are more then fine in this course.