Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Physiology Course List pinkpiggydoe Academics 8 04-21-2010 06:16 PM

Physiology at mac

Old 01-18-2012 at 07:01 PM   #1
winter02

Liked: 7 Times

Physiology at mac
Hey guys, can anyone tell me how the Honours Biology (Physiology specialization) program is like? Considering it along with biochem =S. How is the workload, like is it a lot or is it manageable? Oh, and what would ur opinion be on taking Bio 2A03 and Kin 1YY3 in the same term?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2012 at 08:51 PM   #2
pinkpiggydoe

Liked: 14 Times

Hi, I'm in my 4th year in the Physiology program.
I think the workload is definitely manageable..I think 2nd year was heaviest for me b/c of the organic chems (but you can take them in other years or even summer like others have). 2nd year physio isn't that different from the other programs.. i believe a lot of people had to take bio 2b03, 2c03 and 2a03 regardless...3rd year courses are where you start seeing physiology courses more (i.e cell physio, 3zz3 - topics in physiology, etc).. there's also a fair bit of electives so that you can take courses that you are interested in or to complete requirements for grad/professional schools (which was why i chose physio over biopsych actually)

sry haven't taken kin 1yy3 so can't comment =P

all in all, i'm glad i'm in physiology, even my thesis has turned out to be much more than i expected... i'm doing my thesis in Dr.O'Donnell's lab which works mainly with insect physiology but there are obviously others that may interest you

good luck
Old 01-18-2012 at 08:55 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I graduated in 2010 (guinea pig year). Physiology was tough, especially during third year with all the required courses. It's manageable. Taking 2A03 and 1YY3 isn't that difficult.

Old 01-18-2012 at 09:53 PM   #4
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

I was in bio phys in first term but switched into Biochem....I just stopped liking it after BIO 2F03.....also, after planning out my 3rd and 4th year I found that my path was very 2D (DISCLAIMER: Thats just my opinion)

Biochem: I like it alot right now....I'm taking 2BB3 and 3D03 and both of them are cool courses.
Old 01-18-2012 at 10:00 PM   #5
marido

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohit View Post
I was in bio phys in first term but switched into Biochem....I just stopped liking it after BIO 2F03.....also, after planning out my 3rd and 4th year I found that my path was very 2D (DISCLAIMER: Thats just my opinion)

Biochem: I like it alot right now....I'm taking 2BB3 and 3D03 and both of them are cool courses.
how did u switch your program after just 1 term?
I thought you can only switch after full year
Old 01-18-2012 at 10:27 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marido View Post
how did u switch your program after just 1 term?
I thought you can only switch after full year
You talk to an academic advisor.
Old 01-19-2012 at 12:03 AM   #7
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

Ya I spoke to the biochem office and they were like its fine....

I got a waiver for 2BB3 and 3D03

Next year I have to take: 2L06, 2P03 and 2B03
Old 01-19-2012 at 12:56 AM   #8
winter02

Oh wow guys thanks for the quick replies A quick question though. Is it physically possible to get into kin 1y03/1yy3 for 2nd year >< Like what are the chances of getting a seat? Also, this may be a stupid question, but is there any co-op options for physio?
Old 01-19-2012 at 07:54 AM   #9
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

^^^^ getting into kin is super hard if ur not in the program but not impossible, you just have to keep trying. and no there is unfortunately no co-op for physio.
Old 01-19-2012 at 11:02 PM   #10
mlui

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter02 View Post
Oh wow guys thanks for the quick replies A quick question though. Is it physically possible to get into kin 1y03/1yy3 for 2nd year >< Like what are the chances of getting a seat? Also, this may be a stupid question, but is there any co-op options for physio?
Getting into Kin 1Y03/1YY3 for second year won't be too difficult for two reasons:

1. You have a step-up from all the first years because you will have SOLAR access earlier
2. Starting this year, they opened up a second core class specifically because so many non-Kin students wanted to take the course....

So there's a pretty good chance you'll get it!

Also, I'm in the Bio (phys) program (third year) and I really enjoy it! The workload is manageable.
Old 01-20-2012 at 09:04 AM   #11
winter02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlui View Post
Getting into Kin 1Y03/1YY3 for second year won't be too difficult for two reasons:

1. You have a step-up from all the first years because you will have SOLAR access earlier
2. Starting this year, they opened up a second core class specifically because so many non-Kin students wanted to take the course....

So there's a pretty good chance you'll get it!

Also, I'm in the Bio (phys) program (third year) and I really enjoy it! The workload is manageable.
Ooh is that true? Where did you hear that kin 1y03/1yy3 will be getting an extra core? And isn't the majority of the spots for kin still reserved for 1st years regardless of their program ><? As in theres limited spots for upper years combined (4th,3rd, and 2nd).
Old 01-20-2012 at 09:30 AM   #12
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Ooh is that true? Where did you hear that kin 1y03/1yy3 will be getting an extra core? And isn't the majority of the spots for kin still reserved for 1st years regardless of their program ><? As in theres limited spots for upper years combined (4th,3rd, and 2nd).
It's not getting an extra core. It's just that the Dept. of Kin students actually are in Kin 1A03 instead of 1Y03 now. They have different lecture times and are anti-requisites, but they were taught by the same profs.

Source: I was curious and checked the Master Timetable.
Old 01-20-2012 at 02:26 PM   #13
winter02

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
It's not getting an extra core. It's just that the Dept. of Kin students actually are in Kin 1A03 instead of 1Y03 now. They have different lecture times and are anti-requisites, but they were taught by the same profs.

Source: I was curious and checked the Master Timetable.
Oh, so your saying that kin students finally got into Kin 1A03 starting this term rather than taking up seats in Kin 1y03/1yy3 like they used to in previous years?
Old 01-20-2012 at 03:16 PM   #14
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Oh, so your saying that kin students finally got into Kin 1A03 starting this term rather than taking up seats in Kin 1y03/1yy3 like they used to in previous years?
There used to be only one core, that had both 1A03/1Y03 students. Now, the 1A03 students are separate, opening up around 200 spots for non-Kin students.
Old 01-20-2012 at 03:26 PM   #15
winter02

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRan View Post
There used to be only one core, that had both 1A03/1Y03 students. Now, the 1A03 students are separate, opening up around 200 spots for non-Kin students.
Ooh, awesome =D. Would you say it would be "kind of" possible to get into kin as a 2nd year now though? Or would the chances of actually getting in remain relatively low.