MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planetarium Night with the Geography and Earth Sciences Society! taylojl MacInsiders Announcements 7 02-09-2011 06:14 AM
Confucius Institute nerual Academics 9 07-10-2010 04:23 PM
Planetarium Night - Mac Outdoor Club Mac Outdoor MacInsiders Announcements 3 11-18-2009 09:37 PM
Society for Language Sciences: Pub Night! feonateresa MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-18-2009 08:07 PM

Planetarium Night with the Origins Institute Undergraduate Society!

Old 03-22-2011 at 11:24 AM   #1
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Planetarium Night with the Origins Institute Undergraduate Society!
Hey guys!

The Origins Institute Undergraduate Society is hosting a Planetarium Night on Thursday March 24, 2011 @8pm. (ALL ARE WELCOME)

At the WJ McCallion Planetarieum (BSB B149)

The show will be focused on Titan, Europa and Io.

Please arrive by 7:45 because we cannot let people in after the show starts.

Admission is $3.

Afterwards we shall head down to the Phoenix, this is a great chance to meet other Origins students and to learn more about the Origins Institute!

Peace,

Old 03-22-2011 at 06:11 PM   #2
amigojoe

Liked: 0 Times

Oh cool, planaterium night. Haven't been to one of those in ages.
Old 03-22-2011 at 07:57 PM   #3
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

Does anyone know what exactly goes on at these shows?

Is the Planetarium any good?

I'm not an origins student but I might be interested in going if it's worth it.
Old 03-22-2011 at 09:15 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Its alright; the projector is not the bes resolution, but its certainly an experience if you're never been.

I ended up sitting under where the focal point of several parts, so I ended up having to crane my neck a bit, otherwise good! I went to see the exoplanet one
Old 03-22-2011 at 09:30 PM   #5
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick.O View Post
Does anyone know what exactly goes on at these shows?

Is the Planetarium any good?

I'm not an origins student but I might be interested in going if it's worth it.
Basically, you sit on the side(s?) of a dome shaped room . Next, you stare at the ceiling while watching wondrous images come out from a projector placed in the centre of the room and listening to an educated speaker standing from a podium a foot away from the centre of the room. For the next hour or so you'll be so enthralled and captivated by the program (which we're planning on it being about Europa, Titan and Io or it may be sort of a Constellations 101 lecture) that you'll forget about all your worries and realize that your life would have been a miserable existence if you had not come out to the Planetarium that night.

justinsftw says thanks to ShouldBeStudying for this post.

britb, RyanC, tatski-p, xxsumz like this.
Old 03-24-2011 at 12:58 PM   #6
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Just a reminder that it's tonight *BUMP*
Old 03-24-2011 at 01:11 PM   #7
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Aaah why's it have to be tonight? I'm guessing there won't be another one until the fall semster? :(
Old 03-24-2011 at 01:33 PM   #8
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepper View Post
Aaah why's it have to be tonight? I'm guessing there won't be another one until the fall semster? :(
At least not with the OIUS(new club), we're planning on having many more planetarium nights next year, so be sure to come out to those. Here's a link to some other shows happening this semester if you're interested:

http://www.physics.mcmaster. ca/pla...age=schedu le
Old 03-24-2011 at 02:24 PM   #9
tatski-p

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
Basically, you sit on the side(s?) of a dome shaped room . Next, you stare at the ceiling while watching wondrous images come out from a projector placed in the centre of the room and listening to an educated speaker standing from a podium a foot away from the centre of the room. For the next hour or so you'll be so enthralled and captivated by the program (which we're planning on it being about Europa, Titan and Io or it may be sort of a Constellations 101 lecture) that you'll forget about all your worries and realize that your life would have been a miserable existence if you had not come out to the Planetarium that night.
Coming because of this description.
Old 03-24-2011 at 05:25 PM   #10
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatski-p View Post
Coming because of this description.
Sweet, see ya there!

tatski-p likes this.
Old 03-24-2011 at 05:43 PM   #11
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

This sounds like fun. I think I'll stop by for the show. All you MI users in attendance say hi to the really tall guy with the grey hoodie.

tatski-p likes this.
Old 03-24-2011 at 09:37 PM   #12
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

you guys should do earlier times if possible :( I live off-campus and 8pm isn't really a convenient time (not just me, but my other friends who are interested are in the same predicament).
Old 03-24-2011 at 11:44 PM   #13
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
you guys should do earlier times if possible :( I live off-campus and 8pm isn't really a convenient time (not just me, but my other friends who are interested are in the same predicament).
Hey, we'll take that into consideration. Also, thanks to everyone who showed up! I think I saw Replekia since there was only one tall guy in a grey hoodie. This was our second planetarium night and we're planning on having more next year, where we'll skip the basics(which most of us already knew) and jump right into more interesting topics
Old 03-25-2011 at 02:24 AM   #14
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

I stopped by with a friend, that was really quite good! Very interesting presentation and the planetarium was actually much better than I expected.

ShouldBeStudying says thanks to Patrick.O for this post.